That "Clayman" sound....

Mark_Palangio said:
It just says...

"Prices
Call +46 (0) 31 15 59 55 or send us an email for offers.

and...

If you have any questions, whatsoever, do not hesitate to send us a mail at studio.fredman@swipnet.se or call us on +46 (0) 31 15 59 55."

I don't want to call him and bother him since I won't be recording there anytime soon, I just wanna know what the prices are.
When I was looking for someone to mix my bands album last year it was about $6500 for him to do it. Compared to some other quotes we got he was right in the middle of everyone. Very fair on his prices.

Well, I did a very quick test with that mic technique... and it's totally awesome.
Tomorrow I'm going to put it thru a battery of tests & configurations, i.e. matching mics, different in each position, amp settings, which speaker on my 4 by 12, etc.

Quick observations: The mic directly on the center cap is brittle as hell, and the off axis is very smooth. I find if the gain is matched, bring up the off axis mic & have the on axis mic about 8-12 db's lower. Things will lard up REAL quick when you combine the two, so be careful with those low mids. A multiband is a must here.

-0z-

OzNimbus said:
Well, I did a very quick test with that mic technique... and it's totally awesome.
Tomorrow I'm going to put it thru a battery of tests & configurations, i.e. matching mics, different in each position, amp settings, which speaker on my 4 by 12, etc.

Quick observations: The mic directly on the center cap is brittle as hell, and the off axis is very smooth. I find if the gain is matched, bring up the off axis mic & have the on axis mic about 8-12 db's lower. Things will lard up REAL quick when you combine the two, so be careful with those low mids. A C4 or similar is a must here.

-0z-

Wanna post a clip for us?

OzNimbus said:

Quick observations: The mic directly on the center cap is brittle as hell, and the off axis is very smooth. I find if the gain is matched, bring up the off axis mic & have the on axis mic about 8-12 db's lower. Things will lard up REAL quick when you combine the two, so be careful with those low mids. A C4 or similar is a must here.

-0z-

OzNimbus; your observations are correct. The centered mic should definitely be lower, and you also have to watch out for phase errors. The absolutely easiest way would be to do a test recording with both mics to separate tracks and take a look at the waveforms. They should match, or at least be very close. Otherwise; move one of the mics slightly and repeat the test.

Mark_Palangio said:
TheStoryteller, thanks for the photoshop pic! Does he have the mics that close to the cone? From your pic he would ahve to have the grill cloth off the cabs.

No, I exaggerated a bit for that illustration. The mics should be like ½ inch from the grill, or maybe a bit closer.

Mark_Palangio said:
EDIT: I just listened to the clips on your website, very good tone man! Cool stuff too. \m/

Thanks man. :) Clips on the site are from our new album Underworld, which was not recorded in Fredman. The exact same technique was used though, with a 5150 mk II, an ENGL cab and two SM57's.

TheStoryteller said:
OzNimbus; your observations are correct. The centered mic should definitely be lower, and you also have to watch out for phase errors. The absolutely easiest way would be to do a test recording with both mics to separate tracks and take a look at the waveforms. They should match, or at least be very close. Otherwise; move one of the mics slightly and repeat the test.

Belive me, phase was the first thing on my mind. In fact, I even wrote a small article on the subject:) http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4304212&postcount=77

Actually, I was quite surprised by how tight the phase is vs. other dual mic techniques I've tried. I think I've stumbled across my new favourite heavy guitar miking technique:hotjump: Thanks for all your help, Storyteller.:headbang:

-0z-

Shit, I just tried that mic technique too. 5150 combo loaded with V30s, and since I don't have 2 57s, I'm using a Røde NT1-A on-axis and a 57 off-axis. I made sure they were in phase, and... DAMN. What a sound. Thank you, Mr. Nordström, for this piece of sheer brilliance. What shrillness and fizziness the Vintage 30 and SM57 may have are completely smoothed out with this technique, and it adds a really aggressive snarl and unique character as well.

I can post a clip if anyone's interested.

Sorry about the guitar timing... it's a bit sloppy.

Rhythm tracks are Lead channel and Nordström method with the mics I said before, and lead/ambient tracks are Rhythm channel (go figure) with the SM57 straight on, just one mic.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jelmiger/mp3/5150 Nordstrom Mics.mp3

As for pictures, don't be fooled by the NT1-A's funny angle, the diaphragm is pointed pretty much straight at the dustcap, on-axis.

From the front:
DCP01750.JPG

Longer view above and to the left:
DCP01751.JPG

From directly above:
DCP01752.JPG

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

I'll be able to record pretty soon, I want to see what effect this has with my Revolution. It has a touch of fizziness that I dislike. I have an SM57 and a Beta57...which one should be centered and which one offset (in you guy's opinions)?