The Decade In Review

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
Okay, so basically let's summarize what happened in metal in the last 10 years. Major events, trends, deaths, landmark albums, etc.

I'll get the ball rolling...

The fall of nu metal. Thank god that one is gone...

The rise of deathcore. How long will it last?

The proliferation of bedroom black metal. I see this as one of the most damaging trends of the last decade, as this stuff is legitimately true metal and is harder to identify and isolate and ignore. Unfortunately, this also extends into other genres as well. The ready availability of shitty recording equipment has resulted in a lot of half-baked releases across the board. This is unambiguously negative, and unfortunately I'd say partial responsibility goes to metal's move onto the internet.

Slam death really expanding into a genre. This one is questionable, and I will defer to the opinions of others with greater knowledge, but this decade has definitely seen a major expansion in slam and brutal death.

The onslaught of Jollyfolk and keyboard-based melodic death metal. Although these are two different styles, they have more or less the same fan base and are equally horrid and gay, so I thought I'd clump them together.

The creation of melodic alternative metal. This is my own term, but if you guys use it (and you should) it can become a legitimate genre. Anyhow, I'm referring to the recent works of Soilwork and In Flames and such. Stuff that no longer can be called melodic death metal, since all the death metal is completely gone, doesn't fit into the metalcore genre however much the haters would like to pretend it does, and can't be called plain old melodic metal or melodic extreme metal because both of those refer to other things. I think it's a good term, and I also like the subgenre. But whatever.

The continued failure of Motorhead to realize they're old and stop rocking so fucking hard.

Major events:
I really can't think of any. I guess the release of Varg might count.

Deaths:
Help me out with this.
Dimebag Darrel
Chuck Schuldiner
Quorthon

Landmark albums:
I guess this will be a lot easier in 20 years. Anyhow, can't think of any right now.

1.The fall of nu metal. Thank god that one is gone...

2.The rise of deathcore. How long will it last?

3.The proliferation of bedroom black metal. I see this as one of the most damaging trends of the last decade, as this stuff is legitimately true metal and is harder to identify and isolate and ignore. Unfortunately, this also extends into other genres as well. The ready availability of shitty recording equipment has resulted in a lot of half-baked releases across the board. This is unambiguously negative, and unfortunately I'd say partial responsibility goes to metal's move onto the internet.

4.Slam death really expanding into a genre. This one is questionable, and I will defer to the opinions of others with greater knowledge, but this decade has definitely seen a major expansion in slam and brutal death.

5.The onslaught of Jollyfolk and keyboard-based melodic death metal. Although these are two different styles, they have more or less the same fan base and are equally horrid and gay, so I thought I'd clump them together.

6.The creation of melodic alternative metal. This is my own term, but if you guys use it (and you should) it can become a legitimate genre. Anyhow, I'm referring to the recent works of Soilwork and In Flames and such. Stuff that no longer can be called melodic death metal, since all the death metal is completely gone, doesn't fit into the metalcore genre however much the haters would like to pretend it does, and can't be called plain old melodic metal or melodic extreme metal because both of those refer to other things. I think it's a good term, and I also like the subgenre. But whatever.

7.The continued failure of Motorhead to realize they're old and stop rocking so fucking hard.

1. Well, most of it. Mudvayne just released a new album some days ago. It might have fallen, but not dead.

2. Bands in the genre starts to "get out of it" even now, so it will die fast. Give it another year.

3. Agree.

4. Not a fan, not gotten into a single band in that category yet.

5. Strongly disagree, if you are aiming at amazing bands like Eluveitie (Jollyfolk?) and Tracedawn (keyboard-based).

6. Could not agree more there, but it looks like some other bands are possibly taking that spot. An even more commercial metal, which goes under the name "pop" metal (which is also a genre on its own in the glam category), but this is its melodic and very alternative. *More down under.

7. There are tons of more old bands like Motorhead that should just throw in the flag now. Metallica, Slayer and Iron Maiden to name a few.

Other things to add for the future?

It looks like there will be a new big scene soon, im thinking about the industrial\progressive scene. With bands like Sybreed, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, Tesseract, Chimp Spanner, Bulb, Cloudcicker, Vildhjarta there will be exciting to see whats next. Will Shagrath make black metal even more commercial with "Ov Hell"? Will "The Kovernant-Aria Galactica" and "Wintersun-Time" ever be released?

The new Swedish scene NWOSSM (New Wave of Swedish Sleaze Metal) which is very interesting for me beeing a fan of glam\sleaze rock\metal. With awsome bands like Hardcore Superstar, Crashdiet, Sister, Crazy Lixx. So bring back the fucking glam...

*And, there is also a very commercial "pop" metal genre which has started to evolve in Sweden now. Wich is beeing putted in the "melodic alternative metal" genre like "WeAreInFlames" talked about, but I would not compare them to bands like In Flames or Soilwork at all. With bands like, Dead By April, Mindscape and Timecry (strongly influenced by electronica\digital sound)

To give an example on this:

But with all these genres, im getting a bit tired...and I guess its nothing more to add. The death\thrash\black\doom\other scenes will for most parts stay just the way they are...but maybe some new "genres" will evolve there too.

Horns up for the future!

Last edited by a moderator:
Deathcore is already fading.

"Modern Metal" Mnemic, Sybreed, Threat Signal...All influenced by Meshuggah/Fear Factory and these 2 are pretty much part of this scene sounding better than ever.

For Nu Metal... I'll say it again and again... Disturbed

Don't forget Soulfly too. I guess theres nothing else to talk about. Maybe Korn's s/t?

Yea I like all of Soulfly's work. I use to be sorta into RATM, for the moment I haven't really cared about listening to them since I've been checking out other stuff and what not.

I wasn't into conquer as much as Dark Ages.

What about Metallica's semi comeback, It isn't a classic album but It had my attention and enjoyed it for most of 2008, not to mention them touring again and with better bands then what they usually take out in the '00s. The only real problem I have with DM was Hetfield's vocals.

I'm loving the slam explosion. This year alone... so many bands have released material... good, solid material... The new bands... the vets of the genre... it's all good stuff.

The genre is thriving, musically and fan-wise... it seems like it's here to stay, for a while, at least.

@ArneZ: I didn't mean to editorialize so much, I was just outlining the trends I saw.

One I forgot to mention is the thrash revival movement. Most of the big old thrash bands (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Kreator, Sodom, Testament, etc) have recently attempted "return-to-form" albums, with varying degrees of success. Also, there are loads of new bands attempting to thrash like it's 1986, again with varying degrees of success. True, there were always bands that kept true thrash alive, but I think there's a definite resurgence in the last decade or so after what happened in the early 90s.

Johan Halberg from Utumno commited suicide this decade too

The death of Mike Baker from shadow gallery, 2008

the rise of forest metal

anyone going to name some landmark albums? I'll come up with a list later I have to think about it....

Meaning no offense or belittlement to the deceased, by deaths I meant deaths of members of bands who were actually influential and famous.

shadow gallery's 1992 debut, along with dream theater's, was a defining moment in the genre of progressive metal.

so, and I mean no offense by this, shut up.

Along with the rise in Bedroom Black Metal and the so called "Forest Black Metal" there has also been a major rise in recent years of self proclaimed "Orthodox" Black metal bands who sing their praises to Satan not as a metaphor but as a very real metaphysical entity. A lot of these bands coming from Sweden and the recently highly prolific French Black Metal scene.

One of the most significant trends I see:

Bands who draw enormously on extreme metal but incorporating it in a way which is not really metal. Acoustic/mellow albums by metal bands is one example of this (ie Opeth's Damnation, Agalloch's folk stuff) but this isn't really what I'm focusing on since we're not really seeing too much metal in the style - those albums could have been written by people who'd never listened to metal. What I'm really referring to is the post-metal type sound (for lack of a better word) - Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain, maudlin of the well, the post-rock/metal crew like Isis, Mono, Pelican etc.