The Ben Grosse love thread (Chris you need to answer;)...)

Btw I discovered recently last Aurora sky release (Just like you, Give in to you) and Fuel demons & angels.
Both awesome production and mix:worship:

Wow not much has changed at all. The guy talking about Grandma's boy is Paul Pavao. He was the head assistant when I was there, and has now become the chief engineer and Ben's main guy.

That's literally the same guitar setup I watched ben do YEARS ago. Bananas, I guess if it works then fuck it right. I see he had the fairchild for this project too!

Wow not much has changed at all. The guy talking about Grandma's boy is Paul Pavao. He was the head assistant when I was there, and has now become the chief engineer and Ben's main guy.

That's literally the same guitar setup I watched ben do YEARS ago. Bananas, I guess if it works then fuck it right. I see he had the fairchild for this project too!

So what was that guitar setup more precisely? It's hard to tell from the poor video quality.

It looks something like two 57's in a XY position in front of the speaker cone?

If you read the entire thread (C_F_H_13 post especially) and watch the vid you have all answer;)

2 sm57 in modified XY position with a coles 2 foot away...

This seems to be the right spot to put this- I gotta admit i'm into hollywood undead. Ben Grosse had a hand in both albums and i've been trying to find what they do to the vox in it to make 2 guys sound so similar (different singer on the new album) i'm sure its autotune and some form of synths on the voice but I cant figure out what it would be. Does anyone have any ideas?

this thread needs to live forever. ben grosse is the man. seriously.

the last underoath is one of the biggest and beefiest hard rock mixes ever. and even though it's slammed it really is very open and breathes and has high replay value sonically and doesn't really cause much ear fatigue.

I could agree more. Ben mix blow my mind listen after listen...
Amazing how many details he going through! The Aurora sky last single is simply the best demonstration about how automation can build a song.

cant really say i like clas mixes on phobia less than grosses... i find the grosse stuff a little less emotional than clas mixes...
clas way of squeezing the last drop out of the vocals is something i dont hear in grosses stuff. especially the red mixes sounded huge at first listen, but really didnt "deliver" as much as a cla mix speaks to me.

grosses mixes sound really really good for sure, but on phobia cla wins for me. (yes, i am a cla fanboi! ;-)

CLA is absolutely awesome for vocal treatment, which would explain why he's the radio guy, ultimately that's all they care about. Otherwise though his mixes rarely ever really 'wow' me. Randy has the most massive/heavy sounding mixes overall, and Ben is an awesome all-rounder. Even if his mixes don't immediately grab you, they stay listenable for very long periods of time because he always gets the right vibe... and there's a lot to be said for that.

CLA is absolutely awesome for vocal treatment, which would explain why he's the radio guy, ultimately that's all they care about. Otherwise though his mixes rarely ever really 'wow' me. Randy has the most massive/heavy sounding mixes overall, and Ben is an awesome all-rounder. Even if his mixes don't immediately grab you, they stay listenable for very long periods of time because he always gets the right vibe... and there's a lot to be said for that.

absolutely! randy is king for heavy stuff for sure!
all different flavors i guess. i love how cla knows about the needs of the average listener.
vocals, they can connect to.
people really dont care about the snare sound, as long as it makes them dance.
but i must admit that i love clas bass, guitars and drumsounds for mellower rock stuff alot!

i find it interesting that underoath is so much more bassier and deeper than any other grosse mix. usually they are like the exact middle ground of aw and cla. not as bright and slappy as cla but not as deep and atmospheric as aw.

underoath is like low end on steroids. for real.

ps - so does he mix on the k or the j???

I think Underoath is just the sound of a lot of tracking to tape. You can hear the mid-emphasis and subdued high-end. They really seemed to shoot for retaining those natural, analogue qualities to the recording. It's a great overall production... awesome automation, awesome balancing, great vibe.