The dirty mixes appreciation topic

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
I figure since this forum is usually based around making stuff sound good, I'd post a topic about people's favourite DIRTY mixes.

Since I am on a scott burns production binge right now i am gonna kick things off with

Last edited by a moderator:
Jane Doe by Converge (you knew I was gonna say that though :p)
THE PEAK of dirty mixes. It's one of those rare dirty mixes that really sounds amazing to my ears. It just fits the music so damn well too

How did I forget to post this one?
\m/
GORGEOUS

Gareth, were you even born when effigy came out?
Because I can assure you that the production was considered to be top notch back then.
Nowaday, it's obviously dated but I think It's still fairly clean.
It was just the standard early american death metal sound.

one of my native bands from Ireland, produced by Miezko from Nasum (R.I.P.), Abaddon Incarnate. Dirty death/grind

Gareth, were you even born when effigy came out?
Because I can assure you that the production was considered to be top notch back then.
Nowaday, it's obviously dated but I think It's still fairly clean.
It was just the standard early american death metal sound.

indeed i was. and i consider it top notch, it just sounds nice and dirty is all. smooth, but dirty. it's hardly an insult, a compliment if anything

It's all good dude, I didn't take it as an insult (even less personally lol), but to me, it always seemed that the american side of death metal production was the cleaner more polished one compared to the scandinavian scene.
When I think "dirty", I think about Dismember, Grave, Entombed... etc

I really dig "The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw" by Pelican too.
It's got a production that definitely wouldn't suit super tight, tech-y metal.
A bit sludgy and somewhat subdued in the highs

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbOlJyYB8-k&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbOlJyYB8-k&feature=related[/ame]

Here it is a dirty mix and as a bonus she have also a dirty lyric:kickass:

I'm sure some will scoff at me considering this "dirty", but I guess it just shows where my tastes lie production-wise :D Regardless though, I fucking love it, the guitars are so "ripping" (for lack of a better word, I just feel like I can hear them tearing the speakers to shreds), and the singer has so much power and emotion in his voice, big fan :headbang: (and this version conveniently has the long fade-in intro cut out)