Backwards Lyrics on Hessian Peel

Labyrinth of Blindness

White Face, Haggard Grin
Jun 4, 2008
Tulsa, OK
hey all

I'm new to this forum so go easy on me :lol:

I got my vinyl last night and was super excited to listen to it the old fashioned way. Once I finished the entire album (after being thoroughly blown away by its greatness), I went back to the song "Hessian Peel," because I remembered the backwards lyrics and figured with the actual record, I could give my scratching skills some work. After a little bit of time, this is what I was able to distinguish from backtracking:

"Out of the courtyard, come back tonight
My sweet satan, I see you"

I'm absolutely positive about the second line, not so sure about the first. (Its backwards so the first line has music dubbed over it)

What I am sure of is that it WAS intentional because it is very distinguishable once you are able to get the right speed.

Is it a connection to the song or the album itself or maybe even Mikael, or is it just Akerfeldt's undying obsession with '70s music? (i.e. Zeppelin's "satanic" backtrack on Stairway to Heaven) Probably doesn't matter just thought I'd share this information with some true Opeth fans:headbang:

p.s. sorry if this has already been discussed. Like I said, I'm new and I just thought I'd share my knowledge. Cheers! :kickass: