The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

cant you order the JE-1000 from jackson ???

anywassy i think if you put a set of Sd blakcouts in your RR its pretty cool and man warheart you PWNED the fret board on your vids OMG thank god you also Juts drew that snake on i was like OMg XD
Nope you can't order from Jackson I already tried!:Smug:

Thing is, it doesn't sound any different when the boost is on. It has the same effect as turning the gain knob up to full so I just keep it off 'cause it's fucking noisy at high volume.

I have done but it still sounds the same, the gain level is just a bit lower. I do not notice any change in TONE at all.

oh, sorry for confusion... Ive got the EMG HZ H4 and the EMG PA-2

That's what i had on my ESP-LTD MMV when i still had it. I didn't like it one bit...sure it could be handy and all but the noise and the tone change was close to zero. Ofcourse it made the passives sound a bit more full but...IMO it was not worthi it. If i would get a booster it would maybe be MM-04 but seeing as i dislike boosters in general i doubt that will happen. It's possible if i get a Jackson stars though...depends on their price change(if theres any) because i won't leave a booster hole empty :lol: The totally black Jackson stars looks awesome.

Alexi Laiho’s Gear
Since there is lots of (un)official information, i will place an article about alexi his gear/tone during the Children of Bodom happening.

First of all:
Alexi changes his gear A LOT, especially his rack.
I discover lots of information out of pictures during live performances. And (too bad) I don’t have a picture of every gig he plays. And most of the pictures are unclear so I can’t see his gear very well.

His Sound:
His old (better) setup:
He uses 2 custom Jacksons (a white pinstriped and the guitar with the famous yellow bevels). These guitars are equipped with a single J50BC passive humbucker in the bridge. It sort of is a ceramic PAF humbucker with a low ouput. J50 B = Bridge and C = Ceramic.
Another thing is the JE1000 gainbooster. The J50BC and the JE1000 are designed to go along with each other.
The JE1000 is a gainbooster with added tone control options (low,mids,high). The amount of added boost is unknown for me.

Then you have his rack which basically is:
Lee Jackson perfect connection GP1000
Rocktron Intellifex
A power amp ( E840/50 power amp, Peavey 50/50, VHT 2/90/2).

The pre-amp is very important for his sound. It is not a high-gain amplifier like all ENGL's/Mesa boogies are today but a true 80's heavy metal amplifier.
Alexi drives his tube amplifier with his J50BC + JE1000 setup and that makes his sound.
He used many power amps, but any (tube) power amp will do fine. He used (for example): Rocktron Velocity, ENGL E840/50 power amp (during Sinergy), Peavey 50/50 (old days), Lee Jackson SP1000 and many more.

His modern setup is different.
When his custom ESP's came out in 2003, he uses a passive EMG HZ4 together with a MM04 or JE1000 gainboost. The MM04 is a straight rip off of the JE1000 and is sold in some stores for way to much money. His rack is almost the same as in the old days but he added a TECH21 Sansamp PSA1.1 pre amp. And he uses a VHT 2/90/2 power amp.

During the summer of 2007 he changed pickups. He ditched the HZ4 + MM04 setup and returned to Seymour Duncan pickups.
He now uses an active Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB1 in the bridge.
This is a pickup similar to an EMG81 but with much better tone and less noise.

Guitars
1stoneguitaret8.jpg

Stone Guitar:
Brand: Jackson
Model: Custom Rhandy Rhoads Model
Pickup: Jackson J-50BC in the bridge
Bridge: Original Floyd Rose
Body: Alder Body
Neck: Neck Thru, Maple, Oiled
Fingerboard: Ebony, 24 Fret
Frets: Scalloped frets: 21-22-23-24
Inlay: Mother of Pearl Shark Fin Position Inlays
Electronics: JE1000 installed
Controls: Single Volume
Paintjob: Black with white pinstripe’s
Serial: RR2??? (Build in ??/??)

Information:
This guitar was previously owned by Jiri Jalkanen (Stone guitarist). This guitar also has a Stone sticker on the side of the lower fin. That’s why it is called the “stone guitar”.
Alexi bought this guitar in the finnish guitar store Musamaailma. It was stolen after September 28th of 2002 after the Spinefest.

2wildchildguitaryc5.jpg

Wildchild Guitar:
Controls: Single Volume and gainboost switch
Paintjob: Black with yellow bevels
Serial: RR241? (Build in 89/90)

Information:
This is most famous guitar of Alexi. The guitar has a “wildchild” sticker on it (Wildchild is from a WASP song). Just like the stone guitar it was also stolen on September 28th of 2002 after the Spinefest

3greenpinguitarzj9.jpg

Green Pinstripe Guitar:
Bridge: Original Floyd Rose/Schaller (Various)
Hardware colour changed a lot (different volume knobs/tuners/bridge)
Controls: Single Volume and gainboost switch
Paintjob: Black with green pinstripes
Serial: RR???? (Build in ??/??)

Information:
Rumours are going, that this is also a custom shop from alexi. This guitar is alexi his property (and not roope’s).
This is guitar is used during various shows in 2003 by Children of Bodom AND Sinergy.
The guitar still exists, but is in bad condition.

4scythesxv5.jpg

ESP Scythe:
Brand: ESP
Model: RR Model
Pickup: EMG HZ-H4
Neck: Neck Thru, Maple, Painted neck
Inlay: Scythes inlay
Electronics: -
Paintjob: White with black pinstripes
Serial: -

Note:
This was on of the first custom ESP’s alexi received.
It has a “you touch you die” sticker on the side of the guitar.

Alexi installed the JE1000 (he received from Alexander) circuit in this guitar. The circuit was not a part of the original guitar.

This guitar was normally tuned in Standard D.

6arrowheadbo6.jpg

ESP Arrowhead.
Model: RR Model
Pickup: EMG HZ-H4/Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-1
Neck: Neck Thru, Maple, See-through finish on neck
Inlay: Arrowhead inlay
Paintjob: Black with Yellow bevels

Note:
This was on of the first custom ESP’s alexi received.
He scratched “CKY” and “XXX” on the guitar. He only used this guitar for a couple of shows, so later this has became his practice guitar. But after the Blooddrunk album was recorded, he used the guitar on stage again.

Alexi installed the JE1000 (he received from Alexander) circuit in this guitar. The circuit was not a part of the original guitar.

8sawtoothco9.jpg

ESP Sawtooth:
Model: Custom RR Model
Pickup: EMG HZ-H4
Fingerboard: Ebony, 24 Frets
Inlay: Scythes inlay
Paintjob: Black with white/yellow pinstripes

Note:

This guitar was normally tuned in Drop C

9pinkalexiyc2.jpg

ESP Pink Alexi
Model: Custom RR Model
Pickup: Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-1
Fingerboard: Ebony, 24 Fret (scalloped 20-21-22-23-24)
Inlay: Pink Sawtooth Inlay
Paintjob: Black with Pink bevels

Note:
This is the newest ESP alexi model, it was introduced in 2007.
During the summer of 2007, alexi used this model for a couple of times. But after the Blooddrunk album was released, it appeared on the stage again.

Normally tuned in Drop-C

New guitar models:
18scytheshp8.jpg
7sawtoothue8.jpg

Alexi has received new guitars in 2007.
Both his guitars (scythe and Sawtooth) were replaced.

The noticeable differences with the guitars are:
- Signature on headstock.
- Missing gainboost switch.
- New pickup (Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-1).

I’m still confused about his new guitars and how many guitars he received.

These are really Custom Shops made for Alexi (Below the ESP logo there is the CS sign).

Pickups:
11j50bckv2.jpg
10j50bcme7.jpg

Jackson J-50BC:
He had 3 Custom Jacksons. (Note: on the picture the stickers says “j-50B, but the C is handwritten).
These guitars are equipped with a single J50BC passive humbucker in the bridge. It sort of is a ceramic PAF humbucker with a lower ouput.
J50 B = Bridge and C = Ceramic.
Used: 1997-2001

14emgh4je9.jpg

EMG HZ-H4:
The H4 is the equivalent of EMG's 81 Active Pickup without the "Active". It uses two bar-loaded coils for that "Balls to the Walls” tone.
Used: 2002-now

16blackoutoj2.jpg

Seymour Duncan Blackouts AHB-1:
In 2007, Alexi is endorsed by Seymour Duncan to use the new AHB-1 Blackouts.
In 2008, ESP installed the SD Blackout standard in every Alexi Signature guitar.
Used: 2007-now

Gainboost:

12je1000ey0.jpg

JE1000:
The JE1000 is a gainbooster with added tone control options (low,mids,high). The amount of added boost is unknown for me. The JE1000 basically boosts the signal giving it more sustain. It also changes the frequency response giving notes more definition.
JE stands for Jackson Electronics

13je1000os9.jpg

MM04:
The MM04 is a gainbooster which is actually a copy of the JE1000. You can check both the images and consider yourself. PCB, transistors and the capacitors layout, it is all the same.
It has been PRODUCED (not designed) by The ESP Guitar Company and Musamaailma (A finnish Guitar distributor).

Effect pedals:
Alexi isn’t a big fan of pedals, though he still uses effect pedals very often.

- ??? (Wah-wah pedal)
- Boss Tuner TU-2
- Boss Overdrive OD-1

Amplifiers:
Alexi was a user that is known for using rack gear. Though he still used some head’s.

- Peavey 5150 (Something Wild Recording)
- Krank Revolution (Guitar Heroes Album Recording, FME ’07)
- Bogner Uberschall (FME ’08)
- Marshall JCM800 (2001 Gods of Metal festival, for example)
- Marshall JCM2000 (Young Guitar, for example)
- Marshall JVM410H (During Blooddrunk recording)
- Marshall KK2203 Signature (Blooddrunk album recording, Spinefest@sea ‘08)
- Line 6 Flextone III (Passage to the Reaper demonstration)

Rack Gear:
Most of the time his sound (before 2007) was produced by a rack.
He has lots of units in his rack, so it is difficult to know which unit is even on and plugged in.
Here are the units he owned:

Power Distributor:
- Samson PowerBrite Pro 9.

Wireless Units:
- Shure UHF Marcad Diversity MKII
- Sennheiser unit *???*

FX Units:
- RSP 2400 Hush/Enhancer/Exciter
- Rocktron Intellifex

Preamps:
- Lee Jackson GP-1000
- Tech 21 SansAmp PSA 1
- ADA MP-1 (Rock House Method Instruction DVD)

Poweramps:
- Rocktron Velocity 250 (Hatebreeder)
- Peavey 50/50 (Tuska 2003)
- Mesa Boogie 50/50 (Rock House Method Instruction DVD)
- Lee Jackson SP1000 (Tokyo Warhearts, Seoul 2001)
- ENGL E840/50 (Sinergy)
- VHT Two/Fifty/Two (Are you Dead Yet album recording, Stockholm Knockout Live).

I'm pretty sure the Stone guitar was made in 88/89.
Are you sure all the jackson's are alder?
I want to know where Alexi got his Yellow Bevel and Green Pinstipe guitars.The Green pinstripe one is a little newer becuase it has a custom shop logo on its headstock.

I'm pretty sure the Stone guitar was made in 88/89.
Possibly earlier.
Are you sure all the jackson's are alder?
Nope, they could also have poplar wings.
I want to know where Alexi got his Yellow Bevel and Green Pinstipe guitars.
The Green pinstripe one is a little newer because it has a custom shop logo on its headstock.
The yellow bevel could be a refinished guitar. The serial of the guitar teaches us the guitar has been build before alexi even touched a guitar.

The green pinstripe is a mystery imo. Made between 1996/1998

I've updated the guitar section on SOB. should be pretty much correct now. plz check it out and tell me if their's something wrong or if something's worth to add... thx!

Looks good. Well you could change that the Green Pinstripe RR was NOT roopes and that the Edwards Arrowhead is Discontinued(atleast thats the picture ive got of it. Haven't seen it on ebay for ages [and i heard someone telling me it was discontinued). Otherwise it looks great.

mmh... where do you get the information that the green RR wasn't Roopes guitar?!?
A forum with lots of finnish people, and also a friend of roope.

Looks good. Well you could change that the Green Pinstripe RR was NOT roopes and that the Edwards Arrowhead is Discontinued(atleast thats the picture ive got of it. Haven't seen it on ebay for ages [and i heard someone telling me it was discontinued). Otherwise it looks great.
I know the guitar is alexi his property. Edwards is a brand i dont care about :p