That tournament in Germany

Stormwatch said:
I'm fully expecting the England-Portugal game today to be another snooze-fest. England are the most boring team around just now, which is just crazy considering the players they have.
Get Beckham binned and let Aaron Lennon run at that defence, it'll be more entertaining than Beckham doing hee-haw the whole game other than set pieces.
But I still hope Portugal fucking hammer them. :)

I think that one will go to penalties.

COME ON LES BLUES!!!!!!!!!!! Knock out Brazil!

aliasp said:
I think there is more too it. Perhaps even relating to something pre-game. Not sure.

Can't believe the Argies are out.

yeah on itv later on they showed a lot of words being said between the two teams during the penalties, german players taunting the argies after they scored their pens, ( one of them pointed at an argie and made ssshhh sign .......how rude! :) ...think the argies are saying the germans were trying to rile them and put them off....not sporting or summin maybe, be lot of bans from that tho

anyhoo, england will make me poo myself for about 2 hours very soon, hope we finally string something together , and the players do themselves justice, whoever plays.......cmon lamps stick one in !

nafnikufesin said:
Well done with the prediction. :Smokin:

I didn't think it would a deja-vu Beckham send off ala France 98 for Rooney though. Stupid stupid boy... does he ever learn?

Even though I was happy to see England lose was gutted for Stevie G and Carra. Just knew they would stuff their penalties up.

AND VIVA LE FRANCE... I even predicted the Brazilians would get knocked out quarterfinals earlier and said Zizou would roll back the years for Les Blues.

Zidane - STILL THE GREATEST! Take note Ronaldinho.

Arg_Hamster said:
I´m waiting for riots in Brazil or are they striken numb?

They will just have a party ... they always have parties down there with lotsa Salsa and Samba drums going off.

Whistles too.

So Semi Predictions lads?

For me France 1-0 over Portugal (Gallas to score!)
And Germany 1-1 Italy (Germany on Penalties ...again). Sorry Azzuri :(

Well, 4 of the 3 teams I thought could win this after the first round are out...
Argentina->down
Spain->down
Brazil->down (and they NEVER played like they were really defending their cup)
Germany->alive and well.

The French surprised me, played really good.

We'll see what happens now. As I'm german, I'll definitely root for them. Even though I must admit, we were lucky against the argentinans...though the decision was right, the argentinans would have gotten a penalty with many other refs. But that's what happens if EVERY player falls down way too easy.

aliasp said:
So Semi Predictions lads?

For me France 1-0 over Portugal (Gallas to score!)
And Germany 1-1 Italy (Germany on Penalties ...again). Sorry Azzuri :(

I think portugal have too much strike power to not score against the french maybe a 1-1 draw decided after normal time

I really hope italy gets knocked out.... and yes, im still bitter! :lol:

heh yeah for the same reason, i want portugal to get thrashed by france, they didnt do anything in the game against england to suggest they will trouble france at the back.....least they get deco back for france

(my post game england comments are.......eriksson is a knob, we never stood a chance with him, the worry is, an even worse manager takes over next.......the rooney incident was never a straight red, there was no intention there, but i can defo see ronaldo moving to madrid over it , esp with the head "nudge" before the game...that guy is a dick, and i dunno why we played for penalties in extra time, 5 penalty comps in major cups now and 5 exits, england should do everything they can to avoid the fucking things.........anyhoo not bummed, we never looked like winning the thing from the first game, a lotta hype for a lotta nothing......... at least rupert lowe has resigned at southampton, maybe we'll see the premiership again one day after all....hurrah ! :)) lowe is gone, next....woodward out!! )

.......ahem...anyhoo hopefully italy will beat germany soundly and move onto france next, not keen on any of the teams left except italy really, so i am rooting for them...and cos it'd be nice for the italians to have some good news before their domestic league gets torn apart :)

lokey said:
heh yeah for the same reason, i want portugal to get thrashed by france, they didnt do anything in the game against england to suggest they will trouble france at the back.....least they get deco back for france

(my post game england comments are.......eriksson is a knob, we never stood a chance with him, the worry is, an even worse manager takes over next.......the rooney incident was never a straight red, there was no intention there, but i can defo see ronaldo moving to madrid over it , esp with the head "nudge" before the game...that guy is a dick, and i dunno why we played for penalties in extra time, 5 penalty comps in major cups now and 5 exits, england should do everything they can to avoid the fucking things.........anyhoo not bummed, we never looked like winning the thing from the first game, a lotta hype for a lotta nothing......... at least rupert lowe has resigned at southampton, maybe we'll see the premiership again one day after all....hurrah ! :)) lowe is gone, next....woodward out!! )

.......ahem...anyhoo hopefully italy will beat germany soundly and move onto france next, not keen on any of the teams left except italy really, so i am rooting for them...and cos it'd be nice for the italians to have some good news before their domestic league gets torn apart :)

Are you a Southampton supporter, I didn't know Rupert Lowe had gone. He wasn't liked much by the fans by the sounds of it.

And as for England, some of the best players around but play like a bunch of twats when brought together by Sven.

And as for Ronaldo, well I want his head on a plate. I hope the French do him over, Vieira please do us a favour.

Semi-final predictions:

Germany-Italy: Time to bring out the stats...there have been 3 previous World Cups where there final 4 have been European. Italy was in 2 of them and won both. Advantage: Italy...in the past two World Cups, Italy has been eliminated by the host country (South Korea in 2002, France in 1998). Advantage: Germany...Offence sells tickets, defence wins championships. Germany has sold the tickets, but the only goal Italy has allowed so far, they scored on their own net. Advantage: Italy...Germany has the home field advantage and has never lost in this stadium. Advantage: Germany (caveat: they've only actually ever played twice in this stadium, newly built for the World Cup)...In overall head-to-head play, Italy has beat Germany more times than they have been beaten by Germany, including beating them 4-1 3 months ago. Advantage: Italy...Germany last won the World Cup in 1990 in Italy. It's only fair that Italy wins the World Cup in Italy then. This will be a close match, and the winner will win the World Cup. Since 1990, Italy has been eliminated in every World Cup by penalty kicks or a golden goal, meaning they have not lost in regulation time in the 2nd round in 20 years. If this game goes to overtime or beyond, Germany wins; however, Italy is also pretty good at winning close games, so I bet with my heart: Italy 2 Germany 1

France-Portugal: The only reason that I like that France made it this far, is that it means Brazil didn't. I was really hoping that they'd lose in the group phase like they did 4 years ago, but they didn't, and now they're getting stronger with each game. Portugal was the better team than England if everyone was playing, but without Deco, I thought England was going to win, and almost did despite playing a man down for the final hour. They're a talented team, but they're no Brazil. France 2-0

There, I said it: Italy meets France in the final. You heard it here first :D

nafnikufesin said:
Semi-final predictions:

Germany-Italy: Time to bring out the stats...there have been 3 previous World Cups where there final 4 have been European. Italy was in 2 of them and won both. Advantage: Italy...in the past two World Cups, Italy has been eliminated by the host country (South Korea in 2002, France in 1998). Advantage: Germany...Offence sells tickets, defence wins championships. Germany has sold the tickets, but the only goal Italy has allowed so far, they scored on their own net. Advantage: Italy...Germany has the home field advantage and has never lost in this stadium. Advantage: Germany (caveat: they've only actually ever played twice in this stadium, newly built for the World Cup)...In overall head-to-head play, Italy has beat Germany more times than they have been beaten by Germany, including beating them 4-1 3 months ago. Advantage: Italy...Germany last won the World Cup in 1990 in Italy. It's only fair that Italy wins the World Cup in Italy then. This will be a close match, and the winner will win the World Cup. Since 1990, Italy has been eliminated in every World Cup by penalty kicks or a golden goal, meaning they have not lost in regulation time in the 2nd round in 20 years. If this game goes to overtime or beyond, Germany wins; however, Italy is also pretty good at winning close games, so I bet with my heart: Italy 2 Germany 1

France-Portugal: The only reason that I like that France made it this far, is that it means Brazil didn't. I was really hoping that they'd lose in the group phase like they did 4 years ago, but they didn't, and now they're getting stronger with each game. Portugal was the better team than England if everyone was playing, but without Deco, I thought England was going to win, and almost did despite playing a man down for the final hour. They're a talented team, but they're no Brazil. France 2-0

Germany 1 Italy 1 (Germany on penalties - Ref to totally screw the Azzuri - what's new eh!)

France 1 Portugal 0 (I got a feeling the goal will come from a penalty)

nafnikufesin said:
Semi-final predictions:

With all respect, Germany, not Italy, meets France in the final. And wins too.

MY GOD - What an amazing and incredible win by the Azzuri.

Was that not emotion personified.

All those previous heartbreaks and with the dreaded penalty shootout looming (Italy have never won a penalty shootout at a World Cup) up steps Grosso and Del Piero.

Sensational.

Well done Azzuri.

Italy wins in Double Overtime..... What a game.... I thought Germany would take it at the end but Italy scores 2 goals in the final 2 minutes of the game......

Italy and Portugal

Winner

Portugal

Its awesome that Italy used an all attacking strategy towards the end of the game... 4 strikers
thats what Argentine should have done against Germany, they would've beaten them

Shame it was a boring game, from the first half I thought it would be a cracker of a game. But the second half was disapointing.

Not looking forward to the final now. I do not enjoy watching Italys style of play.

cro4eva said:
Shame it was a boring game, from the first half I thought it would be a cracker of a game. But the second half was disapointing.

Not looking forward to the final now. I do not enjoy watching Italys style of play.
Italy was never (or, at least, since '82 when I started to follow WCs) a big fun to watch. But somehow that boring style brings a result. Look, out of 4 semifinalists 3 (Italy, Germany, and France) were nothing to look at in the groups' games. But they're still there while the Argentinians and the Spaniards (the brightest team imo) were sent home a week ago. Go figure...

nafnikufesin said:

Yup, you heard it here first. Now hear this:

3rd place match: The 3rd place match is always a tough one, because both teams are still recovering from the bitter disappointment of being so close, and motivation and effort to win this one can be hit and miss. Germany will still be inspired by the home fans, and ultimately are the better team, so they'll have the edge. Germany 2 Portugal 0

Final: A rematch of the Euro 2000 final, where Italy led 1-0, Del Piero missed 2 breakaways that would have sealed the victory, and they gave up a goal in the final minute then lost on a Golden Goal. France is playing well as a team, and individually, Zidane has re-found his magic touch and is playing like a man possessed, while Henry is so fast, that he has been unfairly robbed by the slow-witted linesmen who call him off-side time and time again because he has legally sprinted so far past the last defence after the ball was kicked. On the other hand, Italy's defence has only given up one goal the entire tournament, which they scored on themselves. They've played the entire knock-out round without their best defender, Nesta, who may be back for the final. De Rossi also returns from suspension, but after the brutal foul he took against the US, Lippi may not want to play him again. They've got a lot of potential on offence, only a post and a crossbar from scoring 4 goals against Germany in overtime alone, and so deep is their bench that they haven't even played Inzaghi in the World Cup yet, who is one of the top strikers in the world. Germany won the World Cup in Itlay in 1990, now it's Italy's turn to win in Germany. Italy 2 France 1