The best British Metal band

I absolutley love Iron Maiden and have the Trooper Sign tattoo'd on my Right arm But I've Seen 'em 5 times since and Inc Earl's Court and the set list has Been the Same Every night which goes to show they have no Variety and just going through the motions! So in my View it's Saxon! Saxon have the Ability to Mix and Change sets around every tour! So For Me Saxon with Maiden, Blaze and Halford Fighting for 2nd!

Originally posted by Atticus
I'm afraid I share the prevailing opinion on MDB. They just send me to sleep, sorry! I'd happily give away the one album I have of theirs as I find it interminably dull.

I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands if you dont want it (providing nobody else has asked for it yet..) :D

Originally posted by Bodylouseuk
My Dying Bride- Dying of sheer boredom me thinks, Like Gods of the Sun was great as was the % complete album but they seem to have become dreary again. Return to the Sabbat is the best thing to happen to British metal in a long time.

You're a fucking godsend, mate!

I've been saying the same thing for nearly a year now!!! At one stage they were my favourite band, but now I find them bland and boring.. same old shit. I consider them much better when they kept pushing envelope.

In the mid 90's My Dying Bride were the best band in the world, and definitely my favourite band. Albums like 'Turn Loose the Swans', 'The Angel and the Dark River' and 'Like Gods of the Sun' contain some of the most incredibly emotional music ever produced.

Then they lost Calvin Robertshaw, Martin Powell and the violin...

This was the turning point. Sure, 'The Dreadful Hours' is ok, but it seems so contrived and fake compared to the earlier stuff. There doesn't seem to be anything 'special' about the album. In fact, at times it's almost as if they're going through their paces.

The title track is great, and 'A Cruel Taste of Winter' is pretty good, but I have to stand with the other guys/girls who prefer their older stuff.

It was pretty obvious after the outcry surrounding '34.788%.... Complete' that the only reason they made 'TLatEotW' and subsequently 'TDH' is because they wanted to please their fans, instead of pushing themselves.

And The Dreadful Hours is nothing like the masterpiece 'Turn Loose the Swans'. The difference in quality between these albums borders on the laughable.

As for people who are unsure who Lee B is, just check the liner notes of any Opeth and Emperor album to see his name. He used to run Candlelight Records as far as I know.. and HE'S THE MAN!!

I'm a more old-school metalhead , so my choices are:
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath

Bal Sagoth are not in the league as Maiden yet. It's like comparing Hull City with Real Madrid, I not saying Bal Sagoth are not any good. But stats and time speak for themselves. And Maiden have dominated the UK scene for over 20 years.

Currently the other top Brit bands are:

Priest (will be huge again when Halford replaces Flipper)
Saxon
Motorhead
Blaze

and others that are up and coming are:

Dragonforce
Powerquest
Intense
Balance Of Power
Shadow Keep
Biomechanical
Infobia