The Angel and the Gambler appreciation thread

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
Not expecting many replies to this one, but I do like the song and after listening to it last night, I thought how much better it would have been if 'Arry had structured it thusly:

Intro

First verse

Chorus x 1

Second verse

Chorus x 1

Solo- Dave

Solo- Janick

Third verse

Chorus x 1

Outro

There. Still not the best choice for a single (that would've been Lightning Strikes Twice if I'd had my way), but much more palatable and perhaps even an album highlight. It sounds just like The Who crossed with UFO, so what's not to like? :)

W

Someone who is good at computery stuff ought to edit an MP3 of the song I think.

Yes, the single edit makes it a decent song, and I think if it was cut down even more, it would be a decent little rocker. There is heaps of potential in the song, but it just wasn't put together properly. The same as the whole VXI album really, some great songs, heaps of great material, but overall as an album it is weak.

I've thought from some time that Maiden could use a decent arranger/producer, rather than someone who just lets them go in and do whatever they want. Nevertheles, I have "Angel..." on a 7" pic disc and that version isn't too bad. The album track makes me want to kill myself though.

don't you think i could save ya
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
don't you think i can save your life
thats all i remember of that whole song, it was so crap

The first thing the album needs is the bass truned right the fuck up...so you can actually hear 'Arry did something, then you need to chopTAATG down to about 5 minutes..then it will be a good album