Testament or Megadeth

mrthrax said:
both bands have a handful a great songs,i like testament better though,prctice what u preach could possibly the first metal song i heard so i have a soft spot for them.
I haven't heard that record in years but Preach, Perilous Nation, The Ballad and the instrumental still fucking go through my head! Good shit. I still love Christian's intro to Perilous Nation.

Testament classics- Low and Practice what You Preach, oh and the New order

Megadeth- classics Rust in Peace, Peace Sells But Whose Buying, Killing is My Business But Business is Good, and Countdown to extinction.

Low is actually some of my fave testament shit. Im sorry but James Murphy blows alex skolnick the fuck away for the testament style shit! I love skolnicks solos on practice what you preach though. Megadeth is probably my fave though just cause I love all their shit and chris and marty were gods!:headbang:

Peace sells is the best!

I have my share of love for Mustaines work, when I got into metal everyone was into Metallica but out of pure stubborness me and a friend bought Megadeth CDs instead. I fell in love with "Poison was the cure", "Liar" and "Psychotron". When someone has a party you can always find a guitar and start playing some intros and within 20 seconds someone comes up: "Hey, oh... you´re playing that cool song from "Last action hero", Megadeth right?"

I´m not sure if Dave cares much for Megadeth nowadays, the live show was good but that´s mostly because of the other guys in the band. Some new songs are very good but overall the quality has gone downhill.

On the other hand I´m one of those who like last 12 years of Testament more than the early period. Rougher and more intense. Not to say Alex can´t play guitar, but the new stuff (yeah The Gathering is 6 years old now) has the edge. They are great live too.

If you asked me 10 years ago I´d say Megadeth but I´m more into Testament.

Arg_Hamster said:
Not to say Alex can´t play guitar.
He can play like a motherfucker nowadays

I keep meaning to get the Gathering, but when I heard some bits it sounded a tad generic to me (but more interesting than the last 10 years of Slayer). I know, awesome people play on it.

The hell with it, I'll get it. Speaking of James Murphy, what's he been up to?

Megadeth. Imo Rust In Peace is better than anything Testament has ever done. I'm not a huge fan of either though. I like a few albums by both, and I'd see both bands live if I had the chance.

LuvataciousSkull said:
And remember:

The Big 4 was the Big 4 for a reason! :D

Dude, no offence but Testament was considered part of the Big 4 before Slayer released Reign In Blood. Back when Testament was known as Legacy up 'till Chuck joining the band basically. All on the strength of demos and live shows. They'd been working on what became The Legacy for about 4years before it came out I believe. Just a point I wanted to bring up. Oh ya, they were the big four because they were the biggest selling/most popular/influential bands in thrash. Not neccesarily the best. I agree that Anthrax and Slayer are among the best though!

have to say TestAmenT for sure. megadeth had a couple great albums in their time but TestAmenT are still making music that matters. heavier than ever. plus they were the first metal band i ever saw live opening for slayer so i am a little biased.

deathcube said:
have to say TestAmenT for sure. megadeth had a couple great albums in their time but TestAmenT are still making music that matters. heavier than ever. plus they were the first metal band i ever saw live opening for slayer so i am a little biased.
I don't want to start shit, because I don't care that much, but WHEN was the last Testament album???

jdelpi said:
I don't want to start shit, because I don't care that much, but WHEN was the last Testament album???

Exactly.

I think it's unfair to say that Testament are still 'making music' as they haven't written anything new since 1999 and, in my view, aren't going to. I say this because Eric Peterson has managed to squeeze out two Dragonlord albums in this time and, when you consider the fact that no one likes Dragonlord, you have to question Eric's commitment to the future of Testament and new material.

Chuck doens't want to tour that much anymore and the the reunion cemented the 'backward' direction of the band. Had Steve Smyth, Steve Di and Bostaph still been in the band I could see a new album but, as things are, I can't.