The 5 most revolutionary CD's you've ever bought.

[color=#AOEOOA]Metallica's Self Titled Release - Like everyone at the time but I've moved on since then.

Megadeth's Rust In Peace - Took me awhile to realise I was into the whole album Hangar, Holy Wars and Tornado had me but it took while for the rest to sink in. RIP is now my favourite track, and Rust In Peace gets a spin in my cd player at least once every two weeks.

Dream Theater's Live Scenes From New York - I'd Heard things about Dream Theater and since this basically was a live disc (which I use fairly often as best of albums, if a band is good live generally they'll be great in the studio) and since it waas 3 discs and cheap I figured it was good value I bought it, halfway through the first disc I realised this was brilliance, and moved on to pick up every dream theater album. The start of my movement into Progressive Rock/Metal

Nevermore's Dead Heart In A Dead World - Made a metal mate with this one where we now give each other cd's and get each other further into metal music. Must have played this album 3 times a day each day for a few weeks at one stage, right through

Edguy's Mandrake - A power metal album, picked this one up off my Nevermore mate's advice and couldn't put it down for a few weeks. A new movement into Power metal with more bands which just makes my 'to get' list even longer.

I guess other albums which have had an effect are In Flames - Colony, Slayer's Seasons In The Abyss, Stuck Mojo's Declaration Of A Headhunter.[/color]

Hmm...

In Flames - Whoracle (Best CD I have...)

Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black (Used to hate it, but now I love it.)

Primal Fear - Black Sun (Happy power metal, but hey, I like 'em anyway.)

Death - Symbolic (2nd best CD I own!)

Solitude Aeturnus - Adagio (Doom metal, yeah, but I love their guitar style.)

Metallica:Ride the Lightning-I already owned their s/t, but this one made me look into underground Metal instead of just looking for Metal bands that everyone had already heard of.

Dream Theater:Scenes from a Memory-I had never heard of this band until I bought this cd. I read a bunch of reviews about this cd and I thought that this cd couldn't be that good, but when I was searching for cds at On-Cue, I came across this one and decided to buy it. I nearly had a stroke because I had never heard music this technical.

Iron Maiden:piece of Mind-I had always heard a lot about Iron Maiden, but I was reluctant to buy their cds because my dad said he used to like them. Of course, my dad loved country music also, and hated anything heavier than Pink Floyd, so I was skeptical. Finally, I convinced myself to check them out. I bought PoM, and I was never the same again.

Iced Earth:Burnt Offerings-I already owned Horror Show, which I found at On-Cue (it was the only Iced Earth cd they had) so since I had heard how good Iced Earth was, I decided to buy it. I loved it, so then I decided to go out and get Burnt Offerings. After I heard it I thought, holy shit, this cd just kicked my ass.

Nevermore: DHIADW-I found out about Nevermore through a Iced Earth message board. It took me about a year to finally buy one of their cds, but finally, I found this one at a fye store in Texarkana I believe. Warrel's emotional voice sent me straight into shock. And the title song scared the hell out of me when the riff kicked in. This cd also led me into this message board.

1. Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within; One of the most incredible music ever.
2. Opeth - Still Life; Memories.
3. Nevermore - The Politics of Metal; Turned me on to metal again
4. Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is; Straaange and FUNNY music.
5. Godspeed You Black Emperor! - "Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven!"; Beautiful, dreamy. Just wonderful.

Morgana Lefay - Maleficium
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Iced Earth - Alive in Athens
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Opeth - Blackwater Park

Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of The Mutalaited
In Flames - The Colony

Great thread Brooks. Here's my Top 5:

Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil". I wasn't really into music when I bought this. I had never even heard Motley Crue's music. I was your typical 12 or 13 year old kid who just listened to what was on the radio and didn't give music much thought. This disc changed me. I listened to it from the time I woke up, until the time I went to bed, for six months. That CD has sent me on a musical journey that has, at least for the moment, landed me here.

Queensryche's "Operation: Mindcrime". Every time I spin this CD, or watch the DVD, I am reminded just how brilliant this CD is, and how unlikely it is that anyone will ever match it's brilliance. To these ears, Geoff Tate is quite simply the best singer that ever was.

Steve Vai's "Passion & Warfare". Perhaps the most beautiful CD I've ever heard. There are so many great guitar players on this planet, and then there's Steve Vai, whose not of this planet. He's simply visiting, dropping off music every so many years from a galaxy far, far away.

Nevermore's "Dreaming Neon Black". This CD came as close to "Operation: Mindcrime" as any CD ever has. "Beyond Within" feels likes a collapsing wall of sound. It is utter chaos. It sounds like a storm set to music. And in the eye of that storm is Warrel; ranting like a prophet whose visions has driven him mad. Warrel's vocals are so distinct, intense, and amazing. Add to this equation that Jeff and Van are probably the best guitarist and drummer combo in Metal, and you quickly recognize why this disc is so amazing.

Opeth's "Still Life". I never understood Death vocals. Months after I owned this CD, I still didn't understand them. It was Opeth's acoustic, more melodic side, that sucked me in. I kept spinning this CD for the acoustic passages; moments of "The Moor", "Benighted" and "Face of Melinda". But slowly the more extreme parts began to plant their seed. I would catch myself singing (in my best Death vox), "I was foul and tainted, devoid of faith, Wearing my death-mask at birth...". The brilliance of "White Cluster" became undeniable. And before I new it, I owned all their CDs. And then In Flames CDs. And then Dark Tranquillity CDs. And then Soilwork's CD. And now Death Metal makes up a good portion of what I listen to.

GZ

These are not necesarily my favourite cd's, they are just the albums that where kind of like musical landmarks for me and led to a shift in the way i saw music

Def leppard - hysteria : this is the cd that sparked my interest in metal. Of course u'd be struggling to call it metal now but at the time it came out i was like 7 or 8 or something. I would go to my freinds house and stick the tape on and jump around like an idiot playing air guitar for hours. First album i really owned and i loved it. now my opinion of them has changed somewhat but at the time i thought music couldn't possibly get any better.

metallica - ...and justice for all : it was a while before i found another album that i just fell in love with and really altered my veiw on music. THis disc was so far beyond anything i had heard before, it was a few years after it's release that i fppund it but their reputation caught my attention. Every aspect of this disc caught me from the artwork to the crushin riffs and NO BASS hehe. i love so many songs on this cd dyers eve, frayed ends of sanity, harvester of sorrow, blackened. I wore this disc out and i need a new one. i still listen to it. it's one of my fav cd's ever.

Sepultura - roots : i got into this cd very deeply. they vocals where just that bit more aggresive than what i had listened to before. The riffs made me want to fuck shit up. looking back this cd is what lead me to death metal or at least desensitised my and initiated me into the genre. I realise this isn't death metal but i'm sure u can see the link.

Nevermore - dreaming neon black : After roots i bascally just like bands like fear factory, machine head, pantera that kinda crap. This cd is the one that really made me dig deep into metal. I realised that some of the best music out their has the least recognition. THis cd made me appreciate the artistic sides of music. It really is one of the best albums ever written. THe riffs where awesome, the vocals while at first i thought pussy vocals now i think they are the best i have ever heard. The songs have so much meaning, the lyrics are basically poetry i really can't describe why this cd kicks so much arse just....it does.

opeth - still life : I first heard face of melinda on the radio and though fuck yeah that's awesome. I bought the cd expecting the whole thing to be similar. I was not prepared for what i heard. At times the heaviest and most skull crushing shit i had ever heard and at others the most artistic and beutiful thing i had ever heard. The dynamics of this cd are just mind boggling. the level of technical profficiency likewise. THis cd opened the door of black metal for me (once again not really black metal but i think you would be able to see the link)

Nile - black seeds of vengance : I really can't think of anything that even touches this for brutallity. At first i thought fuck all it is is noise...not my idea of metal. I was ready to put it in my never listen to again cd pile. But i gave it another chance. Fuck me am i glad i did. THe intricacy began to shine through. Riffs got stick in my head where before i found it difficult to discriminate them. THis is a really good cd with excellent mucisianmanship and hidden depth.

6 i know but fuck it.

Great Questions

There are a lot of great records it's almost impossible to list my five favorites

Queensryche- Operation Mindcrime, possibly the greatest album ever produced.

Crimson Glory- Transcendence, I cannot believe no one else has this posted.

Anacrusis- Screams and Whispers, I'm from St. Louis

Metallica- Master of Puppets, How can this not be included

Nevermore- Dreaming Neon Black, Takes you to another world. I actually feel the pain.

OTHER FAVORITES: Dream Theater-Images and Words; Fates Warning- No Exit; Flotsam and Jetsam- No Place for Disgrace; Helstar- Nosferatu; Megadeth- Countdown to Extinction; Overkill- I Hear Black; Sanctuary- Into the Mirror Black;
Pearl Jam- Ten; Tool- Aenema; King Diamond- Abagail, Them

These are the masterpieces that made my musical taste as it is now ....
Queensryche -Operation Mindcrime (my all time top favourite and the ONLY thing i listen almost every day )
Manowar-Into Glory Ride (My best traditional Heavy metal fav.)
Black Sabbath -Vol. 4 (My fav sabbath and the third album i bought)
Metallica -And Justice For All (my first album ...)
Psychotic Waltz-Bleeding (bought it in a really young age ...and i will be forever haunted by this band ...)

DISSECTION - Storm Of The Light's Bane.
TESTAMENT - The Gathering
CARCASS - Heartwork
ARCH ENEMY - Burning Bridges
ZYKLON - World Ov Worms

1. Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant "someone recomended this to me and when i listened to it, it opened a whole new world of music for me.

2. Pink Floyd - Greates Hits "just plain badass chill awesome music"

3. Dimmu Borgir - "Spiritual Black Dimensions" - "FN' GREAT"

4. Iced Earth - Something Wicked Comes This way - "totally awesome music, great album that made me feel unstopable"

5. Jethro Tull - Aqua Lung "what can i say? the man was a musical mastermind!!!

1. Metallica - ...And Justice For All/Alice in Chains - Dirt: I used to ride around everywhere with my sister, and she's 11 years older than me so I of course looked up to her. She ALWAYS played the same damn Alice in Chains - Dirt tape in the car, and sometimes Metallica. I borrowed the Metallica tape from her and really liked it. I didn't really understand what I was getting into though; I think I was only 7 or 8 years old.

2. Without knowing I liked metal, I gave it up basically. I got a free copy of Reload from a friend, and was kind of into it. I copied a Nirvana tape from my sister. None of it really got to me though, and I eventually started liking rap *hangs head.* By the time I turned 13 I was into rap and nu-metal, but still didn't really really care about music. By 15 I had kind of abandoned rap and was heavily into nu metal. Tool - Lateralus came along, showed me real musicianship, real talent, and after buying all their cd's that year, became my favorite band.

3. After liking Tool, I took an interest in "deep" music. I got into a few more nu metal bands that appeared to be intelligent, but they just didn't work for me. I got into Dredg, who I still think are great. I was looking for deep music.. what I found was Opeth - Blackwater Park. Of course it took me awhile to get into the vocals, having never really heard death metal, but after awhile I was hooked. Opeth soon became my second favorite band. After this I lost ALL interest in my nu metal cd's, and began looking for what people called "progressive music" :p. This cd also got me into every death metal band I like now, classical, progressive, and probably more.

4. Dream Theater - Images and Words. I think after hearing Pull Me Under and Metropolis Part 1, I bought this at a local Best Buy. I thought they looked funny, but they reminded me alot of all the great older bands my mom had always played around me like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Lynard Skynard, Rush, Yes, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, and lots more, all of which I'm into now. I think this is what made me like older music, and almost lose complete interest in the mainstream music of today. I eventually had all their cd's, and had myself a third favorite band.

5. Well I can't choose a five, because after all of the ones above, there's no cd's that influenced as much as those. I could say Black Sabbath - Paranoid and Led Zeppelin - IV since they got me into older music alot, but I had always liked that stuff. I couldn't list any tech death bands, because the bands above are resposible for my liking them. So I'll just leave number 5 at "I'm glad I like good music now."

Megadeth-CTE-basically broke the ignorance I held towards Black, Death, and other bands.I was one of them brainwashed metallifucks :lol:

In Flames-Whoracle and Jester Race, my introduction to death metal.

I guess the metallica studio albums from the 90's were pretty influencial to me, they got me to go and buy the old stuff, which led me to

Iron Maiden.Brave New World
First maiden CD, got me about half a year to get into maiden, like I said, I was a brainwashed metallifuck.The mindframe of, metallica rules and nothing is better, load and re-load were progression etc...

Nevermore-dead heart and politics, First nevermore cds I listened to.dead heart was d-loaded and got me to buy nevermore cds.Politics made me realize that metallica was NOTHING.That album broke the chain of ignorance.