The backwards lyrics in Hessian Peel

streetLethal

New Metal Member
Sep 2, 2008
Did Mikael Akerfeldt ever confirm them and their purpose behind them? And what about the code or whatever that is inside of the booklet of Watershed? I searched but didn't get a definitive answer so I figured I'd ask.

Any help is appreciated :headbang:

Did Mikael Akerfeldt ever confirm them and their purpose behind them? And what about the code or whatever that is inside of the booklet of Watershed? I searched but didn't get a definitive answer so I figured I'd ask.

Any help is appreciated :headbang:

Why would he confirm them? They are clearly backward vocals that have been recorded like everything else. I think he talks a little bit about it in the Watershed DVD part, because they're playing it and he seems to have with that part while singing.

EDIT : Oh maybe were you talking about the exact lyrics...?

"Out on the courtyard, Come back tonight. My sweet Satan, I see you"

Also, about Jorge, this is what Wikipedia says:

The back cover, featuring the face of the man in the picture frame is actually a puzzle photo. When examined closely, one can see it is actually a photoshopped image of all members of the band using their different facial features to create one separate face.

Maybe you knew this already. I didn't. Sorry.

αlphaWhore;7575949 said:
"Out on the courtyard, Come back tonight. My sweet Satan, I see you"

Also, about Jorge, this is what Wikipedia says:

The back cover, featuring the face of the man in the picture frame is actually a puzzle photo. When examined closely, one can see it is actually a photoshopped image of all members of the band using their different facial features to create one separate face.

Maybe you knew this already. I didn't. Sorry.

I know what the lyrics sound like, but what has Mikael said about them? But the puzzle/code (or is it another language?) that I was talking about was in the first page in the booklet the CD comes with. And I only know just as much as you know man lol

Why would he confirm them? They are clearly backward vocals that have been recorded like everything else. I think he talks a little bit about it in the Watershed DVD part, because they're playing it and he seems to have with that part while singing.

EDIT : Oh maybe were you talking about the exact lyrics...?

What does he mention? What I mean by confirming or speaking on them is if hes said that theres a meaning behind it, or if it's just a joke.

What does he mention? What I mean by confirming or speaking on them is if hes said that theres a meaning behind it, or if it's just a joke.

Oh he was just having fun while making the demos. It's not an important part to him, nor a joke. Just something done almost randomly.

EDIT : I don't think he ever mentionned Led Zepplin though, and that's fine like it.

I could have sworn I read here on the board that the backwards lyrics was either an ode or making fun of led zeppelin, maybe I read it wrong but I think Mike was just fucking around. Speaking of backwads stuff there is a radiohead song on Amnesiac, I forget the title but the music to the whole song is played backwards. Cool stuff

Touché motherfucker. Do you accept it?

EDIT: Actually, a search for "backwards lyrics hessian peel" turned up http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/opeth/400910-reversed-opeth-songs.html which should help you.

Nah man, I know what the lyrics say, but I wanted to know what was up with them. If they were a joke, or some serious kinda message, etc. For instance, Robert Plant apparently denies the Stairway to Heaven thing, saying it's a mistake. So I wanted to see if Mikael had spoken on this. If this is a sign that Opeth's next album is gonna be about a frost and grim forest where the legion of hell meets up to take over heaven, I'm out.