Thanksgiving

General Zod said:
No thanks. Perhaps you're relationship with your family is different than with mine, but I do not want to hang with my family on my vacation.

I'd have no problem whatsoever doing it. We're definitely close. It's just me, my mom, dad and sister anyway. Possibly one Aunt I'm close with.

General Zod said:
And whose says their going to go home week 2?

They already said they would. :)

DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME!!!

but haha, what an asshole. i just like his coaching is all. :tickled:

BAR-B-Q.jpg

*moves to... wherever the fuck that is*

i'm tired of this name btw, i hope Russell changes it soon. :tickled:

hahaha wtf is Lur?!?!

oh is this a Futurama thing? damn, don't know that one and i've watched a bit of those.

i need to watch more Futurama. i think someone is giving me some illegally copied, burned, and distributed DVDs of them shitz for xmas.

this even has a tie-in!!

The nordic "lur".
There are two types of lur (old nordic = luðr), one of metal (bronze) an one made by wood. 1. The bronze lur.

From the bronze age (1500 - 500 B.C)

More than 50 examples found in the nordic area
(North Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway)
Often found in pairs.

Mouthpiece very like a modern trombone mouthpiece.
The sound is closest to that of a tenor trombone.
Range: 8 - 10. partial, maybe up to 12. partial.
Length: 1,5 - 2,25 meter.
Conical
Caste in parts
"S"-form with a round decorative plate on the bell.
When in pairs they point in opposite direction (one look as seen in a mirror)
No written sources but pictures of it can be seen on rock carvings (e.g. Tanum in Baahuslen, Sweden).

2. The wooden Viking-lur
At Oseberg (close to where I live) they found a grave with a Viking ship.
Excavated in 1904, the 21.5 metres long Oseberg ship is the most magninficent of the Viking ship finds.
The ship can be seen at the Vikingskiphuset in Oslo.

In this grave find there was a lur, 1 meter long in 2 parts.
From literature one can guess that the lur has been used as a war instrument.
The Oseberg instrument dates back to 850 A.C

It looks very much like the folk instrument used up to this century among shepherds.
The main difference between the Oseberg lur and the shepherds lur is that the last one is held together
with birch bark. The viking lur parts were held together with willow rings.

3. The lur used today
The lur is stilled used.
A great player is Odd Lund. He performed on the opening of the 1994 Olympic Game in Lillehammer, and on the Nordic Ski World Championship, 1997 in Trondheim. He has made a CD where he plays both the lur and other natural instruments like the Rams Horn.

I play a lur (Bb tuning), made by the craftsman Magnar Storbækken, Tollgjelen, 2540 Tolga, NORWAY.

I work tmrw night, so I'm essentially declaring today Thanksgiving. Heavy Fucking Metal will be blaring to the rafters to honor the destruction of the buffalo and Injun tribes!!!

God damn I hate work, thinking that I have to celebrate tomorrow night with a bunch of people I can't stand makes my fuda rumble with anxiety. Blargh!