The Decade In Review

One of the most significant trends I see:

Bands who draw enormously on extreme metal but incorporating it in a way which is not really metal. Acoustic/mellow albums by metal bands is one example of this (ie Opeth's Damnation, Agalloch's folk stuff) but this isn't really what I'm focusing on since we're not really seeing too much metal in the style - those albums could have been written by people who'd never listened to metal. What I'm really referring to is the post-metal type sound (for lack of a better word) - Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain, maudlin of the well, the post-rock/metal crew like Isis, Mono, Pelican etc.

Yeah, I see this.

Um, my suggestion was still relevant then.

So was mine tbh.
Yeah, they were.

@Xorv: I've never fucking heard of Shadow Gallery but I'm listening to the first song off the debut and it's pretty homosexually-inclined so no.

Listening to an album because of internet rage, of course you're not going to like it.

edit - the whole of prog metal is usually homosexually inclined tho. even tho we all know it's called, CHEESE.

If we were to guess at what the most important and influential releases of the decade will be, I think these would be a good starting point:

Blut Aus Nord: The Work Which Transforms God
Primordial: The Gathering Wilderness
Negura Bunget: Om / 'N Crugu Bradului
Agalloch: The Mantle / Ashes Against the Grain
Deathspell Omega: Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice / Fas
Alcest: Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
Wormed: Planisphaerium
maybe a Xasthur album? I don't think they're that great, but depressive BM has been a massive trend this decade and I don't know who would be more influential than them.
The real emergence of modern blackened death would probably be embodied by something like Arghoslent's Incorrigible Bigotry

I would be interested to see what others would add to this list.

Except Pale Folklore was released in 1999, and its style is pretty similar to The Mantle, which was the album that really broke for Agalloch. I think Ashes Against the Grain is more original than Pale Folklore anyway. Pale Folklore drew quite heavily on Ulver's Bergtatt, whereas Ashes is basically a whole new creature.

i wish i had enough money to buy all the albums I want so I could make a legit contribution to this thread. However, concerning the original post regarding deathcore, I noticed a huge rise in it even in my high school where metal was not especially popular. Kids who listen to like fucking Hollywood Undead and that bullshit were all for Job for A cowboy etc, all that bullshit. Deathcore while in my opinion a bastardized shit genre, did have a rapid rise in popularity and though perhaps already declining, I think it will continue to influence future bands who are poorly versed in metal and just want to make something they think is heavy. People in my school thought that shit was legit and how death metal was supposed to sound. No, you cant listen to one moderately heavy form of metal and think its death metal, that was one of the biggest things that pissed me off about deathcore, people were fucking retarded about it.

As far as bedroom black metal goes, I plan on joining that crowd once I'm a bit better at guitar, I just have an urge to make music, pay patronage to my metal idols, and perhaps contribute to the genre, however slightly. If I get on some small label, so be it, I just want to make metal, however unoriginal.
Somebody mentioned blackened death metal, I know Vitals Remains gets a lot of hate on this forum sometimes when mentioned, I recall V5 I think saying how they were just a band who overused blasts or something, but in my opinion they do the Blackened death really well. I love how they combine the black, the death, the melody and the acoustic parts. And on Dawn of the Apocalypse especially, (one of my favorite albums) I think they have pure, solid riffs all the way through, no matter how repetitive they are, and that vocalist nobody knows anything about is superb, one of my favorite performances. Fuck people who don't like long songs, its more time to enjoy the badassness.

Concerning prog, I love it but I dont have a lot of it other than Opeth. Most people here don't like Opeth, I dont give a shit. Its been mentioned by some that individual parts are badass but dont flow well together, I somewhat agree but I love almost every song no matter how bad the flow is, I consider them geniuses, I dont care what the fuck you say. The vocals are always top notch which I am always into. I know a lot of the rhythms are repetitive from song to song, who cares it sounds good. Thats the end of my contribution, I hope you'll excuse my drunken ranting.

I fail at understanding when comments are directed at me.
Quite so. Also, if a band's album costs so much that I can't buy it, don't complain that I don't give a fuck about them.

As far as bedroom black metal goes, I plan on joining that crowd once I'm a bit better at guitar
Clearly there's a misunderstanding here. If you have a guitar, you're good enough for bedroom black metal. Practice is for poseurs who play in bands with other people and write songs that don't suck.

I guess there is a misunderstanding on my part. I want to put out relatively decent material I just don't care much as far as sound quality is concerned.

@ WAIF:
There were only three other mentions of band member's death and you said in a previous post that you weren't talking about them, so that only leaves me..

And just for clarification, I assume you have never heard Across the Horizon by Utumno? Otherwise such an irresponsible comment would not have been made

I know Vitals Remains gets a lot of hate on this forum sometimes when mentioned, I recall V5 I think saying how they were just a band who overused blasts or something, but in my opinion they do the Blackened death really well. I love how they combine the black, the death, the melody and the acoustic parts. And on Dawn of the Apocalypse especially, (one of my favorite albums) I think they have pure, solid riffs all the way through, no matter how repetitive they are, and that vocalist nobody knows anything about is superb, one of my favorite performances. Fuck people who don't like long songs, its more time to enjoy the badassness.

Concerning prog, I love it but I dont have a lot of it other than Opeth. Most people here don't like Opeth, I dont give a shit. Its been mentioned by some that individual parts are badass but dont flow well together, I somewhat agree but I love almost every song no matter how bad the flow is, I consider them geniuses, I dont care what the fuck you say. The vocals are always top notch which I am always into. I know a lot of the rhythms are repetitive from song to song, who cares it sounds good. Thats the end of my contribution, I hope you'll excuse my drunken ranting.

Agree regarding Vital Remains & Opeth - both bands kick ass.

Utumno rule the universe. Across the Horizon gets me wet.

If we were to guess at what the most important and influential releases of the decade will be, I think these would be a good starting point:

Blut Aus Nord: The Work Which Transforms God
Deathspell Omega: Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Wormed: Planisphaerium

I would be interested to see what others would add to this list.

To these I would add:

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Darkspace - Dark Space I (I think III is better but it's too soon)
Celtic Frost - Monotheist

Celtic Frost - Monotheist

Celtic frost has made like two of the most influential recordings in metal (Morbid Tales / Return + To Mega Therion) and then almost twenty years later they showed they can still put perfect album out and play unforgettable shows. Monotheist is just so great - :worship: