The black metal topic

arglebargle

Dec 2, 2002
Chicago, IL
We have a death metal topic, so damned if we don't have one for black metal. List your favorite black metal bands, be they symphonic black, true black, or avant-garde black. Or just talk about black metal, whatever.

I'm partial to Naglfar (oh hell yeah!), Emperor, Old Man's Child, Borknagar, Sirius, Nargaroth, Dimmu Borgir, Arcturus, and prolly some others that I forgot.

ah shit, more typing *grumble grumble*

Behemoth (they are a black and death mix now, but fuck all arguements), borknagar, children of bodom (again, i don't fucking care to argue. They can be classifyed as a lot of genres... stop bitching), dimmu borgir, emperor, ephal duath (first album), finntroll (close enough), impaled nazarene, old man's child, rotting christ, siebenburgen, suidakra (to some extent), thyrfing (again, to some extent), vintersorg, and that's about it.

Reactions: NapalmForLunch
yeah, i love amon amarth, but i think they are closer to death metal... but you know me. i'm the last to do the genre war :lol:... but i would guess death. if you disagree, that's cool... if they are bm though, i say amon amarth as well.

Dimmu are the masters of black metal :devil:

I also like Finntroll, and just heard some Borknagar (can you really call them bm tho? They have predominantly clean vox, at least in the songs I heard).

And Zack, I dont care if Bodom can fit in many styles, they certainly are NOT Black metal ;)

:lol:

Borknagar was originally black metal... empiricism has them going away from BM more than ever though... ever since vortex has been in the group (since archaic course) it's steadily gone away from bm, but still has the elements.

More black metal fans need to hear Samael - Ceremony of Opposites.

Other great bands:

Dissection
Emperor
Immortal
Grand Belial's Key

Although I consider them "Black metal for people who don't like black metal," I'll go ahead and say Children of Bodom. I like a little bit of Emperor, too.

It must be so hard to be black metal... it seems denying that bands are "real black metal" is the way to be a true fan of the genre. So the biggest black metal fan probably has no one to listen to. Poor guy.