The doom metal thread

I'm more into stoner/metal doom stuff.

But this band is awesome, I love the production on their last album.

This is the first part of their last album, the album is like a massive song divided on 2 parts, so...first part is 51 minutes.

This one is from an older album, but a great one too, sounds massive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Marcus

I have loved this Paradise Lost song for nearly 20 years now. The first time I heard it was on a compilation of songs. Still fantastic, particularly at 3:25 and of course the female vocals.

BUT, it is only a shadow of this (compare it to the Studio version):

3:50 Ironbird into 5150 into Marshall. :headbang: Not much more Metal than that.

That is a vocalist that can STILL carry it off LIVE!

BEST DOOM SONG EVER!!! IMHO of course. :D

Thanks for reminding me of this. ;)

Not a fan of doom metal but I find this bands awesome. This was in time that I was searching for all kinds of metal.

The last band it´s not quite doom but it´s one of the best bands from my country along with Moonspell.

Although technically drone, it's still pretty related IMO. One of the most impressive live acts I've seen so far, too.

Personally I'm more into the sludgy side of things, post-metal too, than proper doom. Still dig it though.

Since I already ventured into just doom influenced stuff, I'd recommend checking these out as well:

Also, shameless self promotion? Shameless self promotion! I recorded, mixed and mastered this small 2 song live EP with this band. We're recording a full length right now, which hopefully will get released early next year.

Also, shameless self promotion? Shameless self promotion! I recorded, mixed and mastered this small 2 song live EP with this band. We're recording a full length right now, which hopefully will get released early next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6pEutFdZ6Q

Very nice! I liked the harmonies between the guitar and the bass and the vibe from the drums was also good.
What dragged my soul down the most was the coffee-demonstration though. That was some grim shit right there. The overflowing blackness was very symbolic.

Just had a quick skim through so sorry if it's been mentioned, but this is one of my favourite albums ever

My favorite Candlemass record that doesn't even have Messiah on it

I know this thread is a bit older and seemed to have run it's course, but I was in a doom mood last evening and dug deep into my collection and pulled out an oldie but a goody - 1984's Psalm 9 by Trouble, followed by their next release 1985's The Skull. I originally had both on vinyl, but bought CD copies when they were remastered/re-released in 2006.

Great traditional doom (also probably the first band branded "white metal" by Metal Blade Records marketing) that stands tall among those mid-80's doom releases that took heavy influence from early Black Sabbath, band's like Candlemass, St. Vitus, Pentagram, and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0RXSkh2JI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSgLiybg9C8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cu_AGuSfMU

Dooming out today. Listened to some Mindrot, a great older band I'd forgotten about.

The singer is terrible but the music is good

you can totally hear the same drum sample for the snare that Mags used on My Dying Bride's Turn Loose The Swans.

I have to point out the awesomeness of Swallow the Sun's latest:

This song is hauntingly beautiful, and when the heavy part comes in it's like the whole fucking world is crumbling down, plus the video really adds to the tension

On a different note, I somehow missed the masterpiece that was the "new" October Tide's "A Thin Shell" in 2010, I only bought it recently cause I saw it on Candlelight's bandcamp page while I was buying the new Daylight Dies. This album is beyond good, it feels like Fred has these songs hidden since 1995, and the couple of tracks they've released of the new one coming out in March sound just as good. Marcus (I know it's an old post, but anyone really), if you never heard of them, October Tide was a band that Jonas worked on when Katatonia temporarily disbanded after their first album Dance of December Souls (excellent album but terrible production), it was originally just Jonas doing drums and vocals and Fred (who later joined Katatonia when they reformed for for Brave Murder Day and continued with them until 2009) doing guitars and bass, on their second album Jonas had quit growling and they had another guy do the vocals. In 2009 when Fred and his brother left Katatonia, he took the brilliant decision to reform October Tide with a completely new lineup and made a new album. If you like Jonas' growling, check out their first album, Rain Without End, the production IMO is better than BMD or DoDS, specially the 2006 remastered version. (btw Jonas didn't growl on BMD either, that was Mikael from Opeth)

And check out my favorite track from 2010's A Thin Shell, the production is top notch and so is the songwriting and performances, the singer is one of the best I've heard in the genre, in fact the album is one of the best in the genre IMO

Some more stuff, 2009's "For Lies I Sire" by My Dying Bride was their best in a long time, and I'm a huge fan of all their albums

Others already mentioned Saturnus, Daylight Dies, Paradise Lost, Mar de Grises, Shape of Despair.

So I'm gonna go ahead with the "shameless self promotion" habit that seems to happen in this thread and post my band's full album, greatly influenced by the bands I mention in this post:

Awesome thread to bring back, all i have been listening to recently in doom is Slomatics this local band, who have tracked with us three times now, this one is just out,

and this ones from the album in 2012 on burning world/head of crom