Test driving some 11-54 strings in drop C

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
So I decided to check out what all the fuss was about with the 11-54 strings in drop C and here's my little tone test with some new Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys.

I've heard Marcus's Holy Diver reamps being used a lot so I just played that riff for this test, but my version is quadtracked.

Setup was as follows:
Ibanez S with D Activator pickup > PODX3 to record dry reamp tracks > 4 instances of POD Farm. One track has no stomp box, one has the Rat emulation stomp, one has the Metalzone (Killer Z) emulation, and the last has the boost EQ stomp.

After I did a setup on my guitar for the increased tension, I was surprised to find how nice this gauge feels. The strings I had on before were 10-52, but the slightly larger gauge on that bottom C makes a really dramatic difference in stability and general ease of playing. The higher register sounds nice too and my high D string no longer frets out on the 12 fret anymore. The biggest disappointment for me is that the increased tension has completely destroyed the ability of my Z tremolo to flutter. Its very tight, but I guess I can live without that feature since I only do it for fun anyway.

Anyway, I hope this sounds okay and please offer any suggestions for improvement if you have any.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/868701/Splat%20Tone%20tests.mp3

I like this tone a lot man, and not just 'for a Pod Farm tone'.

How do you like the D Activator? I don't hear too many people talking about them, but I love mine.