The BIG prog metal bands

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
Dream Theater Symphony X.

What's some other prog stuff i should check out... i don't mind if they are DT and SX copies... in fact, that would be good, as i like both bands... SX more than DT.

So what's some other Guitar-Prog albums i should check out.

Queensryche ,Psychotic waltz and Fates Warning are bigger than the ones already mentioned.
Check these:
Eternity X "the edge" album
Shadow Gallery
Depressive Age
Watchtower
Soul Cages
Secrecy
Conception "Flow" album
thats a good start i think ...

I've got Psychotic Waltz's stuff. ..And the Devil Cried is just about the only prog song they wrote... Good band, but not really what i was meaning.

Yeah, i've heard soul cages, Evergrey.. and of course watchtower. I would call Watchtower Tech Metal, not prog... But hey, genre's are a different thing to each person.

I'll check the other stuff out... thanks

trapped, fromthe UK, better than NILE....

This band is super tight...

Hmmm... Let's see...
Progressive.
First of all I would like to state that fates warning is my favorite band.

So... Check "No Exit" and "Perfect Symmetry" for perfect progressive. I wouldn't recomend "Paralleles or later on cause esp. for trapped it is not too technical.

Rebirth mentioned Threshold. Oh, yeah, they are one of a kind. :headbang:

Vauxdvihl (if i spelled it correctly)
Sieges Even
End Amen (sideproject of Psychotic Waltz members :headbang: )
Wolverine
Mystic Force
Time Machine
You already know Cynic and Death.
Jester's March
Mekong Delta
Spiral Architect
CORONER

phuuu... fuck it. There are loooots more, but now i am too bored to think.

But if i wanna really answer your question, about the big progressive metal bands I would say that Queensryche and Fates Warning paved the first path. Along with Watchtower.

ah... And of course Martyr. Hey Trapped? ;)

Conception - all their stuff especially in your multitude, flow was commercial sounding but still good

Into Eternity - Progressive Death Metal 60% clean vocals 40% death vocals 100% killer

Gracepoint - progressive thrash with a singer that sounds like scott weiland a bit. Very very good music, lyrics, and singing

Lemur Voice - Progressive metal with a lot of jazz influences. too bad the stuff is hard to find and the band broke up.

Zero Hour - Progressive Technical Metal. Amazing music and singing and lyrics. The band is not a fan of the chorus. (they soon will have a forum here)

Archetype - Progressive metal - amazing amazing level of musicianship but the singer is ok but he can be much better

ARK - progressive metal - has guitarist from Conception and many different influences in the music. Too bad Jorn (the singer) left.

Dead Soul Tribe - has the singer from psychotic waltz on it and the music is somewhat similar to tool. Still very good stuff.

Pain of Salvation was already mentioned, but if you want their metal stuff go to Entropia or One Hour By the Concrete Lake

Spiral Architect - they dont call themselves prog they call themselves technical metal, but still amazing stuff. for their time signature stuff im sure they just rolled a d20 to figure it out. not one second of 4/4 time on this one (well, maybe thats an exageration).

Theres other stuff i like, but you said progressive and i hope this helps you ;)

Originally posted by Soul of Ice
Into Eternity - Progressive Death Metal 60% clean vocals 40% death vocals 100% killer

Spiral Architect - they dont call themselves prog they call themselves technical metal, but still amazing stuff. for their time signature stuff im sure they just rolled a d20 to figure it out. not one second of 4/4 time on this one (well, maybe thats an exageration).

excellent choices here!

Originally posted by Soul of Ice

:)
my brother plays bass, and he wonders why the hell they made it sound like it does....
IT SOUNDS LIKE A GIANT BUMBLEBEE

for example download Spiral Architect - Adaptability