The BIG prog metal bands

How about Ayreon?
Good stuff from arjen lucesson. He rocks!
heir Apparent is a great Queensryche style band that was forgotten about.
Infinity Minus One is not really a good band and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for any reason. But that is just my opinion.

I'll second the Archetype, Eternity X (The Edge is great, others are ok), and Sieges Even (only the last 2 "Uneven" and "Sophisticated"), those are the best bets for what you're looking for.

The first Ice Age disc is also great, but the 2nd one was pretty weak.

Zero Hour and Spiral Architect are amazing, but I do believe you have heard them both, and they're more in the tech arena than prog.

Gracepoint is great, but not so progressive, IMO.

Ayreon's "Flight of the Migrator" and Star One "Space Metal" are both good, but pretty cheesy at times.

Pain of Salvation, Ark, and Soul Cages are on the lighter side, thus they never kept my interest long.

And Depressive Age are great, but not really prog, more thrash/doom, kind of like Abstrakt Algebra, but less doomy. The later stuff, especially Electric Scum, could be considered prog; it's pretty eclectic.

Ion Vein is really power metal, but it's pretty good.

Others not mentioned:
All That I Bleed - IMO what Dream Theater should sound like, and I really like Dream Theater
Dimension - singer's kind of weak, but music's pretty good
Power of Omens - 'course you already heard them, I don't like the singer much either

I'm on an instrumental kick again lately, got any recommendations? Some more stuff like Happy Family or Doctor Nerve would be great.

Originally posted by metalized
Hmmm... Let's see...
Progressive.
First of all I would like to state that fates warning is my favorite band.

So... Check "No Exit" and "Perfect Symmetry" for perfect progressive. I wouldn't recomend "Paralleles or later on cause esp. for trapped it is not too technical.

Rebirth mentioned Threshold. Oh, yeah, they are one of a kind. :headbang:

Vauxdvihl (if i spelled it correctly)
Sieges Even
End Amen (sideproject of Psychotic Waltz members )
Wolverine
Mystic Force
Time Machine
You already know Cynic and Death.
Jester's March
Mekong Delta
Spiral Architect
CORONER

phuuu... fuck it. There are loooots more, but now i am too bored to think.

But if i wanna really answer your question, about the big progressive metal bands I would say that Queensryche and Fates Warning paved the first path. Along with Watchtower.

ah... And of course Martyr. Hey Trapped? ;)

:D Martyr :headbang:

Vauxdvihl (if i spelled it correctly) - Yup... they were australian were they not?
Sieges Even - yup
End Amen (sideproject of Psychotic Waltz members :headbang: ) - Heard em
Wolverine - Yup, you got me into them ages ago metalman :D
Mystic Force - I'll check 'em out
Time Machine - Same
You already know Cynic and Death. - Cynic, Death :confused: Who are they?? :err:
Jester's March - I'll check 'em out.
Mekong Delta - Heard em
Spiral Architect - Obviously :D
CORONER :headbang: SEMTEX REVOLUTION!!

Conception - all their stuff especially in your multitude, flow was commercial sounding but still good

Yup, I checked them out before... pretty good

Into Eternity - Progressive Death Metal 60% clean vocals 40% death vocals 100% killer

Sounds opethy. :err: I'll check em out anyway

Gracepoint - progressive thrash with a singer that sounds like scott weiland a bit. Very very good music, lyrics, and singing

Sounds awesome, i'll hae a listen.

Zero Hour - Progressive Technical Metal. Amazing music and singing and lyrics. The band is not a fan of the chorus. (they soon will have a forum here)

Very cool band...!

Archetype - Progressive metal - amazing amazing level of musicianship but the singer is ok but he can be much better

Hey, i've been plugging them here for a while :lol: I found them a couple of weeks/months ago. Great band

ARK - progressive metal - has guitarist from Conception and many different influences in the music. Too bad Jorn (the singer) left.

Yah, pretty good. I don't like the vocalist tho.

Dead Soul Tribe - has the singer from psychotic waltz on it and the music is somewhat similar to tool. Still very good stuff.

Ha ha.. buddey Lackey *shakes head*

Spiral Architect - they dont call themselves prog they call themselves technical metal, but still amazing stuff. for their time signature stuff im sure they just rolled a d20 to figure it out. not one second of 4/4 time on this one (well, maybe thats an exageration).

There's actually a few seconds of 4/4 I love the cd, it's amazing. Cloud Constructor is amazing

All That I Bleed - IMO what Dream Theater should sound like, and I really like Dream Theater
Dimension - singer's kind of weak, but music's pretty good
Power of Omens - 'course you already heard them, I don't like the singer much either

Cool, i'll check All That i Bleed out, sounds awesome... Yeah, power of Omen's are great... but the vocals totally kill it for me :yuk:

I've been listening to Archetype and Antithesis heaps lately... That and Blind Guardian :D Nothing too new i'm afraid, i'm always looking tho. Echosilence is the best for instrumentals *thumbs up*

Originally posted by Trapped
Dream Theater Symphony X.

What's some other prog stuff i should check out... i don't mind if they are DT and SX copies... in fact, that would be good, as i like both bands... SX more than DT.

So what's some other Guitar-Prog albums i should check out.

Eternity X - The Edge (the greates prog metal album ever released IMO)

Pain of Salvation - One Hour by the Concrete Lake

Evergrey - In Search of Truth

Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry

Fates Warning - Parallels

Fates Warning - Inside Out

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle

Wolverine - The Window Purpose

Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

... many more. Just ask if you need more recommendations. I love prog metal!

NP: Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry

Arcturus-- The Masquerade Infernale
Cosmosquad-- Squadrophenia
Love History-- Anasazi
Orphaned Land-- Sahara

Cosmosquad is instrumental only and the other three are more extreme with some growling vocals.

Has anyone listened to Karmakanic's disc Entering? I'm not really a fan of the Flower Kings but I really like this disc.

everyone has named great stuff

I would like to emphasize Pain of Salvation

listening to them is a religious experience almost every time.

I think you would enjoy Entropia the most.

Originally posted by azal
everyone has named great stuff

I would like to emphasize Pain of Salvation

listening to them is a religious experience almost every time.

I think you would enjoy Entropia the most.

I agree... Pain of Salvation are geniuses.

Edwin Dare too.....

I just saw the Cosmosquad post and was reminded :)

and you are fucking insane if you think ...And the Devil Cried
is the only progressive Psychotic Waltz song.....

ha ha... i'm fucking insane then.

I love PW, i love all their stuff, even their later stuff... but it's really not particularily prog.

It's good, but it's not tech metal at all.

the first two albums are complex enough to be considered prog metal....not tech...there are very few true tech bands....

the last too are like Progressive Psychedelic Metal...focusing more on a general groove and tight songwriting than shredding....
by all standards...the albums were very unique and innovative and by that criteria alone are classified as progressive IMO.