TGCD - Impressive?

even better cos I am too self confident listen to this:

(rain of july)

http://www.myspace.com/heavenwood

Rain of july is the track to check out, listen to it and then lsten in mono and listen as the guitars just... disappear - cos they are out of phase! (there is a faint center one but one is needed center to create the M+S)

Doesn't sound too bad. I think actually its quite similar to just double tracking guitar and panning hard left right, because its basically a way to stop the guitars from sounding like digital copies. Personal preference-wise, I think I prefer double-tracking guitars and panning left/right. But this doesn't sound bad...

Just to confirm thats not my work.. no no!!

Cqan i just ask one thing since were all learners, Katatonias great sound is not something i am acheiving to boast about, i genuinly love a lot of the work Facination street do, but I belive I can acheive close to the work they produce if I work at it.

Im getting there but I am not confident as to my direction sometimes, I got similar kit I am using, but the skill is what will get me down.

One thing I do have to admit to is the guitars in katatonia are so fucking big, this is part of the 4 recording trick, possibly the M+S, but im still lacking something...

Actually fuck everything i just said its a load of bollocks.

I now know why I listen to katatonia.. cos Im so fucking depressed that I no longer write much music, find it so damb hard to mix anything anymore and quite frankly think life sucks to bits.

I always thought experimentation would be a key to get your music sounding good, I now know that experimentation is an excuse.

Hi!

It´s seems like you have got a lot of things wrong concerning TGCD album.

First of all the SSL bus compressor wont make your recordings sound like that album and for most of you, you wont even here the difference with it on or off. It is an awesome compressor but it wont save your mix.

Then the thing about the bass sound. Side-chaining your compressor with the bass drum has not much to do with the sound of the bass. It just makes the bass more leveled and helps the kick be clear in the mix. The bass sound is more in Mattias fingers, bass, bass amp, cabinet, microphones, microphone placement, preamps, eq and compressors m.m...

And then the guitars. I recorded all guitars for that album and I can promise you that there are no M/S technique on the guitars period!

About the microphone choice for Jonas vocals we choosed the best sounding microphone at the moment concerning his vocals and the preamp we used. It is not always the most expensive equipment that is the best for every sound source.

Good Luck with you recodings.

Take Care!

I now know why I listen to katatonia.. cos Im so fucking depressed that I no longer write much music, find it so damb hard to mix anything anymore and quite frankly think life sucks to bits.

I always thought experimentation would be a key to get your music sounding good, I now know that experimentation is an excuse.

What the FUCK are you on about. Christ...

Experimentation CAN be an excuse, but it's always very important to not get stuck. Progress is good as I reckon you'll probably agree with me.

You might want to check if you're bipolar though (just a sudden ridiculous thought...but who knows...many don't know they have it..and by the way this thread has gone...it just could seem a bit that way)

No matter what, don't give up..it seems you're learning all the time and have come a long way. This thread has been interesting..even if I don't know half of what you're talking about. Rock on!

Hi!

It´s seems like you have got a lot of things wrong concerning TGCD album.

First of all the SSL bus compressor wont make your recordings sound like that album and for most of you, you wont even here the difference with it on or off. It is an awesome compressor but it wont save your mix.

Then the thing about the bass sound. Side-chaining your compressor with the bass drum has not much to do with the sound of the bass. It just makes the bass more leveled and helps the kick be clear in the mix. The bass sound is more in Mattias fingers, bass, bass amp, cabinet, microphones, microphone placement, preamps, eq and compressors m.m...

And then the guitars. I recorded all guitars for that album and I can promise you that there are no M/S technique on the guitars period!

About the microphone choice for Jonas vocals we choosed the best sounding microphone at the moment concerning his vocals and the preamp we used. It is not always the most expensive equipment that is the best for every sound source.

Good Luck with you recodings.

Take Care!

Well thats taken care of that.. I assume that is you jens?

My appologies for a dire attempt at trying to work out stuff.

I learned a lot of this stuff in university and I see where you are arriving from Castillo, I just cant help but feel like I am missing something.

Ahh I wish I could just have a day with that man. I mean surely there must be something I am missing.. you saying that if I just recorded everything in, bit of eq and mild compression I would have a better mix than it I start pushing it through sonic maximizers and stuff?

hmm

I´m not Jens, I´m David Castillo.

There are sooo many factors involved when you are talking about recording and mixing so it´s hard to say if you are missing something and what you are missing...

My appologies, of course sorry I have only emailed Jens before.

Thanks for your input, I went back to my mixes and decided to have another go, needless to say I can appreciate the kit makes a difference, I think I let myself get a bit too lost in that one, still amazing how powerful that album sounds though, even with my kit (decent valve amp, quality mic pre's, SSL eq's etc) its amazing how it hits you..

Like I say I don't want to sound l;ike Katatonia, I just want my mixes to have an impressiveness to them.. thats why I am using this CD to reference.

Hey Myownsilence sorry if i sounded harsh, i was just being impulsive. Hope you get better from the depression you've been through. Being depressed blows.

Cheers for the support... i really appreciate it.

And please hammer me till I get this right. I am on a mission so I can produce my next album, my band are waiting for me to record them and I want to do a lot of the work myself. I am planning to work at a small studio, not much kit but it might help.

I have always been compulsive..

Yeah you need to find the correct tone for the guitars. You'll know it when you find it.
Try some new effect pedals. Other than that, the drums need to be lowered as well and
you will have yourself one catchy tune.

The guitars sound a bit roomy and therefore muddy, and the bass is too up-front.
As the others said the drums need to be lower, snare sounds strange, and I think you need crash cymbals ;)