That "Clayman" sound....

So i found some info on Mr.Sneap sending a sine wave through the reamp box to get a stereo pair in phase.

My thoughts.... are send a 60 Hz tone for two reasons......Its the fundamental frequency for my tuning i use (Drop C) and its easier to hear phasing issues in the low end... correct?

Any other cool phase correction/alignment techniques guys?

Appoligies if you think this is not relivent to the freidman technique but i think it is :Smokin: :kickass:

Wow, there's an old pic!

The phase cancellation is what makes the sound. Bring both faders up & then hit phase reverse... you'll hear what's being taken away from the sound. Pretty cool.

These days, I have the pair about 2-3 inches back from the cab to keep the proximity effect from building up too much while quad-tracking.

Hey OZ, did you dual or quad track the sample of your ENGL cab?

I guess I found this topic kind of late. I tried the technique today and bounced three different mixes of the results with different balances between the mics. This mix was the closest that I came to the "Clayman sound" however, I don't have a Peavey 5150/6505 so I can't get anywhere in the ballpark of the exact tone. Can anyone tell me how I am doing? Thanks :D

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8669479

Hey OZ, did you dual or quad track the sample of your ENGL cab?

Quad track. I always quad track.

Keep in mind, much of the sound (about 75-85%) comes from the technique. I didn't get my first good amp till I had been playing about 6 years... I had to play through something very close to this:
tc35.jpg

Which sounded fucking horrible. I had to work very hard on my technique to get any usable sound out of it... ...and fortunately that's carried over to my modern playing.

If you're not getting good results, check your mirror before you check your gear.

Keep in mind, much of the sound (about 75-85%) comes from the technique. I didn't get my first good amp till I had been playing about 6 years... I had to play through something very close to this:
tc35.jpg

Which sounded fucking horrible. I had to work very hard on my technique to get any usable sound out of it... ...and fortunately that's carried over to my modern playing.

If you're not getting good results, check your mirror before you check your gear.

I have to agree here. I struggled for a long long time before getting better equipment, and it forced me to really listen and tweak and listen again. That is a skill that will never fail you. Compare the track that I just posted above with what I USED to get for results, the only difference being a new amp:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8133655

Gear plays an important part, if it's not coming out of the amp then no amount of engineering will capture it, but good gear without a respectable amount of engineering knowledge and you'll end up sounding like Avenged Sevenfold :puke:

Wow, there's an old pic!

The phase cancellation is what makes the sound. Bring both faders up & then hit phase reverse... you'll hear what's being taken away from the sound. Pretty cool.

These days, I have the pair about 2-3 inches back from the cab to keep the proximity effect from building up too much while quad-tracking.
not tr

Interesting... I've yet to try this technique but is there supposed to be some kind of phase cancellation to get the right sound? I'm about to get two 57's and wonder what I should aim for, will it be obvious when I get the right tone?

And also, always quad-track, every band, every riff? How does the musicians approach this? And what if the guitarist sucks and will need like 100 re-takes for one riff to melt together?

Thanks!

You'll know it when you hear it. Don't over-think it, just do it. Just be prepared to put some time into it & don't be afraid to experiment.

As for quad tracking, I do it all the time. Works for me.. might not work for you. It really depends. ...and if the guitar player sucks that bad, why the hell is he in the studio to begin with?

You'll know it when you hear it. Don't over-think it, just do it. Just be prepared to put some time into it & don't be afraid to experiment.

As for quad tracking, I do it all the time. Works for me.. might not work for you. It really depends. ...and if the guitar player sucks that bad, why the hell is he in the studio to begin with?

Cool.

So if there are 2 guitarrists, one riff each, 8 tracks going at the same time? Sounds like a massive wall, just the way we want it:headbang:

A swedish magazine named "Studio" covered the Fredman guitarsound in an issue.
I dont know if he used this for Clayman but the way he usually mikes his cabs is with two SM57's forming an arrow towards the speaker.
One straight on at the side of the dustcap, the other one angled towards the center.
It also stated that he sometimes uses a condensermike on a different speaker than the one that the SM57's cover

Having a look at this OLD (!) thread for the first time.

Was the pics from this magazine ever posted here?

I just noticed that I´ve got this issue of "Studio" here at home and could scan the pics if needed.

Nothing new, but here it is.

Text says:

Pic 1: Starting position for dynamic mic.
Pic 2: Increased angle = More lows
Pic 3: Even more low end

Fredman1.jpg

Pic 1: Less angle = more highs
Pic 2: "Fredman special"
Pic 3: A variation of pic 2 using a AKG414 which, due to its pronounced high end, is off axis (when compared to a SM57).

Fredman2.jpg

Da Maan himself:

fredman.jpg

Thanks man, some good info
I'm just about to start tracking my bands EP with my Framus Cobra,
been using the "Fredman Special" position but i'm going to have a play around with it today, cheers for the pic

polifemo thanks man, really appreciate you scaning the images!

I assume that's the marshall cab with greenbacks in it, yeah?

Mad props for this thread. I've been indulging myself in recording info for a few years and now that I'm finally reunited with all my gear I'm extremely eager to try all these techniques out. Cheers!

Not my favorite band musically, (I like my metal a little more progressive) but defininety in my top 10 re: lyrics!!
Great guitar tone.