Recommended doom metal albums?

Originally posted by npearce

St. Vitus, I hate to admit this, but I don't own any Solitude Aeturnus. Could you describe them a little.

Solitude Aeturnus is one of my favorite bands ever. They play classic doom metal. One of the most notable features of Solitude Aeturnus is the amazing vocals of Robert Lowe (no, not Rob Lowe). His singing, especially on the first two albums - Into the Depths of Sorrow and Beyond the Crimson Horizon - are very powerful and completely soar, and in my opinion, put him near the ranks of Dio, Dickinson, and Tate. The music on the first two albums can best be described as progressive doom - longer, more complex songs, a focus on musicianship (GREAT solos, if you're into that). I don't know if Solitude Aeturnus is a Christian band or not, nor do I particularly care, but some of the lyrics on the first two albums seem somewhat biblically derived, although not preachy at all. Their next two, Through the Darkest Hour and Downfall, while still good, feature a more angry vocal approach by Lowe and a loss of the progressive leanings of earlier albums, leaving a more simplistic songwriting style. Most recently is Adagio, with a return to the smoother vocals and a more somber set of songs (not to mention an awesome cover of "Heaven and Hell"). Good luck finding the first two albums, they're long out of print.
BTW, do you like Khanate? They seem right up your alley.

I haven't heard anything by them, but they're on my check-out list for sure due to all the great things I've heard about them.

NP: Katatonia - 12

I think Black Sabbath are the forefathers of doom (I mean, the song Black Sabbath is the definition of what doom is). So check out their first six classic albums:
Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master Of Reality
Vol 4
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage

+ Heaven and Hell with Dio on vocals

Solitude Aeturnus most definitely "Through The Darkest Hour" and "Downfall". I've even heard Solitude talk bad about "Downfall" but I absolutely love the cd. The songs 'Concern' and 'Chapel of Burning' being me faves.

Check out Candlemass' "From the 13th Sun". Oh so doomy and Black Sabbathy.

Most of teh good stuff has been mentioned (on this page anyway, i didn't read the whole thread as its really old)

i would add Evoken: quietus(fav) and embrace the emptiness.
all Skepticism (fav)
funeral: tragedies.
all Unholy, esp gracefallen and the second ring of power
Shape of despair (fav)
Dolorain: i prefer when all the laughter is gone, but the self titled is good too.
these are mostly funeral doom bands, as oposed to the more traditonal (candlemass) and doom/death (my dying bride. all is good though.

My dying bride is one of my favorite bands.

St. Vitus hit most of the rest...I'd add icon to the paradise lost list, and as the flower withers and the dreadful hours tot he my dying bride list. also, everything from novembers doom is good, though the knowing and the newest one being the best.
also,add the karelian isthmus to the amorphis list (though i love all their albums, the first two are the doomiest).
He listed morigion, but i can't stress enough how amazing solinari is. mandatory.

I would add primordial too, esp spirit the earth aflame.

High on Fire is a good band, though they are more in the stoner/doom field. a bit darker than a lot of those bands thogh.

i dont recommend khanate. can't stand em.
warhorse is cool, as is electric wizard (definatley not slow doom, evoken, funeral, skepticism own that title), though not my favorite shit.

of course you must own candlemass epicus...and you must get cathedral forest of equilibrium. that be some slow shit.

Insanity reigns supreme is good doomdeath though not very original. talented band. in 10 years they've released one album :)

Dusk is another favorite of mine, they recently issued both their eps on one cd. track it down if you can.
i've not see Disembowelment listed. mandatory.

Im gonna stop there. sorry if i repeated anythign....and this was totally as i thought of it, thats why its a messy post.

I'm not a big fan of doom stuff, but My Dying Bride's "Like gods of the sun" is recommendable. It's the only album I have by them. If you're into gothic/doom stuff I can recommend Theatre Of Tragedy's "S/T", "Velvet Darkness they fear", The 3rd and the Mortal's "Tears laid in earth" and Type O Negative's latest three albums: "Bloody kisses", "October rust" & "World coming down". The Type O records are all in my top 10 all-time fave!!!!!!!

true, i also had kind of thoughs times distinguishing them.

Goth music – lyrics are very dark and sorrowed (as with Doom) but they use mainly organs and other electronic instruments and sounds, also it’s highly influenced by pop music, their roots are from pop.

Doom - beautiful... :)