Technical vs Progressive Metal

I'm sorry if that offends you

Doesn't offend me, I just don't agree with you.

:lol: we didnt mention Suffocation last time? Like i said dude i'm getting tired of these recycled arguments.

Did a word search, no results come back for "Suffocation" in that thread. The only reason these arguments get recycled is because they're never conclusively ended.

Also if i had time i wold type out the actual interview where most of the guys in the band basically say the same things that were said in that paragraph, but yea what would they know right?

Just tell me how to find it and I'll look myself. Decibel archives all their stuff online.

What did they do that other bands didnt do better?

Brutal death metal in the early 90's.

How are Atheist, Nocturnus, and Death even comparable to mid-90s and later tech-death? The former took after the tech-thrash bands, the latter were something completely different. Nocturnus has far more in common with Coroner and DBC than they do Suffocation, any period of Cannibal Corpse, or whatever else.

so we talked about the innovators of brutal death metal in that thread and Suffocation wasnt mentioned? Shame on us then. Maybe it was another time?

And yea we can disagree, still doesnt mean you're not wrong on them being watered down death metal. I can ask you to prove how they weren't watered down death metal and you wouldnt be able to prove me wrong because buddy that' pretty much a fact.

It's the May 2017 issue.

How are Atheist, Nocturnus, and Death even comparable to mid-90s and later tech-death? The former took after the tech-thrash bands, the latter were something completely different. Nocturnus has far more in common with Coroner and DBC than they do Suffocation, any period of Cannibal Corpse, or whatever else.
who compared them to later tech death? I was mentioning bands that were playing technically inclined death metal when early CC was around, which is what me and that dude were talking about. Having trouble following convo again? I've already mentioned the difference between old school technical death metal and tech-death numerous times dude. And btw it's not mid 90's, its late 90's.

It's the May 2017 issue.

Damn it's actually not archived. Gay. But that reviewer you quoted here contains perhaps a sample of what you're talking about:

In numerous late night sessions at Morrisound in Tampa, Burns told the band they lagged behind their peers in musicality and urged them to write better songs. Cannibal, which spent a month in the studio and a rental apartment trying to best themselves, answered the challenge with classics like “Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead” and “Stripped, Raped and Strangled.” Both songs have never left Cannibal’s setlist in the ensuing two-plus decades.

Just responding to that, I will admit and already have, that Cannibal Corpse upped their songwriting on The Bleeding and that I do agree that calling the band technical death metal is incorrect. Lagging behind in musicality is 100% fair because it's often seen, especially back then, that "brutal" bands were passe and dismissible. I think Carcass came to the same realisation that shock value and brutality will only take them so far, but this doesn't mean Carcass weren't making groundbreaking music in the sense that they had helped to created the goregrind subgenre, in the same way I would say Cannibal Corpse were groundbreaking because they had helped to create brutal death metal even though like Carcass they eventually decided to move on.

Symphonies of Sickness, like Tomb of the Mutilated, were sounds both abandoned and also captured in time as key examples of their respective subgenres that many subsequent bands went on to emulate.

so we talked about the innovators of brutal death metal in that thread and Suffocation wasnt mentioned? Shame on us then. Maybe it was another time?

Dude that thread is a bit of a shitshow in general, and the argument as usual devolved into us laughing at something I think. This is why this shit never ends because we never actually properly finish any debate.

I can ask you to prove how they weren't watered down death metal and you wouldnt be able to prove me wrong because buddy that' pretty much a fact.

4Yn2Xb.gif

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Damn it's actually not archived. Gay. But that reviewer you quoted here contains perhaps a sample of what you're talking about:

In numerous late night sessions at Morrisound in Tampa, Burns told the band they lagged behind their peers in musicality and urged them to write better songs. Cannibal, which spent a month in the studio and a rental apartment trying to best themselves, answered the challenge with classics like “Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead” and “Stripped, Raped and Strangled.” Both songs have never left Cannibal’s setlist in the ensuing two-plus decades.

Just responding to that, I will admit and already have, that Cannibal Corpse upped their songwriting on The Bleeding and that I do agree that calling the band technical death metal is incorrect. Lagging behind in musicality is 100% fair because it's often seen, especially back then, that "brutal" bands were passe and dismissible. I think Carcass came to the same realisation that shock value and brutality will only take them so far, but this doesn't mean Carcass weren't making groundbreaking music in the sense that they had helped to created the goregrind subgenre, in the same way I would say Cannibal Corpse were groundbreaking because they had helped to create brutal death metal even though like Carcass they eventually decided to move on.

Symphonies of Sickness, like Tomb of the Mutilated, were sounds both abandoned and also captured in time as key examples of their respective subgenres that many subsequent bands went on to emulate.

Dude that thread is a bit of a shitshow in general, and the argument as usual devolved into us laughing at something I think. This is why this shit never ends because we never actually properly finish any debate.

View attachment 19162
Wth i didn't need to type that shit up?? :lol:
Carcass truly did their own thing though. I wouldnt say there's a single album that sounds much like Symphonies when it came out and they branched out to a whole 'nother beast with Necroticism(which btw even influenced a lot of tech death bands). And then we already know they went on to become melo-death pioneers etc. They actually just about created a new sound and pioneered a whole sugenre ... twice? haha. Far more than just aesthetics i think. Anyway i dont wanna keep shitting on CC, they dont have a single bad album and are very consistent. I'm about blast Kill right now!

Wth i didn't need to type that shit up?? :lol:

Jesus did you type all that up from an actual magazine copy? :lol:

Carcass truly did their own thing though. I wouldnt say there's a single album that sounds much like Symphonies when it came out and they branched out to a whole 'nother beast with Necroticism(which btw even influenced a lot of tech death bands). And then we already know they went on to become melo-death pioneers etc. They actually just about created a new sound and pioneered a whole sugenre ... twice? haha. Far more than just aesthetics i think. Anyway i dont wanna keep shitting on CC, they dont have a single bad album and are very consistent. I'm about blast Kill right now!

Yeah Carcass aren't totally comparable, but I think they are in part because at one point their whole thing was brutality and shock value. They definitely went on to pioneer a bunch of other shit, and unlike them who were basically I think the sole creators of goregrind, Suffocation did brutal death metal before Cannibal Corpse. But anyways fair enough!

yeah i did :erk: haha so all of their articles are online? I'm not subscribed anymore but have like 10 or so back issues i still haven't read.

Not all unfortunately, that Cannibal Corpse interview you referenced is specified in that issue's table of contents but you can't read it for free online. Sucks! But I think anything solely written by a writer or contributor to the rag is archived for free online.

Necrophagist sucks.

Barnes-era Cannibal Corpse is the best. It’s pretty much hit or miss from there but I don’t really dislike anything I’ve heard by the band.

Hard to tell from an EP. Could be that they just wanted to do something else, though there are still traces of their avant-garde black metal on it.