Your Fave Doom Metal Bands

Terrorizer gives good rating to anything "different" sounding or original sounding. It could be total crap, but if it's different, it gets a high score. I learned long ago not to trust Terrorizer. Unrestrained know what they are talking about

@Dreamlord: Too bad the last issue of 'Unrestrained' was to be their last (if I'm thinking of the proper mag). It was an explanation in the op-ed piece in the beginning. Agreed though, that it was a quality metal mag.

Nothing comes close to BW&BK, but that's just IMHO.

-------------------------------------------------------------

As for Electric Wizard, haven't heard the new one, but I like their previous one just fine...however, I'm a bit confused about what exactly a 'doom' metal band sounds like. At first, I thought that pretty much any band who lists Sabbath as an influence (i.e. Electric Wizard, Goathorse, Abdullah, etc.) was a doom band, but then many of the modern 'suicide metallers' (i.e. Paradise Lost, Sentenced, etc.) have been referred to as doom/death bands. Is doom all this stuff? If so, there's a little known band from the Czech Republic called Love History that absolutely slays. They have (I believe) 3 releases, and anyone interested should without a doubt search out "Anastazi." It is truly a magnificent piece of music.

Just love that local Doom Metal band - Cryptic Carnage :) They live just 10 km away from here, never seen them tho :D Guess that's a testimony to my appearance during daylight?! ;) (and there are no pubs, metal pubs here.....:mad: )

MDB is pretty nice, too!

Originally posted by markgugs
@Dreamlord: Too bad the last issue of 'Unrestrained' was to be their last (if I'm thinking of the proper mag). It was an explanation in the op-ed piece in the beginning. Agreed though, that it was a quality metal mag.

-------------------------------------------------------------

As for Electric Wizard, haven't heard the new one, but I like their previous one just fine...however, I'm a bit confused about what exactly a 'doom' metal band sounds like. At first, I thought that pretty much any band who lists Sabbath as an influence (i.e. Electric Wizard, Goathorse, Abdullah, etc.) was a doom band, but then many of the modern 'suicide metallers' (i.e. Paradise Lost, Sentenced, etc.) have been referred to as doom/death bands. Is doom all this stuff? If so, there's a little known band from the Czech Republic called Love History that absolutely slays. They have (I believe) 3 releases, and anyone interested should without a doubt search out "Anastazi." It is truly a magnificent piece of music.

I was confused about the whole "what is doom" issue earlier. Russel and I talked about it on a thread a while ago (his Khanate review). Apparently everything from Opeth to Khanate can be called doom. The stuff like Anathema and Paradise Lost is obviously more melodic, while Warhorse and Electric Wizard are more sludge related. However, all bands mentioned have an atmosphere of impending DOOM. Anyway . . . that is my understanding of the classification of doom metal.

Originally posted by markgugs

Unrestrained just released their latest issue with Today is the Day on the cover. Is that the one you are talking about?

BW&BK is good, but I wish they would have some more reviews.

Originally posted by chupe666
Other than those already mentioned-
Grey Skies Fallen

I have heard OF this band, but never actually heard them. What are they like? What label?

Originally posted by Dreamlord

I have heard OF this band, but never actually heard them. What are they like? What label?
They're great. A little of everything- Rick's clean singing voice is killer, and they write some great doomy melodies. Heavy hitting drums, great soundscape keys. They do a little progressive doom and melodic metal kind of stuff as well, like In Flames mixed with Opeth. My favorite thing about the band is the memorable melodies, though.

Two albums- one called The Fate of Angels on Nightfall/Terrorizer Records, and a newer one called Tomorrow's In Doubt, released earlier this year on a Canadian label named Maelstrom Music Group. You can get the discs through their site, and they have clips on mp3.com.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/27/grey_skies_fallen.html

http://www.greyskiesfallen.com

Russell, I don't really want to get into the 'are they doom, death. black etc' debate that haunts forums like these. There are only two types of music in the world ; the music you like and the music that you don't. I think that song titles like 'Bleak', 'Under the Weeping Moon' and 'Serenity Painted Death' are pretty doomy, but ultimately I don't really care which category it fits into. I just like it!

Originally posted by Darkdruid
Russell, I don't really want to get into the 'are they doom, death. black etc' debate that haunts forums like these. There are only two types of music in the world ; the music you like and the music that you don't. I think that song titles like 'Bleak', 'Under the Weeping Moon' and 'Serenity Painted Death' are pretty doomy, but ultimately I don't really care which category it fits into. I just like it!

Thats why I don't put music into genres if I can help it in the first place :p As long as you like it thats the important thing ;)

Doom is my favorite type of metal, i like: anathema, katatonia, solitude aeturnus, some paradise lost, some my dying bride, MAUDLIN OF THE WELL, winter and candlemase is very good also.

Some dark metal bands have very good doom lyrics as At the Gates (have you noticed the banner in the upper left side of the page :headbang:), dark tranquillity, in the woods... and so on.