The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

I prefer lighter strings always

Here is me playing next in line with my new rig

Ltd alexi 600 > rocktron velocity power amp > boss gt 1000 core > evh 2x12

really happy with it, what do y’all think?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXZPf3gq1Bh/?utm_medium=copy_link
Dude, pretty killer tones you're getting!
I'm thinking about going for one of the smaller modellers myself. Either the GT-1000CORE, HX Stomp or POD GO. I already have a Rocktron Velocity 300 and a 2x12 cab.

Reactions: MattK
I'm on a few different guitar discussion groups on facebook, and in the comments of a post i recognised a name that I had seen earlier.

Antti Härmä. He was Alexi and Roopes tech from 2010 till 2014. He built the initial Marshall rig using 3 JVM410H for Alexi.
Prior to going with the Marshalls, Alexi tested out some stuff:

"There was a period when some soul searching was done when it comes to tone. The Lee Jackson, ADA MP-1 and Engl E530 were circulated until he settled for the Engl and a VHT 2:90:2 power amp. The Engl Poewer amp they sent us to try out didn't work out, it was straight up Norwegian black metal territory. Blackstars were tried out too but they never made the touring lineup for even a single gig. Then around Halo he told me he wants to play Marshall so I started the
negotiations and he got an endorsement."

And:
"The E530 was gigged extensively and it was also in the US rig. The MP-1 was around for a few shows, it never really worked out.

The marshall rig was simple and fail safe, it had two identical head running simultaneously that were switched with a Weber amp head switcher. And a third one running a very loud offstage can that few the FOH.

RRF was Lee Jackson for Allu. I think Roope had the Engl then already."

And finally:
"The wireless units were Sennheiser EW500 G3s. The reference cable I built for them was a Mogami 2524 with Neutrik connectors. When we got the Sennheisers they had dialed in their sounds and we'd just sit and try to match the sound with the wireless. We got pretty close, but the lower mids were always behaving differently with the wireless. Still, close enough with the gain settings and the cable emulator. I think we ran the packs at -42dB or -39dB and the output of the receiver at +18dB. The pickups were passive EMG HZ-2s, which are not super hot. I think the preamps were run at full blast except for the volume. All new guitars were volume matched so there was unity gain between them, of course.

The Lee Jacksons were modified for more gain by a Finnish amp wizard Lassi Ukkonen, a former military helicopter tech. He still is doing amp stuff, his company is called Triodipaja. He knows the exact details of the mods, it wasn't anything complicated, though.

You will get the live sound of that era pretty much by running the E530 into a VHT 2 90 2 power amp and a straight Marshall 4x12 loaded with V30s. There are no big secrets there."

Those wireless units cost half as much as one of the amp heads. I think them being high quality, and much more adjustable than the cheapo 2.4 gHz systems around, means that you can gain match what the guitar-preamp was supposed to output to the Marshall/rack preamps. Studio was always a cable though. Other than that the rigs were dead simple. Antti also appears in the 2013 rig rundown that is on youtube.

I like the boss gt1000 core more than the Helix when I had it for what it’s worth
It's frankly worth alot. Do you have an onboard boost in your guitar, and how does it work in conjunction with the GT-1000?
This is my biggest concern with going for a modeller. In some of them the input is adjustable, but others are not. If the input is a global adjustment, how about clean sounds? For my rack, I can just switch to a super low gain channel/patch to compensate.
The other option is to just have your guitar completely passive and just model the boost using an EQ block.
What does the rest of you do?

The clip I just posted I’m just using an emg 81 with a 9v. I got the 24v mod coming. Gt1000 has a lot better high gain tones than I could get out of the helix. I’m actually using one of the presets but I just meddled with chorus/reverb/delay a little.

Last edited:
So I was kinda surprised to find out that Alexi's cab has Celestion G12T-75 speakers. Anyone have any experience with those?

So I was kinda surprised to find out that Alexi's cab has Celestion G12T-75 speakers. Anyone have any experience with those?
He did use those speakers as they come stock in the Marshall 1960 cabs, for like the first maybe half of his career. Later he turned more mainstram and got 1960BV which has V30.

I was going by the gear they auctioned off and the touring rig cab is a 1960B.
Ah, yeah, the badge is broken off. The last couple of rig rundowns have said the cab had 'Vintage 30' or 'Vintage Celestion speakers', and that they were 1960BV.
Marshall have their own Marshall branded Celestion Vintage speaker, that is basically just a V30.
If you want the sound of early Bodom, try the G12T-75's.
I've had an old 1960A, from 1992, and that nailed the sound.

Did anyone get their Ripped/Hexed models yet? I pre-ordered a couple on release, but dates keep getting pushed back :( Now getting told late summer for the E-II and Feb for the LTD Hexed.

Also looks like ESP just increased the prices on all of them too. Big bummer. Seeing that with a lot of companies though, so it's probably shipping container related again or something

He has one :D

Iikka is my brightest hope for the future. I mean y'all guys aight, but this lil' man is killing it.
His playing is 85% there (80% better than me), but the vocals are truly good.
He'll get there and, maybe if alcohol or other addiction doesn't take root in his life, he'll someday surpass our master.
I really think he is that good.
Think back on what you guys where like at 15 years old?
My toes are folding in on themselves :rofl: