The "And the Maiden Spoke" appreciation thread

buzz21

Medicated
May 4, 2003
San Diego, CA
www.mpp.org
I'm digging all the new songs, as each one gives me a different emotion - but I have to say that this one qualifies overall as one of the best songs in the NM catalog. I really like the slight King Diamond influence on "Sometimes she whispers in my ear there's nothing to be afraid of, sometimes she moves the chairs downstairs" and I also like the watery/vibrato effect on the guitar during the chorus. The song itself sounds like what you might expect from NM, but it also has some different sounding elements that gives it a unique sound. The speed and tightness between the guitar and drums makes for some great slamming rhythms and then Warrel pulls it all together with yet another epic chorus. I'm using this as the song I play for people that don't know about the band, and everybody seems to be really impressed by what they hear.

I'm really hoping the guys will put this into the setlist during the U.S. tour !!!!

Yep. Best drumming performance by Van on the album, bar none. Riffs were insanity, yet Jeff's solo was extremely tasteful in retrospect. Warrel's coolest lyrics and vocal melodies were a great mix between TGE and DNB. Fell in love with it within the first second. Easily the best track on the album.

Great quote by WD from his RadioMetal interview:

Jeff Loomis recently said about The Obsidian Conspiracy that he gave you a little bit more room this time for your vocal parts. Did you feel more comfortable creating your vocal lines this time?

When he said that, I remember that my first thought was: “This music is so fucking insane and complicated, where’s all the room you’re talking about ?!”. The song “And The Maiden Spoke” has one of the craziest, most progressive and fucking insane riffs I have ever heard. But at the same time, it has a really big chorus. I didn’t feel more comfortable, but I didn’t feel less comfortable either – I don’t know if that makes sense! When we write songs with Jeff, I’m always comfortable, because basically he’s my musical soul mate.

So does she move the chairs from the upstairs to the downstairs or is she just rearranging the chairs that are already downstairs?

I really like the slight King Diamond influence on "Sometimes she whispers in my ear there's nothing to be afraid of, sometimes she moves the chairs downstairs" and I also like the watery/vibrato effect on the guitar during the chorus. The song itself sounds like what you might expect from NM, but it also has some different sounding elements that gives it a unique sound. The speed and tightness between the guitar and drums makes for some great slamming rhythms and then Warrel pulls it all together with yet another epic chorus.

I agree. Upon first listen, I loved the instrumentation but didn't really like the lyrics, now I think they are really cool and different.

Best drumming performance by Van on the album, bar none. Riffs were insanity, yet Jeff's solo was extremely tasteful in retrospect. Warrel's coolest lyrics and vocal melodies were a great mix between TGE and DNB. Fell in love with it within the first second. Easily the best track on the album.

My opinion as well. Best track on the album, along with Emptiness Unobstructed and She Comes in Colors :headbang:

So does she move the chairs from the upstairs to the downstairs or is she just rearranging the chairs that are already downstairs?

There is no mention of an upstairs, though it is implicit, so I believe she is rearranging the chairs that were already downstairs. Making herself known to those unawake.

Djöfull;9159967 said:
Anyway she was born in 1617.. ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1617#Births
Dorothy Spencer, countess of Sunderland???

The song has to do with Andy Sneap's "haunted" farm house. There was a family that lived there in 1617. Warrel said it in an interview somewhere.

Yep. Best drumming performance by Van on the album, bar none. Riffs were insanity, yet Jeff's solo was extremely tasteful in retrospect. Warrel's coolest lyrics and vocal melodies were a great mix between TGE and DNB. Fell in love with it within the first second. Easily the best track on the album.

Yup, Agreed.

Actually, Van is one of the most underrated drummers that I know.

'Bout the lyrics... It's always hard 'cause you can get it in like 4378427842 diferent ways when we're talkin' about Warrel Dane.

I'll just give it a try.... wasn't it 1617 when Eerszebet's remains were supposed to be reburied in her family's crypt?
Otherwise, it could relate to DNB....
But I'll take the first guess.

Ok, the answer above have thrown my chances away, haha.

Though it kinda proves it how you can interpret things on your own.... And actually how the lyricist is correct to say that is much more fertile when you don't points the way to the answer, hah...

img_4lRWjP.jpg

Yup, Agreed.

Actually, Van is one of the most underrated drummers that I know.

Yeah, Van rarely gets mentioned in the conversation about great metal drummers but I think he has had a big impact on developing the NM sound. He is steady and tight, and not too flashy and I can't even recall hearing him talk in any interviews, etc. It's about time he got some more respect!

Interesting observation about this being part of the DNB saga...1617 doesn't have to be a year, it could be an address or a hospital room number or something too. :p

Seriously though, this is one of my favorites as well, but at this stage I'm still trying to work through the symbols in both the lyrics and artwork to try and figure this album out...anyone else get the distinct feel of a concept album?