The 5 most revolutionary CD's you've ever bought.

Brooks

Eyes Wide Open
Nov 15, 2001
Bay Area, California
skloid.blogspot.com
What are the 5 CDs that have made the biggest impact on your musical tastes, social lives, personal lives, mentalities, blah etc, you know what I mean.

1. Bruce Springsteen Box Set - I never bought this per se, but my dad owned it, and played it constantly when I was very young. The songs were great, but there was this one song that I really loved, and that was the live version of "WAR", in which Bruce talks to the audience of growing up during the vietnam war, seeing it on TV every day. But then they break off into this MASSIVE song, and it was the heaviest thing I've ever heard. Its still close. I've pinpointed that song as the single tune that got me into heavy music.

2. Metallica - Master of Puppets - this album got me into metal. I didn't like it at first, it was too different to everything else I'd heard. But then i grew on me like a plauge, and I entered the phase that is almost a prerequisite for being a metalhead, the Metallica phase.

3. Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes - Someone reccomended this to me sometime, and when my dad was in Europe (I didn't know they had US distrobution), I asked him to pick it up for me. He did, and when I listened to it, I realized that this killer music was coming from a band I'd never even heard of! That brought me to the world of underground metal.

4. Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory - I had a friend that would go off about Dream Theater as being fuckin the shit, but I'd never heard of em. I put it off till I read Chris Jericho go off on his website about how its his pick for Album of the Year (I was into wrestling back then. Not anymore, fuck that shit.). So while scanning up and down the aisles in the CD store for something to get, I remember that DT just put out a supposedely great new album, so I bought it on a whim. Lets just say 2 minutes into Overture 1928, they became my favorite band, and enter the Dream Theater phase.

5. Opeth - Morningrise - This album took quite a long time to grow on me. I saw Opeth open for Nevermore during the tour, but had never heard them before. I HATED THEM. I was there for Nevermore, ready to kill people in the pit, and this fucking Opeth band comes on. What the fuck is this midtempo clean lame bullshit? I booed them. "Get off the stage!" But everyone around me was going nuts for em. I didn't understand it. So after the show, I decided to buy this one, based on Amazon.com reviews claming it as the best album ever made. After about 3 months of nonstop of bathing in Morningrise, I realized that they were correct, and that just opened the fucking floodgates.

I know I left out some classics in my musical development, such as Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black, Pink Floyd's Animals and Wish You Were Here, Porcupine Tree's Signify, and Miles Davis's Kind of Blue, but those were pretty much the 5 pivotal points (that I can remember right now :cool: )

What were the milestones in your musical development?

hard to be as specific as you, man, but good question. here's a few purchases which opened some wide musical doors for me, in no particular order:

1. Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons. this isn't their best cd or what I would recommend as a first purchase but it is the first I bought and I loved it from the very first couple of minutes. plus the covers rocked.
2. Govt Mule. Live with a Little Help from our Friends. yeah, not metal, but heavy, oh shit yeah. got me into the possibilities of a heavy jam band where anything could get played, a real sense of music as an adventure. their cover of Sabbath's War Pigs is just too much.
3. Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream. Steven Wilson is a fucking genius, and his lyrics are so twisted, there is really noone out there like this band, at least that I've heard. After SD, I went to Lightbulb Sun, Coma Divine, the new In Absentia, and the 2-disc box of their earlier Delerium recordings, Stars Die.

1. Metallica - Metallica: got me into metal, nuff said...
2. Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N Roll: sort of like TBA
3. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss: proved to me that theres metal past Pantera, who sucks now...
4. Nevermore - Politics of Ecstasy: proved to me that theres metal past SLAYER (but not much...)

cant think of a 5th

santuary - into the mirror black
metal church - atomic testrwar (got this one band) hahah I have
holy terror - mind wars
rick astley- wheneve you need someone..oh yeah
dead kennedy's- plastic surgery diasters
motorhead - another perfect day

oh shit i can't count..just a top 10 of my mouldy record collection

ENJOY em,....you freaks.......

remember the flying RHINO is watchign you

i don't know if i can limit it to five...

from my early days...i'd say Metallica's And Justice For All....and Megadeth's Peace Sells But Who's Buying

my middle school days.......Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys...and Iced Earth's Night of the Stormrider....

and now....my highschool years...man.....i'll put this in chronological order......from then to now....currently i'm digging into the past for shit i've overlooked.....and some of the shit from back in the day is just kick ass.......helstar....metal church...exodus....dark angel...bathory...celtic frost...

Six Feet Under - Maximum Violence....they brought me to death metal....this was like one of my most listened to CDs in freshman year

Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black....i don't even think i really need to say much here...its fuggin nevermore

Carcass - Necroticism or Heartwork (both really)....man these guys are great...heh....sophomore year wouldn't have been the same w/o em....Melodic Death was like......unheard of for me...this was a style i could REALLY get into...

At The Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease....found these guys in my junior year...i love these freaks and this was my intro into those damned dirty swedes and thier evil evil ways.....opened me up to Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Dissection...even Arch Enemy...list goes on....they pulled me into black metal also...though black metal i'm not TOO big on

Atheist - Peice of Time.....found them this senior year....before i'd never bothered to listen to them....I heard they had a badass bassist.....and me learning bass....had to hear this.....i instantly fell in love with this band....lovely shit

Dream Theater - SFAM, and a while later SDOIT. Reeeally opened my horizons.:D

Opeth - BWP. Gonna get more soon. After hearing a few songs on the internet, I was totally sold. :D

Nevermore - DHIADW. I wouldent be here otherwise.:p
of course i got all the others now too.

I still need 2 more :mad:

I can't really say only 5 but i'll name more than 5 from about grade 4 to now that got me to where I am today.

Tragically Hip- Fully Completely(got me into rock)
Metallica- ...and Justice For All(got me into metal)
Megadeth- Countdown to Extinction
Pantera- Vulgar Display of Power
Testament- The Gathering
Nevermore- Dead Heart In a Dead World
Arch Enemy- Burning Bridges
In Flames- Colony
Quo Vadis- Day Into Night
Cryptopsy- And Then It Passes

That's the path fro mlightest to brutalist and it happened about that way. I hover around the albums and style of albums on the bottom 5 of that list.

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (The first metal album I ever bought. Changed the way I think about music)
Opeth - My Arms, your Hearse (Fucking Brilliant)
Dead Kennedys - Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death (First DK album I ever heard)
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
NOFX - Liberal Animation (I like punk... so shoot me)

Musical Development or Guitarist Development?

Bruce Springsteen - The river. This double album is just amazing. :eek: I have almost all of his stuff (I don't like the latest one, it's like country music :yuk: ), Born to run is also awesome. The song "Thunder road" is absoultely classic, one of my favourite songs ever. He had such an awesome voice back in the day, and he was a good writer.

Bon Jovi - Bon Jovi. My god, Richi Sambora can fucking SHRED. My god. This is the album that got me into guitar basically, i think the album was released before i was even born (to lazy to check), and in all honesty, i've had it since i was about five.

Bon Jovi - These Days. I'm a big Richi Sambora fan. Check out MY GUITAR LIES BLEEDING and HEY GOD if you want to hear METAL \M/ Metal \M/ Even Bon Jovi's vocals are decent, he sounds like a thrasher on Hey God, it's almost hetfield like. "These Days" is also a classic, not too much on the guitar side, but it's a cool riff, and a cool song.

AC/DC - The Razor's Edge. now THIS is metal. Even if you hate ACDC, trust me on this one, go and download the song "The Razor's Edge" it is totally amazing, cool riffs (Yes, RIFFS, not just open power chords), i've had this one since it came out, i've actually got the original tape and case... awesome stuff.

Metallica - Ride the Lightning. Got it when i was about seven, just when i had started playing guitar... it was so intense. Ride THe Lightning, Creeping Death and Call of Ktulu are still some of my favourite 'tallica tunes.

My evolution as a gutiarist, musician and METALHEAD! \METAL/

Metallica - And Justice for all. What can i say? It's brilliant. It's still in my top two or three favourite albums ever. Blackened is just :eek:

Megadeth - Killing is my business. That riff in "Loved to Deth". What can i say? That awkward riff with the weird timing that he sings "If i can't have you, then no-one will" over. That got me into extreme metal, yup, it's one of the best guitar albums ever. Looking down the cross is better than just about anything ever released.

Death - Individual Thought Patterns. While it wasn't my first exposure to Death, it's what got me into them. I got it a few years after getting Leprosy (the album, not the disease :lol: ), and it just clicked. It's 100% thrash, with a little bit of Prog in there for interest's sake.

Nevermore - POE. What can i say? The guitarwork is phenomenal... This is what got me into 5/8 and 7/8 timing, and ultimately into bands like Cynic, Athiest and Martyr.

Martyr - Warp Zone. Again... what can i say? The guitarwork is astounding... set in a thrashy surrounding, it's progressive, technical, and all round GOOD METAL !

Originally posted by famousamoswillkillyou
They've all been borrowed or burnt. I'm cheap.

But mainly, PoE, just owns me.
And I burned PoE for you,so...I OWN YOU!!!:lol:
For me...well,DNB,of course.CoF's Dusk and Her Embrace,which kind of introduced me to the whole black metal thing.I actually prefer that to death metal.Ride the Lightning by Metallica.PoE.And Orchid by Opeth...Aenima and Undertow by Tool come in as honerable mentions(though that was in no particular order),just because there was about a week-long period a month or so ago where all I listened to was Tool.

iron maiden - seventh son of a seventh son

annihilator - never neverland

Judas priest - painkiller

the replacements - let it be

blaze - silicon messiah

Uh, looking at this thread, I feel kinda' old, but here goes...

1) Deep Purple/Machine Head. First real metal album I owned (not as a new release -- I'm not THAT old). Still one of the greatest.

2) Uriah Heep/Live. First metal (all things being relative) album I really listened to. Some older kids at my church used to listen to it in the basement of the parish house after services.

3) Scorpions/Blackout. Saw a cover band doing some tunes off this album, got me into early '80s metal big time. Title song a killer.

4) Accept/Restless & Wild. Has the single funniest introductory moment in recorded history, sequeing into one of the seminal speed metal songs. Love that Wolf Hoffman riffing.

5) Tie: Bruce Dickinson/Chemical Wedding, Nevermore/Dead Heart. Both revived my love of metal and sent me digging through CD store racks for "new" (not "nu"!) metal. Two of my alltime favorite albums for sure.

Honorable mention: Arch Enemy/Wages of Sin. Judas Priest/Screaming for Vengeance. Rush/2112. Iron Maiden/Number of the Beast.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Metallica - And Justice For All
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black

Carcass - Heartwork

Honorable mention: Death - ITP and or Symbolic

these are the 5 influential albums that left an impression on me

1. Metallica, Kill 'em All - Not my first metallica album but definetly my fav. Whip Lash!!
2. Nevermore, POE - Not only is this abulm technical but its the heavy damn thing i've ever heard and its only in Eb tuning. That just fucking sick.
3. Megadeth, Rust In Piece - The beginning to Tornado of souls totally kicked my ass
4. In Flames, Clayman - Some people shit on it but this album popped my cheri on In Flames and the interlude on Bullet Ride is so beautiful I nearly cried
5. Rush, Chronicals - I know it is a greatist hits albums and that greatest hits albums are lame, It got me in to the greatest fuckin Prog rock band ever, Rush. I have most of their early albums now.

My 5 would probably be these:

Fear Factory - Demanufacture: First metal CD I ever bought in 1998 when I was on Holiday in Europe and I listened to it non-stop the rest of the trip, and was hooked on metal from that point on.

In Flames - Colony and the Jester Race: I heard ordinary story on a metal radio show, and thought it was ok (keep in mind I had only heard fear factory and sepultura really at this time). Once I picked it up, about 2 weeks later I bought Jester Race when I went to Montreal on a trip. That album opned my mind completely and I started seeking out as much metal as I could possibly find.

Opeth - Still Life: The first few times I was introduced to this, it confused and irritated me, but as I heard it more and more, parts began to hook, and I got more and more enjoyment out of the songs despite their irregular song formation. A starting point for a gateway into Prog bands like Dream theater and Evergrey.

Nightwish - Wishmaster and Oceanborn: I loved nightwish from the moment I heard Tarja's singing. I listened to Wishmaster every night for 6 months until I got Oceanborn, and then I listened to both before I went to sleep. Now I have many relaxing CD's that put me to sleep, like Winds, Apocalyptica, Lacuna Coil, and Tristania.

Well all of my started in 1978 when i was 5 my mom being the biker she was and still is.
The first experiance of rock was riding on the back of my moms 74 harley davidson chopper that my father built for her. back when no helmet laws were in affect.My mom took me and my older brother to see Fleetwood mac and i remember watching the whole concert and getting home and stealing my mom's Fleetwood mac 8 trac.I listen to that 8 trac until it wouldnt play anymore.
my second experiance of rock i was up late one night and i remember it being very hot outside and the windows were wide open (we lived in fort worth texas) and i remember seeing this late movie it was called KISS meets the phantom of the opra and it had a few parts of music on it so the next day i begged my mom to take me to the music store and buy me this kiss album (record of course) so she bought me KISS-DYNASTY i wore out the needle on my player so many times listening to that
my thrird experiance was i was in 5th grade i was at my buddy brian fishers house and i was staying the night (his sister was my girlfiend my first french kiss) and his older brother had this huge record collection and we started going threw them and i found this fucking bad ass record called IRON MAIDEN-MAIDEN JAPAN i remember the cover had this killer looking skull dude with this huge sword in his hands (well i ended up stealing the record i rolled it up in my sleeping bag) and i listened to the record every day i even practiced sounding like PAUL DI'ANNO i had all 5 songs down and i swore that one day i would meet paul and be his best friend but we all know what happened there (bruce rocks)
and my next one was i think i came across SHOW NO MERCY/SLAYER that was the end of it for me. i grew my hair long wore black levi's (pegged jeans) white or black high tops with my pants tucked in and my black leather jacket with a sleveless levi blue jean coat over the top with all my patches/ slayer show no mercy back patch and many others all over
BUT IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL ANY BETTER I HAVE THEM ALL ON CD AND I BOUGHT ALL OF THEM so thoes are the ones that had the most to do with my metal movement