The Big Four

Which album are you most excited to hear?

• Celestial Entrance

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Mercy Falls

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Remedy Lane

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Streets

Votes: 33 36.3%

• Total voters
I don't remember exactly where you tastes lie, Justin, but you really should give Mercy Falls some serious listens. In places it almost gets as serious as Remedy Lane for emotional impact. It's just an incredibly good album.

I'm sure I'd dig it. I like the one other SW disc I own. I just haven't made it around to the rest of their albums yet.

I don't remember exactly where you tastes lie, Justin, but you really should give Mercy Falls some serious listens. In places it almost gets as serious as Remedy Lane for emotional impact. It's just an incredibly good album.

Amen. I haven't teared up listening to music in a while.. Mercy Falls does that to me in 3 different places, guaranteed.

Mostly. I've ever claimed my interest in metal has been narrow and most definitely not extensive. My statement is basically my poking fun at myself for not really knowing what's going on that makes these 4 albums being done so amazing.

I fully realize I'm in the super minority on this. :)

On that topic, if it involves unicorns or parties, I'm down.

OR UNICORN PARTIES.

http://imgur.com/Q9BEAoS

Give Remedy Lane a try. I remember when I first heard it thinking that this is what progressive metal can be in the hands of true visionaries.

It was also the last PoS album I found remotely listenable, but that's a separate issue.

I went with Remedy Lane, just because Jon Oliva live is a bit more accessible than Pain of Salvation is - or at least until last spring; if I never got to see Streets in its entirety live, WoMD at PP was a damn close substitute.

Streets

I am seriously looking forward to Mercy Falls though. I was blown away by it when it first came out, and listen to it regularly. The did a couple of songs from it when they performed at PP, so I really want to hear the complete album live.

I have to go with "Remedy Lane." I own three of the four albums ("Mercy Falls" is the only one that's not in my collection, but Joan has it, so I've definitely heard it), and I appreciate each one. "Mercy Falls" has an amazing vocal delivery and killer musicianship, but the lyrics are a little too cheesy for me to put it at the top of my list. "Celestial Entrance" is the album that I first heard by Pagan's Mind, and it's still my personal favorite. As a former member of a Savatage tribute band, I'd have to be publicly flogged if I didn't like "Streets." Paul O'Neill and Jon Oliva whipped up a wicked metal opera before there was even a name for such a thing. However, Pain Of Salvation made the perfect album in 2002, and it's stuck with me ever since I first heard it. This album has everything you could ask for in a concept piece: an intriguing topic, brilliant lyrics, a passionate vocal delivery, impeccable musicianship, memorable themes, and a roller coaster of moods. I really enjoy what the band has released in the last decade, but this is the album that I instinctively grab when I think of Pain Of Salvation. The only way their set could be better is if the lineup that recorded the album was performing it.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I hate to just be a hater, but I gave PoS a shot back when I was first getting into metal. Be had just come out, and I just hated it. I listened through it twice, and just hated it both times. I wrote them off. I picked up Remedy Lane and listened to it all the way through recently...and just hated it. All of it - like in the middle, just throwing my hands up going "what's the point of this?" So I'm sorry for all the hate, but their set will likely find me not in the room. I don't want to be a dick to the droves of people who will undoubtedly be drooling all over them.

William I wouldn't say you're a hater. The thing is with PoS and this could be said with any of their albums is that they're indeed an acquired taste, and as Glen said you either love it or hate it. I can't blame you; then again, "Be" was probably the worst album to start with. I personally like the album, but it's probably their most difficult album.

I hate to just be a hater, but I gave PoS a shot back when I was first getting into metal. Be had just come out, and I just hated it. I listened through it twice, and just hated it both times. I wrote them off. I picked up Remedy Lane and listened to it all the way through recently...and just hated it. All of it - like in the middle, just throwing my hands up going "what's the point of this?" So I'm sorry for all the hate, but their set will likely find me not in the room. I don't want to be a dick to the droves of people who will undoubtedly be drooling all over them.

Well if you dislike progressive rock, which apparently you do if you didn't like Remedy Lane, it makes sense. ;) :devil:

My favorite part of this poll is that I'm not even familiar with any of these albums.

I'm a big fan of Jon Oliva and anything he does (with perhaps the exception of "Fight for the Rock" - long story).. The guy is a musical and songwriting genius. He started out playing metal with his brother Criss, whose life was tragically cut short by a drunk driver in 1993. Criss's death obviously affected Jon in a big way, and it has been and continues to be an influence in his songwriting.

Streets is a rock opera Jon and Criss put together back in their Savatage days. If you're interested in finding out more about Jon's music, check out:

Avatar, Savatage, Doctor Butcher, Jon Oliva's Pain, Trans Siberian Orchestra, Oliva

The Metal Archives and the Jon Oliva's Pain web sites are good places to start:
http://www.jonoliva.net/index2.html
http://www.metal-archives.com/
Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera [Full Album]

I was not familiar with Mercy Falls at all, but the buzz on Seventh Wonder has always been high on this board, so I bought it as soon as it was announced. I've played it about a dozen times so far. Really liking it. Not the love I have for Streets, but solid, and can't wait to see this done live.

I'm the odd many out with regard to Seventh Wonder. I'd rank SW's discs as (1) The Great Escape, (2) Waiting in the Wings, (3) Mercy Falls, and (4) Become. Don't get me wrong, though…Mercy Falls is a phenomenal CD…the other two are just more better phenomenaller. ;-)

POS is hard for me. I've had Remedy Lane for a while, and just never got into it. Since the announcement I've played it about six times, trying to "get" it. It is very slowly growing on me. I keep catching little pieces here and there to hang on to....but then it slips away. Looking forward to seeing it live, also, because there are some powerful themes that play into my crappy year this year.

If you haven't done so, READ THE LYRICS. If you have, read 'em again. ;-)

Seriously, one of the greatest things about PoS is Daniel's lyrics, particularly on RL. My favorite on RL is Rope Ends, which is supposedly based on an attempted suicide attempt by a friend of his wife (I think). The imagery painted by the lyrics is just amazing.

And on first listen or two, Rope Ends was probably my LEAST favorite song on that disc…until I read the lyrics. That made all the difference for me.

Craig

I would have preferred EITHER Enigmatic Calling OR Heavenly Ecstasy over Celestial Entrance, but that's just me.

Any of the last 4 Pagan's Mind albums would have been equally fine with me. For me it's not so much they are playing this particular album, it's that they are playing 2.5 hours. In that amount of time they should be able to get around to playing most of my favorites.

Streets, because I am an old fart who cares not for these new-fangled prog bands!

Now serious question...

How many of you are voting without really knowing all four albums?
*raises hand*

I don't see a problem with that though, since the question was "which one are you looking forward to most". Doesn't mean I won't check out the other albums. I may even enjoy them! However, had it been "which is the best album" I would not have voted because I have only heard a few songs from each of the other 3.

*raises hand*

I don't see a problem with that though, since the question was "which one are you looking forward to most". Doesn't mean I won't check out the other albums. I may even enjoy them!

That's fair enough. And I agree - everyone should check the other 3 out. It'd be just dumb not to. :)

I agree that enigmatic calling is a lot more awesome. Fortunately, they have a whole second set to amaze us with other stuff like this.

Mercy Falls.................and I would have preferred EITHER Enigmatic Calling OR Heavenly Ecstasy over Celestial Entrance, but that's just me.

Mercy Falls is the only reason I wanted to buy a ticket a year in advance. DGM, pagan's mind and pain of salvation just sweetened the deal. I have trouble remembering the other bands coming, but at least 70% of it is worth owning, and for the other 30%, I'm going to wait to see what I think.