The Best Marshall Amp

Rockgurl

New Metal Member
Oct 28, 2005
CT, USA
www.debbieseymour.com
What, in your opinion, is the best Marshall amp. I know the classic JCM800 has always been the popular choice but vintage ones are hard to come by and according to friends of mine the others in the JCM series are not as good. What about the Valvestate series? I have to say that I have an AVT20 practice amp and it's one of the nicest small amps I've ever used and I am tempted to get the AVT150 half stack because I find it responsive and warm with great tone, even though it's only tube in the preamp. Would you go all tube? I'm in the market for a new amp and I've pretty much set my heart on a Marshall so I will go to Guitar Center and try a few out. I just wondered what the popular consensus was. I want something that has a really chunky, warm and heavy rhythm sound, and a biting lead sound with sustain.

I've got the AVT150 head, and although i can't say it's perfect, it is damn good for the price.

my advice to you if you're looking into it: DON'T buy the AVT speaker cabinets, they're piss-poor. if you combine the AVT head with a 1960A cab, it sounds very badass.

There is nothing like a tube Marshall stack.period.

tube,tube and only tube amps can deliver THE sound of prefection....if ya talking Marshall wise go for JCM800, 900; old JMPs MKII series

I own a JCM800 and have had other guitarists (who own/use the more modern triples, doubles, etc) borrow it at various gigs with the same comment many times after they have finished. 'Wanna sell it?'.. It's old and tattered and still pumps as good as the day I got it. I do run a Boss Metalzone and GT-5 for the added distortion/gain/effects I need. Would much prefer to get the old girl refurbished than to purchase one of these new flashing disco light amps with everything inbuilt.....
My reasoning for a seperate FX and amp set up is simple. You blow your amp you still have part of the sound you are comfortable with. With an all in one setup, blow your amp you've lost the lot...