The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Yes, thats the trick, you have to get the mid-shift and gain/bass response to shine through. I'd rather have more of GP and let the Sansamp form the sound around it.

hello guys :) I've been away for sometimes and I have to say this forum hasn't changed much :D

friends, I have been working hard to save money for a good tube amp and I recently found out that my options are very limited :( the only good thing is that I've heard about a good store nearby that is authorized dealer of Blackstar amps. and the prices are very reasonable! I was wondering if someone could tell me if its possible to get a Bodomish tone out of their HT series amps or not! I would be so grateful cuz its my only chance of getting a good amp and if I blow it I won't get a second chance!

many thanks.

hello guys :) I've been away for sometimes and I have to say this forum hasn't changed much :D

friends, I have been working hard to save money for a good tube amp and I recently found out that my options are very limited :( the only good thing is that I've heard about a good store nearby that is authorized dealer of Blackstar amps. and the prices are very reasonable! I was wondering if someone could tell me if its possible to get a Bodomish tone out of their HT series amps or not! I would be so grateful cuz its my only chance of getting a good amp and if I blow it I won't get a second chance!

many thanks.

I had one of the tiny blackstars and it sounded fucking great, I'm sure you can get some good tones out of it. Of course if you have the cash Alexi is using ENGL and Marshall now.

I had one of the tiny blackstars and it sounded fucking great, I'm sure you can get some good tones out of it. Of course if you have the cash Alexi is using ENGL and Marshall now.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me mate.

which model did you have specifically? how was the build quality?

I've never owned a tube amp before so I don't know which one is the best choice for home practice and rehearsing. is the Blackstar HT Club 40 a good choice? is 40 watts good at giving heavy sounds at lower volumes? I know that that's what 1 and 5 watts are built for but does it mean that 40 watts is too loud for bedroom?

and to be honest I'm not really a big fan of Alexis new sounds. the perfect tone was on FTR and HCDR in my opinion. and I don't want to have exactly the same kind of tone. just the same taste you know.

I have a blackstar ht 20, great classic rock and lo-gain thrash metal tones. The clean channel is its strongest suit.

Doesn't have enough gain so you cant get a bodom tone out of it.

Blackstar is like marshall basiclly, any model over 50w should have enough gain. My buddy got a ht100 and with an tubescreamer/SD-1 it is very good.

I have a blackstar ht 20, great classic rock and lo-gain thrash metal tones. The clean channel is its strongest suit.

Doesn't have enough gain so you cant get a bodom tone out of it.
Thanks so the HT 20 is out :)

Blackstar is like marshall basiclly, any model over 50w should have enough gain. My buddy got a ht100 and with an tubescreamer/SD-1 it is very good.

the only issue that I have right now is that I must balance the gain and its usability in places like my flat! of course the 100 watt has the most gain but not really practical for home uses! the thing is that I don't know how different 100 watt and 40 are from each other in terms of usability in low volumes!

if you think that 40 watts has enough gain and also works well in low volumes then I think the best option would HT Club 40! correct me if I'm wrong

your advice means a lot to me :)

Check out the new Randall Diavlo series too, since mike fortin got involved their tube amps sound really good, although I never tried one

Thanks so the HT 20 is out :)

the only issue that I have right now is that I must balance the gain and its usability in places like my flat! of course the 100 watt has the most gain but not really practical for home uses! the thing is that I don't know how different 100 watt and 40 are from each other in terms of usability in low volumes!

if you think that 40 watts has enough gain and also works well in low volumes then I think the best option would HT Club 40! correct me if I'm wrong

your advice means a lot to me :)

So how much is your budget and does your local shop import anything for you if you ask them? And what sound are you really after? HT series is quite ok, but they all need some more drive. Not any more powerful than a JCM-800ish amp, but with more modern circuits.

So how much is your budget and does your local shop import anything for you if you ask them? And what sound are you really after? HT series is quite ok, but they all need some more drive. Not any more powerful than a JCM-800ish amp, but with more modern circuits.

my budget is around 700-800$! as I mentioned earlier my options are very very limited! for instance with my budget the other options ( according to the prices in here and also availability of the models) would be Marshall MA or Engl Gigmaster 15 or Laney IRT low watt amps!

and as goes for the sound, for the distortions my ideal distortion sound would be like the sound of Alexi's rig in the first Rockhouse DVD. and the cleans are also important but I'm not really focused that much on the clean! a Good clean works just fine for me.

You could buy a used ADA MP-1 and a used mesa boogie 20/20 plus any cheap cab of thomann.de, ans then I mean anything and you could get 90% the sound of the first Rockhouse DVD. ADA-MP1: $250 with shipping.
Mesa 20/20: $300with shipping
Cab:As cheap as $150 with shipping.

But then there is import taxes....

You could buy a used ADA MP-1 and a used mesa boogie 20/20 plus any cheap cab of thomann.de, ans then I mean anything and you could get 90% the sound of the first Rockhouse DVD. ADA-MP1: $250 with shipping.
Mesa 20/20: $300with shipping
Cab:As cheap as $150 with shipping.

But then there is import taxes....

I noticed the MP1 on the dvd but I had no idea what the other units are!

the cab shouldn't be a problem I will get a Blackstar

there are two problems though!

1. I need more cash so i have to wait sometime which shouldn't be really difficult!

2. here in Iran because of sanctions and political bullshits we can't have Paypal or any other credit card! and if you look in ebay Iran is not on the list of countries! but I guess I have to find someone abroad to do me this favor!

I guess the good tone is worth all this wait.

by the way are all ADA MP1s the same? don't they have different variations? like GP1000?

I have a Blackstar HT-20H and it can deff. do metal tones. If you can't get a metal tone out of it, then you must not be turning it up loud enough. IMO, 20 watts is plenty of power if you just plan on playing in your room, even for small gigs. Just don't buy the combo. One 12" speaker isn't going to move enough air. I would get at minimum a 2x12. See my signature for my gear and I can tell you, I can get A LOT of different tones with the 10 band EQ and the tube screamer. And having a 2x12 cab with V30's is going to get you a very sweet tone. I love the set up I have now...and just remember, uber gain isn't needed for a lot of metal. The less gain you can get away with the cleaner more articulate your playing will sound. Don't hide behind the gain.

HT series is quite ok, but they all need some more drive. Not any more powerful than a JCM-800ish amp, but with more modern circuits.

Rune hit it on the head with this comment. And if you think the JCM800 lacks gain....go fuck yourself! But, a tube screamer will make it sing a little better. Just gives it a little more saturation.

I have a Blackstar HT-20H and it can deff. do metal tones. If you can't get a metal tone out of it, then you must not be turning it up loud enough. IMO, 20 watts is plenty of power if you just plan on playing in your room, even for small gigs. Just don't buy the combo. One 12" speaker isn't going to move enough air. I would get at minimum a 2x12. See my signature for my gear and I can tell you, I can get A LOT of different tones with the 10 band EQ and the tube screamer. And having a 2x12 cab with V30's is going to get you a very sweet tone. I love the set up I have now...and just remember, uber gain isn't needed for a lot of metal. The less gain you can get away with the cleaner more articulate your playing will sound. Don't hide behind the gain.

thanks for the info bro.

yes I do agree with you. I've always believed that heavy sound is not necessarily equal to super high gain. I personally don't like super high gain sounds I think the sound loses its dynamics.

I am now planning to get the ADA MP1. but I will get a Blackstar too. because surely I will need a do it all amp.

I just came to know that this store near me has special sales on Blackstars every once in a while!
for instance now they have a special sale on Blackstar Gus G Blackfire 200 plus its 4x12 cab! its for sale for only 2100$!!!

hey guys

i have an edwards scythe which has an emg ALX and i decided to change the tone of it because i dont like how highs sound so sharp or harsh when i solo and the mini wah effect the pickup creates (at least i feel it does create a bit) and how it amazingly demands perfect playing to avoid any kind of noise, the pickup is more sensible than a chick

so im looking for the exact reverse... i wanted a really balanced tone with singing highs but not so mid focus like this. big tight low end is what i most like. as the guitar is alder maple, i think it should request a warm pickup, what pickup do you suggest?

in the meantime, i could try other configurations in the emg alx 3 band eq, maybe i could change the tone to sound it better for me... translated in the 3 band eq, what should i do to have less treble and more bass sound? if im not sucessful in here, than ill go to plan B and think in a new pickup.

thats it, i really appreciate your help, thank you in advance :)

I have Seymour duncan full shred in my guitar - almost sounds like what you described, it's tight, solo tone is awesome, but... If you suck, you gonna hear it. It's not really a hot pickup, but it's very articulate and clean sounding. I like it a lot.

Try the JE-1000 settings on the ALX EQ from left of the EQ. 1: off 2.on 3.on Gain 80%

hey guys

i have an edwards scythe which has an emg ALX and i decided to change the tone of it because i dont like how highs sound so sharp or harsh when i solo and the mini wah effect the pickup creates (at least i feel it does create a bit) and how it amazingly demands perfect playing to avoid any kind of noise, the pickup is more sensible than a chick

so im looking for the exact reverse... i wanted a really balanced tone with singing highs but not so mid focus like this. big tight low end is what i most like. as the guitar is alder maple, i think it should request a warm pickup, what pickup do you suggest?

in the meantime, i could try other configurations in the emg alx 3 band eq, maybe i could change the tone to sound it better for me... translated in the 3 band eq, what should i do to have less treble and more bass sound? if im not sucessful in here, than ill go to plan B and think in a new pickup.

thats it, i really appreciate your help, thank you in advance :)

First thing I would do is EQ the amp differently. You should be able to EQ out the sharpness and make your sound tighter and less mid focused. What amp do you use?

Second thing I would try is changing the switches on the ABQ to suit the sound you are looking for.

I really don't think a new PU is needed to do what you are wanting.