Tell me about Odyssey....

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Hello everyone,

I am a big Dan Swano fan. I love his solo album Moontower and have all the Edge Of Sanity albums out of which Crimson and Purgatory Afterglow appeal to me the most. Nightingale's I is my favourite from the 3 albums that came out.

Now I'd like to check out Odyssey. Recently I read in an interview that Swano said Odyssey is a cross between a heavier Dream Theater and Candlemass, it piqued my interest.

I looked at big retailers online like Amazon.com but couldn't find any of their albums. So the first question is where can I buy Odyssey albums?

How many albums do they have and which one is their best? The Candlemass comparison sounds great, being a big Candlemass fan. Are the guitar solos anything similar to Dan's brother's sgtuff on Nightingale's I?

Thanks...

They've only released one disc, a self titled MCD with three songs: "I Am Two", "I Carry A Secret", "Amon-Ra". The total length is 18 minutes 33 seconds. The release is quite rare and hard to find.

Originally posted by Mezarkabul
When was this released?

1999, I believe. Dan sells copies of it directly, so if you have a hard time coming across it anywhere else, drop Dan a line and he'll hook you up with a copy, for probably LESS than you will find it anywhere else...

Originally posted by Mezarkabul
Does Dan sing more aggressively on the Odyssey stuff when compared with the songs of Nightingale?

How do I contact Dan?

Yes, he does sing more aggressively than he does on the Nightingale albums, largely because the music is decidedly more aggressive. In my opinion, this MCD features the best vocals of Dan's career, until I hear the new Nightingale album, at least. Dan's e-mail address is dan@swano.com You are guaranteed a reply from him, but it might not be right away. He's responded to every single e-mail I've sent him over the past two years, so let that speak for itself...

Dream Theatre and Candlemass?
Me, Dan and Rick wrote one song each for it so it kinda represents 3 different styles.

The first mine is mine = being the heaviest, and the best
Dan did the second = You know Dan, melodic and sweet
Rick did the third = Stale guitarplaying, decent track

But I still like most of it. Dan has never sung better.

In case you missed out on the cover and the actual cd, here it is.

odyssey-cover-cd.jpg