Thanksgiving

yeah but you're in Texas, you're allowed to like them. :loco:

i mean the Dolphins are still my #1 team (my jersey even says NAD on it), but they obviously aren't going to the playoffs this season.

Sexy Little Otter said:
yeah but you're in Texas, you're allowed to like them. :loco:

i mean the Dolphins are still my #1 team (my jersey even says NAD on it), but they obviously aren't going to the playoffs this season.

Nad Marino :tickled:

Happy Turkey Day everyone!

J. and Zod, man after reading your "prep" comments I'm so glad things didn't get to that stage between me and my ex of one month. If it ever comes to that again - unless I consider Vegas I'm doing the far away beach wedding that is planned for you and the attendence is limited to immediate family only (unless you want to pay your way).

Jason

Dark One said:
J. and Zod, man after reading your "prep" comments I'm so glad things didn't get to that stage between me and my ex of one month. If it ever comes to that again - unless I consider Vegas I'm doing the far away beach wedding that is planned for you and the attendence is limited to immediate family only (unless you want to pay your way).
Those weddings are just as big a pain in the ass. You'll end up getting yourself involved in everyone's travel arrangements. Plus, some people resent being asked to travel for a wedding. And, do you really want you're immediate family to be, where ever it is you're going on your honetmoon? You'll be tunning into them constantly.

Zod

I honestly just want to spend time with a couple of friends who are back from college, but I suppose everyone my age is going to their grandparent's house anyway!

From Max Fucking Johnson to you, have a good one!

Well I was slated to have the house to myself for 3 days while the rest of the family went to New York, but they decided this morning they "didnt feel like driving." So once again I have to deal with people I despise on my brief holiday hours. Joy.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Well I was slated to have the house to myself for 3 days while the rest of the family went to New York, but they decided this morning they "didnt feel like driving." So once again I have to deal with people I despise on my brief holiday hours. Joy.

I feel for you. I suppose it's only a matter of years before we can totally not have to deal with this sort of thing ever again.

General Zod said:
Those weddings are just as big a pain in the ass. You'll end up getting yourself involved in everyone's travel arrangements.

Heh - I actually already had the travel arrangements mapped out before. My immediate family was willing to pay their way to get there. She didn't have any immediate family other than her son, who I would've paid for. Of course, I'm sure the story will be different for any girl I meet in the future.

General Zod said:
Plus, some people resent being asked to travel for a wedding.

Precisely. I want as intimate a wedding as possible. I'm just not into the whole "let's be fake to 100 people I see maybe once every 5 years" thing. I'm just not comfortable in that atmosphere. Ah, but it does give me a built in excuse to not invite people and not have to worry about getting shit for it.

General Zod said:
And, do you really want you're immediate family to be, where ever it is you're going on your honetmoon? You'll be tunning into them constantly.

Got that worked out too. Week 1 spent with family and maybe a few close friends or something. They go home - week 2 spent with the Mrs. :cool:

Dark One said:
Got that worked out too. Week 1 spent with family and maybe a few close friends or something. They go home - week 2 spent with the Mrs. :cool:
No thanks. Perhaps you're relationship with your family is different than with mine, but I do not want to hang with my family on my vacation. And whose says their going to go home week 2?

Zod

Russell said:
So, guys, I've never actually bothered looking this up, and can't really be arsed. What actually is thanksgiving all about?

The Real Story of the First Thanksgiving
By Benjamin Franklin (1785)

“There is a tradition that in the planting of New England, the first settlers met with many difficulties and hardships, as is generally the case when a civiliz’d people attempt to establish themselves in a wilderness country. Being so piously dispos’d, they sought relief from heaven by laying their wants and distresses before the Lord in frequent set days of fasting and prayer. Constant meditation and discourse on these subjects kept their minds gloomy and discontented, and like the children of Israel there were many dispos’d to return to the Egypt which persecution had induc’d them to abandon.

“At length, when it was proposed in the Assembly to proclaim another fast, a farmer of plain sense rose and remark’d that the inconveniences they suffer’d, and concerning which they had so often weary’d heaven with their complaints, were not so great as they might have expected, and were diminishing every day as the colony strengthen’d; that the earth began to reward their labour and furnish liberally for their subsistence; that their seas and rivers were full of fish, the air sweet, the climate healthy, and above all, they were in the full enjoyment of liberty, civil and religious.

“He therefore thought that reflecting and conversing on these subjects would be more comfortable and lead more to make them contented with their situation; and that it would be more becoming the gratitude they ow’d to the divine being, if instead of a fast they should proclaim a thanksgiving. His advice was taken, and from that day to this, they have in every year observ’d circumstances of public felicity sufficient to furnish employment for a Thanksgiving Day, which is therefore constantly ordered and religiously observed.”

nothing about indians planting corn, huh. next you're going to tell me they didnt really have those huge buckles on all their hats and shoes!