The Ben Grosse love thread (Chris you need to answer;)...)

Mikaël-ange

Nov 7, 2008
Since we have the Randy Staub love thread (here for everyone who haven't see it before), why don't have the Ben Grosse love thread.

I'm really in love with Ben Grosse mix at the moment but infortunatly nothing really pop out gearslutz or any others place.

So let's share what you know about Ben technic and gear please.

What is his go to chain? Fav comp and eq? Workflow...etc.

I'm a HUGE Ben Grosse fan. I'm even contemplating hiring him to mix my album at the end of the summer. Huge fan.

Sevendust - Animosity
All of the RED albums
Pretty much all the good Filter stuff
Dark New Day - 12 Year Silence

How about a mention for your favorite productions he's done?

Some are production and others are mixing only:

Breaking Benjamin-Phobia
Sevendust-Animosity
Alter Bridge- one day remains
Emily Osment-All the right wrongs
Red

What a killer mixer imo

He's a hell of a talented guy for sure. I was his studio bitch for a little less then a year, and it was a pretty amazing like. As I said in previous threads, I thank him everyday for the 100s of hours he let me log on his SSLs when they weren't booked. It was by no means an easy job (hellish at times for sure), but he was always respectful and pretty approachable.

Unfortunately I don't have any of his "tricks" at all. Even if I did I'm sure most of them have changed (it was 2003 when I worked for him).

But having said that, here's what I do remember....

Vocals- U47-Neve 1073-1176-la2a. Can't tell you any settings or anything, but I set up the same chain every time.

Guitars- Every time I saw guitars at the studio, he did his VH4 into a diezel cab with a tube screamer in front most times. 2 57's in a fredman kind of style...but a little different, hard to explain. a coles 4038 was also on the cab about a foot or 2 back.

Mixing- Not much to say here. Not much eq, I'd say most of the recalls I did he had like 2-3 db and that's about it. Ummm uses a neve 33609 on his masterbus unless the band has a budget, then he'd rent a fairchild 670. He used a fatso for his drumbuss, and did use the A/B/C/D busses on the SSL for groups, but I don't think it's like MHB style or anything ....Ummmm he has a boat load of gear ( www.themixroom.com )

Thats really about all I can say.

Thanks a lot Chris:headbang:
Haven't see his gear list when looking at The mix room website...

So from what I heared, he stay otb most of the time (will do the same with an 9K xl:D).

Any fav production/mixing album to add on the list?

Thanks a lot Chris:headbang:
Haven't see his gear list when looking at The mix room website...

So from what I heared, he stay otb most of the time (will do the same with an 9K xl:D).

Any fav production/mixing album to add on the list?

He owns the mixroom so all the gear you see in all the rooms is his personal stuff.

He's totally OTB. While he does use protools and is very competent with it, he prefers to not touch it all most of the time. He's not doing anything in PT except using it like a tape machine.

My favs have always been Animosity, and as much as I hate the band, the 18 visions record he did last was awesome sounding.

Seriously? I was always under the impression that Grosse was a Logic user.

His main engineer at the time I was working with him was this guy named blumpy (seriously.. http://www.blumpy.com/blumpy/Main.html ). He was a logic user and did alot of drum editing and stuff in Logic, but Unless something has drastically changed in the last few years, Ben still uses PT for all mixing (don't know how much production/engineering he even does anymore).

Resurecting my thread for share somes really interesting video I found on youtube.

So amp chain, cabs, mic choice and placement and Ben producing:kickass:

Last edited by a moderator: