That "Clayman" sound....

i really like fredman's stuff. clayman sounds kickass, and i really enjoy his work with the haunted. my bandmates say his sound is overused and not fresh anymore - i couldn't disagree more. but then again, they're way more into bay area thrash and death, whereas i love swedish stuff, so go figure :D

The Studio Fredman 5150/Engl tone is the tone I dream about. I would kill to record at Studio Fredman. TheStoryteller, does Fred only record well known bands, or does he work with unknown bands at all?

It just says...

"Prices
Call +46 (0) 31 15 59 55 or send us an email for offers.

and...

If you have any questions, whatsoever, do not hesitate to send us a mail at studio.fredman@swipnet.se or call us on +46 (0) 31 15 59 55."

I don't want to call him and bother him since I won't be recording there anytime soon, I just wanna know what the prices are.

Thanks man, I'd pay $600 a day to record there! Oh and I found this pic on the Fredman website...

13.jpg

Reactions: Alex M
kelch said:
could you talk/describe a bit more about this micing technique...

kelch-

I'm not Ablaze-Fredrik, but I can answer anyway. (no offense) :) Nordström usually has one SM57 100% straight at the dustcap, and one at a slight angle besides the centered one. I made a really bad picture in Photoshop to illustrate this:

2sm57.jpg

He sometimes uses other mics than the SM57, but this is more or less the standard procedure.

Mark_Palangio said:
TheStoryteller, can you PM me his prices? Or just post here? Whatever works best.

When we recorded our first album in september/october 1999 the price was 9000 SEK a day, which would be like USD $1100 today. I think our label managed to get it somewhat cheaper though. And I also think - but I'm not 100% sure - that we got more recording days for the samt total price on the more recent album recordings. Paid for two weeks, got three, or something similar.

TheStoryteller, thanks for the photoshop pic! Does he have the mics that close to the cone? From your pic he would ahve to have the grill cloth off the cabs.

EDIT: I just listened to the clips on your website, very good tone man! Cool stuff too. \m/

TheStoryteller said:
I'm not Ablaze-Fredrik, but I can answer anyway. (no offense) :) Nordström usually has one SM57 100% straight at the dustcap, and one at a slight angle besides the centered one. I made a really bad picture in Photoshop to illustrate this:

He sometimes uses other mics than the SM57, but this is more or less the standard procedure.
Thanks...

Nitronium Blood said:
But now, after reading the 'too many home studios'... and the doom and gloom reminders therein... I wonder... what's the point?

Well, for me, anyway, the point is that I love making records, & I'm going to damn well put every last ounce of effort into the pursuit of making my records better.
-0z-