The death of CD's

SymphonyXV

Mar 9, 2010
Albany, NY
So how many of you guys still buy CD's? I have always loved CD's and I hope that I will be able to buy them for the rest of my life but there are so many people who just want to destroy the format entirely. It kind of makes me depressed knowing that it is likely that in my lifetime, CD's will become completely extinct and the only way you will be able to get your music is from mp3 files.

I buy Cd's all the time. It takes all the fun away from music hunting when you just sit on your ass in front of a computer all day. I don't want to have to be a siamese twin with my computer to have to buy some music. It really makes me sick some people are such cheap wads when it comes to music and are helping the record stores close. I was at BEST BUY the other day and they told me they will soon quit selling cd's. MP3 players are going to take over, but they still sell vinyl so who knows whats going to happen.

Vinyl is the truly lasting physical media, at least for the foreseeable future. No memory-diamond yet.

I think it's like that because while a CD is easily knocked-off with ANY computer and a $0.50 disc if you've got 5 minutes to wait, vinyl can't be reproduced readily. You need a much more complicated, much more expensive piece of equipment to press.

I have the same gripe, to a higher degree, with mp3s. They're great for portability and I definitely love my PMP. But, I refuse to view them as a legitimate purchase of audio recordings. They can be replicated even more easily and quickly than CDs, are worth even less (nothing, in fact) in resale value. They exist in the virtual world. For me, buying mp3s is like buying a +2 Sword of Awesome Tunes with real money.

I scour the internet and local record shops for used CDs, 90% of which have been re-releases from the 70's recently. I'm not down with the sentimental attachment people have to physical media, though. I just want music at a good quality - I won't lose sleep if CDs stop being made. Don't even have a vinyl player yet, though it's possible I might have to get one to enjoy some pre-80's music not re-released on another medium.

The only clear advantage vinyl has for me is the large artwork and liner notes. Though even digital releases are starting to include that sort of thing now. Just roll with it, I say.

I buy whatever I feel like buying at the time. ;)

But, mostly MP3s since they're very convenient. Especially during work...

I am looking to push my old cassette tapes to MP3, but can't seem to find my old Walkman, nor find a cheap one at the store. Curses!

I just want music at a good quality

This ^

I don't want vinyls to go extinct though, there's this thing about owning a vinyl of an album that means something to you. I also (for example) don't see myself giving mp3's or a even a cd sometimes as a gift to a loved one; a vinyl however makes an excellent gift.

I still buy cds, and will only buy cds as long as the option is available.
I remember all the people bitching about the cd format when it came out.
Funny how things have changed, or have they really?

I still buy CDs. I hate compressed music and the losses you get with it.

If people resold music in FLAC format I would have no problem with buying it, but I refuse to pay money for any compressed format, regardless of how lossless they claim it to be.

I then rip my CDs to WAV files for use on a portable hard drive in my car. That way I can have all my music, CD quality and just the turn of a dial away :) Considering these days I only really have time to listen to music driving to and from work quality is of utmost importance to me since there is so much road noise to contend with in the car.

I download new albums, try them i my car for a couple of days.
when i like it, i buy the Album(CD/Vinyl)

I buy crap loads of CDs.. I do rip them onto my computer.. BUT, I always buy the CD knowing that it will support the band. I don't want music to die...

My biggest problem with itunes is that if you lose your songs, that's it. You can't get them back from itunes. Say your computer crashed and you lost everything, itunes won't help you. I am finally starting to accept the fact that CD's are basically dead so I'm going to buy some USB drives to back all my stuff on. I was browsing itunes today and found at least 20 prog bands that I had never heard of. I bought an album from one of them and I am very impressed.

I listen to most of my music in mp3 format to be honest (mp3 player and PC, have a decent sound system on my pc as well as headphones). I buy the CD's of my favourite artists, which makes for a couple every month but honestly mostly listen to them only in the car. Lossless formats are cool but not really useful for mp3 players because of the space it takes and I'm fine with 320kbs mp3 audio quality.

I only want cd ,sometimes happens to download in mp3 but if I like it
i buy it ,in Italy there are many shops of used cd and vinil and I've got a great
collection.I will never buy a cd in digital format,I want booklet,lyrics eccc....
What if I would get "Paradise lost" ,"V" or"DWOT" bought on itunes ? The same is for any prog or prog metal band,audio cd is the best way to listen with a
proper audio system,not the surround one,I mean stereo amplifier and cd player

I buy heaps of Cds and try to buy most from the band. Cds will still be around for a while yet. If you think about it, they're still selling Video recorders so I an sure Cd players will live long after i'm gone.

I buy a lot of CDs. Its the only way to get bit-for-bit copies. I listen to all my music in FLAC. Provided in the future I can buy things directly in FLAC or some lossless format, I'm fine.

Mp3's are convenient but with storage so cheap, I don't see why anyone would use Mp3s? If you are using AAC or any other proprietary format, you really are going to be an unhappy camper down the road.