That "Clayman" sound....

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
So I'm checking out "Clayman" by In Flames, and I'm really blown away by the guitar sound. Anyone out there have any info on what they used?

-0z-

I have been searching for the answer to that question for a while now, and I don't know either. It really sounds like EMG 81s driving the rhythm channel of a 5150 to me, though, and I'm guessing a cab with Vintage 30s was used, either with 2 mics (at least one of which was pretty far off-axis) or with some drastic EQ to get that ~2 kHz spike like that with the 3.5 k underneath it, or maybe both. Although, looking at the grillecloth on Fredrik Nordström's Marshall cab underneath his 5150, it might be Greenbacks. All of that's just speculation, though, and I would appreciate some hard info just as much as OzNimbus. :)

At any rate, this is a great question. I think any metal band would sound rad with that production...I'd be curious to see what the room looked like as well. IMO it sounds like there's a hint of room verb in there that just makes the guitars sweet as hell....I'm with you guys: I would love to find out more about this.

I seem to remember it was the 5150, but /w the ENGL cab, not the Marshall cab. I just sent Nordström a text message about it, I'll post the answer here if I get one.

Edit: got an answer immediately; "it was a hell of a mix, call me some day and I will tell you everything I can remember". So I called him, but caught him at a bad time. So I will call again tomorrow.

Funny this is mentioned right now... was about to post about this as well, been spinning this disc for a couple of days now, and i can't believe how tight and punchy it sounds!!

I think we should all call him.. haha...

I've recorded three albums in Studio Fredman with my band The Storyteller (1999, 2001 and 2003), and the fact that I have Fredriks phone numbers is thereby neither strange or a big deal. :) And you can easily find the number to the studio if you really want it (no secret). However, he has recently moved the studio to a new location with a new number, and the website still has the old number listed.

TheStoryteller said:
I seem to remember it was the 5150, but /w the ENGL cab, not the Marshall cab. I just sent Nordström a text message about it, I'll post the answer here if I get one.

Edit: got an answer immediately; "it was a hell of a mix, call me some day and I will tell you everything I can remember". So I called him, but caught him at a bad time. So I will call again tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Great album! I'm interested to know this as well. Also, what about the clean sounds?

I was just listening to that CD and liking the snare sound alot. Am I crazy or is it actually a really good snare sound?

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
not my favourite kind of snare sound but it's cool in it's own way

It's quite possible I just haven't really explored snare sounds. I'm new at that kind of thing. :D

OzNimbus said:
Well, rumor has it that it was a 5150 on the green channel... I'm a little more curious about the mic setup.

A swedish magazine named "Studio" covered the Fredman guitarsound in an issue. I dont know if he used this for Clayman but the way he usually mikes his cabs is with two SM57's forming an arrow towards the speaker.
One straight on at the side of the dustcap, the other one angled towards the center.
It also stated that he sometimes uses a condensermike on a different speaker than the one that the SM57's cover