That "Clayman" sound....

Love all of the information in this thread. One thing that I wasn't clear on is how do you guys mix the two mics after recording. Early in the thread, it's mentioned to have the on-axis signal lower than the off-axis, but somewhere Glenn mentions the opposite. Just curious if I've misread parts of the thread.

I would assume the off-axis is a lot louder just by listening to the tone. It has that thick, gnarly sound you get from an off-axis mic. I think the on-axis is brought in just enough to give it the high-end you want.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life! I'm just now getting familiarized with Glenn and his YouTube channel, so it's awesome to read a thread when he's askign for guidance, like the rest of us.

I personally mixed my off-axis mic in about 6 to 10 db quieter than the on-axis mic.

100% on-axis mic=too bright
100% off-axis mic=too dark
50/50= combined to be too bassy

the more I lowered the off-axis mic, the more high end that came through. I just reduced it until I found the perfect balance.

To add on what you've said, that's also what's written earlier in the thread, IIRC it was TheStoryteller that told us first about that method. :)

If anyone wants an easy way to do Fredman mic'ing without messing with two stands, I sell a special mic clip that latches two SM57's together at 45 degrees to make it easy. A lot easier to move it around and try different positions without lining the two mics up every time.

Fredman mic'ing is bomb.

Fredman_Clip_001-600x478.jpg

http://www.wilkinsonaudio.com/product/fredman-mic-clip/

Cheers,

Alex

the last saturday I reamped guitars for a metalcore band called LIE FOR A SECRET through a 6505, a marshall cabinet loaded with v30s and two sm57 with the fredman technique, B position, and it sounds great!
Very good and pleasant sound to the ears, it needed very very little eq just to fit the mix and it's awesome.
Also I reamped the bass with the same rig :-D just rolled off the resonance and the gain knob :-D

Sorry about the guitar timing... it's a bit sloppy.

Rhythm tracks are Lead channel and Nordström method with the mics I said before, and lead/ambient tracks are Rhythm channel (go figure) with the SM57 straight on, just one mic.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jelmiger/mp3/5150 Nordstrom Mics.mp3

As for pictures, don't be fooled by the NT1-A's funny angle, the diaphragm is pointed pretty much straight at the dustcap, on-axis.

From the front:
DCP01750.JPG

Longer view above and to the left:
DCP01751.JPG

From directly above:
DCP01752.JPG

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

could you please re-upload your mp3 track with Nordstrom Mics.mp3?and lso your 5150 combo mic pics?thank you again