That "Clayman" sound....

I use the 2 sm57 technique always (flying V) - been working great for me to capture a good balanced guitar sound. Just done producing and mixing rock/metal band called WOLF from Sweden. We tried alotta different mic set ups but we ended up w the flying V technique.
Rawk On
Poumg

bump as a fuck (sry for that :))

I've got a question - when you do recordings with fredman technique, do u quadtrack?
I mean, If you reamp one track, you get 2 recorded tracks reamped tracks (captured by 2 microphones).
So, when you quadtrack, do you get finally 8 recorded tracks (from 4 sources) or is that too much and does that result into the unwanted "dirtyness" in mix?

If a player is tight enough, then sure, quad track him, but if he's not - just record one guitar hard left and the other hard right (the same principle as 'normal' micing).
What essentially this technique does if done right is - it beefs up the sound and kills the unwanted crap (fizz), so don't let it confuse you if you have 8 tracks of 'only' 4 performances.

re: Haunted
To Fragle:
They used 2 5150:s (mark 1 and 2) + 2 cabinets. On the main 5150 they took out one signal from the preamp output on the rear and into the second 5150 but in clean mode. Then out to 2 cabinets with 2 mics on each(4 mics totally) Using the flying V mic technique now famous on this forum:
Wok `n woll

Been thinking about how to replicate this with only the single 5150 I currently own. I'm thinking recursive re-amping.

Recording DI track (DI1)
Re-amp DI track thru 5150 preamp > DIbox > DAW (DI1.preamped)
Re-amp (DI1.preamped) thru 5150 clean > 412s

downside I can see is that it would be very hit and miss to get an idea of how to tweak the settings without hearing the two amps chained; perhaps I can substitute another tube amp (maybe old seymour duncan tube head) for the clean section in order to dial in the 5150 for a desired preamped signal.

I also wondered how it might sound with the 5150 mated with another tube amp entirely, might be interesting. Although it occurred to me that the 5150 recursion would accentuate the tone characteristics of the 5150 by stacking the response curves. Potentially meaning the mating of other heads like a mesa/mesa may produce other interesting characters in the same fashion, or conversely mixed heads might not yield head turning results.

Sorry... caffeinated geeking

This sounds really interesting and i'm going to finally try using this technique. The flip phase of one mike and move around until you hear only a sizzle really helps.

Anyone use a heil pr30 with a 57?

Do you think its going to work with an i5 and a57 instead of two 57?

Definitely. I bought an i5 from Lowberg here on the forum for that specific combo. My cab has a lot of high mids that get smoothed out, only thing is it emphasizes a lot of high bass for my room. I have this dip in my mids that I struggle with to some degree with a single 57, but this mic combo definitely captures what I want.

re: Haunted

Been thinking about how to replicate this with only the single 5150 I currently own. I'm thinking recursive re-amping.

Recording DI track (DI1)
Re-amp DI track thru 5150 preamp > DIbox > DAW (DI1.preamped)
Re-amp (DI1.preamped) thru 5150 clean > 412s

downside I can see is that it would be very hit and miss to get an idea of how to tweak the settings without hearing the two amps chained; perhaps I can substitute another tube amp (maybe old seymour duncan tube head) for the clean section in order to dial in the 5150 for a desired preamped signal.

I also wondered how it might sound with the 5150 mated with another tube amp entirely, might be interesting. Although it occurred to me that the 5150 recursion would accentuate the tone characteristics of the 5150 by stacking the response curves. Potentially meaning the mating of other heads like a mesa/mesa may produce other interesting characters in the same fashion, or conversely mixed heads might not yield head turning results.

Sorry... caffeinated geeking

Does this help?
revolver_12.jpg

guys, a practical question: I'd like to try the fredman technique on my v30 cab, but i have just an sm57 and a beta58. which one would you suggest to use on axis and which one off axis?
thanks

The beta 58 is brighter, has a narrower pattern and a slightly more pronounced proximity effect. I'd try it as the angled mic first, but honestly your best bet is to give it a try both ways.

The guy who does the "Meets metal" video says he picked up the quad-tracking from Andy Sneap, but actually does Octo-tracking since he records 4 guitars on the left and 4 on the right. He says that in a video. Experiment that too.

The guy who does the "Meets metal" video says he picked up the quad-tracking from Andy Sneap, but actually does Octo-tracking since he records 4 guitars on the left and 4 on the right. He says that in a video. Experiment that too.

That just seems like overkill to me. To each his own, I suppose.