The critter thread!

Tide In Mind Out

ct_thrash
Mar 5, 2002
No cats, no dogs. Just critters! (Including rodents, reptiles, birds, etc)

Post pics of your critters.

Little Henrietta (Roborovski dwarf hamster) is all I have right now, but in many months I hope to get a hairless rat or two :)

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

I <3 <3 RATS!!!
They are so underrated and make the best pets EVER among critters.

Speaking of... How do you like your dwarf hamster Cara?
I had a lot of experience with those, and for the most part those guys are mean :lol:
They are adorable though!

I <3 <3 RATS!!!
They are so underrated and make the best pets EVER among critters.

Speaking of... How do you like your dwarf hamster Cara?
I had a lot of experience with those, and for the most part those guys are mean :lol:
They are adorable though!

I <3 my little Henrietta! Maybe I got a strange one because she's not mean at all! She won't let me hold her unless she's in her ball, but that's okay. From what I've read, robos are naturally very skittish and very hard to tame, so I'm not going to put her under that stress just so she'll sit in my hand. She's never bitten when I've touched her though. She'll hop right into her ball if I set it down in the cage, and she really seems to enjoy being held in her ball. And she'll roll up to us and run into us :)

She's really quiet, and not even much of a chewer. In the mornings it's obvious she had fun during the night because there will be "mountains" of bedding that she's made, and her tunnels will be moved around. Aww:)

Maybe they are just mean in groups? I've read conflicting things about robo hamsters. Some say they do well in groups, some say they're better off alone. I took Samantha's advice and got only one. She had two and they always fought and misbehaved. Henrietta seems perfectly happy all by her self.

Well, I literally had a 'zoo' here at some point. I had every critter known to men and that is in the hobby at my house.
Most of them were 'rescue' (crippled, blind, etc)

Here are some:

This is my baby Nigel: my 3-legged bearded dragon, he is about 5 years old, I had him since he was about 3 months old. <3 <3

nigel_bath_1.JPG

This is Casper: he is blind in one eye and the other eye had a serious infection due to neglect. He was rescued by me, and I had him for about a year. Now my best friend has him and he is SOOO HAPPY and healthy :) (still 80% blind)

look at him playing with Shrike's viking-chicken! awww :)

img.JPG

My Ameava lizzy - Luna. She had a similar story to what happened to Nigel, but luckily she didn't lose her leg. She died about 2 years ago :(

Ameava1.JPG

Ameava2.JPG

Sugar - (I did not name her) was also rescued from Petco, after she was supposed to be euthanize due to a sever infection in her kidney and she was REALLY aggressive towards anyone... My awesome exotic-pet vet saved her, and as you can see, aggression is a matter of point of view ...
I gave her to my best friend's mom (the one who has the ferret) after her birdie died. Sugar is super happy now in a huge room of her own.

birdie_1.jpg

ok, I wont bore you with more 'aww' stories, but last pic i'll post is my awesome fire-belly newts!

Newt2.JPG

The end.

I <3 my little Henrietta! Maybe I got a strange one because she's not mean at all! She won't let me hold her unless she's in her ball, but that's okay. From what I've read, robos are naturally very skittish and very hard to tame, so I'm not going to put her under that stress just so she'll sit in my hand. She's never bitten when I've touched her though. She'll hop right into her ball if I set it down in the cage, and she really seems to enjoy being held in her ball. And she'll roll up to us and run into us :)

She's really quiet, and not even much of a chewer. In the mornings it's obvious she had fun during the night because there will be "mountains" of bedding that she's made, and her tunnels will be moved around. Aww:)

Maybe they are just mean in groups? I've read conflicting things about robo hamsters. Some say they do well in groups, some say they're better off alone. I took Samantha's advice and got only one. She had two and they always fought and misbehaved. Henrietta seems perfectly happy all by her self.

Good, you definitely got a 'quiet' one, you're lucky!
I've had them before as part of a group and alone and to each case is own, most of them (not all) were kinda mean, but I hate to use the word 'mean' because it's subjective, and skittish maybe a proper term...

I agree with you about not putting her under stress just to be able to 'hold' her. Good for you! If she is happy and enjoying her ball, that is all to it :)

Aww @ all of those. Is that a recent pic of Nigel or is he bigger now? They're so cute when they're tiny. And cute when they're big. But, you know, really cute when they're tiny :p

Nice rescue stories, Karen :)

Just about all of our cats are rescues, and one is "wild" but not, not at all. That's a different thread though!

Good, you definitely got a 'quiet' one, you're lucky!
I've had them before as part of a group and alone and to each case is own, most of them (not all) were kinda mean, but I hate to use the word 'mean' because it's subjective, and skittish maybe a proper term...

I agree with you about not putting her under stress just to be able to 'hold' her. Good for you! If she is happy and enjoying her ball, that is all to it :)

Yeah, being able to hold her is not a big deal; she's happy the way things are and it would just be selfish of me to try and tame her now. If I want to hold something, there are plenty of cats. And hopefully rats in the future :p

I'm glad I got her; as you can see in the closeup pic, it looks like part of her right ear was bitten off. Could have happened simply during play, or maybe she was bullied by her cagemates at Petco :(

Thanks Cara! :)

Yeah the beardies are adorable when they are tiny! I remember Nigel being to small... size of my ring-finger..
This is him when he was about 5-6 months:

tiny_nigel2.jpg

This is him recently for comparison: and yeah, the one in the sink is what his size is now, they don't get any bigger past 1-2 years old.
Nigel <3

mir_nigel1_1.jpg

Yeah, being able to hold her is not a big deal; she's happy the way things are and it would just be selfish of me to try and tame her now. If I want to hold something, there are plenty of cats. And hopefully rats in the future :p

I'm glad I got her; as you can see in the closeup pic, it looks like part of her right ear was bitten off. Could have happened simply during play, or maybe she was bullied by her cagemates at Petco :(

hairless rats <3 <3

So when will you get them? and what made you think of those in the first place? Not many people are drawn to rats, let alone hairless :)
They are awesome!

Yeah... my first guess will be an older bite when she was tiny from her cage-mates at petco... it's common. but she looks happy :)

Not for a while. Not til I'm working again consistently. Or if I get a nice amount of financial aid in the fall, then maybe then. Doesn't take much to maintain a hamster habitat, but a rat, especially a hairless one, will require more in the way of food and fancy soft bedding. So, I don't want to get one (or probably two) unless I can really afford the upkeep.

I saw one at Petsmart and thought it was so adorable. Then came home and did some research, watched some Youtube videos, and it was decided. Hairless rats are for me :p