Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Deliverance

Votes: 29 44.6%

• Total voters

Demoke

This is the Almighty:
Oct 8, 2003
Berlin Germany
Alright guys; in the last days we've seen many polls of this kind, especially with instrumental songs and instrumentals by Opeth vs instrumentals by bands like Emperor or Metallica.

My curiosity goes now to the canonical Opeth. Once I read an interview in which Mikael was saying something like "Opeth has to play these songs in concerts"... Two questions now:

Poll: which of these tracks do you prefer?

+

Do you think these tracks should be played in the next tour? Do they show the essence of what Opeth is? Could you name 3 other tracks which show this canonical Opeth and that you think should be played in the next tour as well/instead?

For some reason I tend to like TDF more; I think it's the lyrics -make more sense to me-; the music appeals to me more, as well; however, I think that has been played live a lot and that other songs should be included in the set list, like "When," "The Funeral Portrait" and "Moonlapse Vertigo"... I don't know; these songs have surely been played but at least not in the last couple of years, as far as I know.... Thoughts?

Yeeha! first person to vote besides Demoke. I'm blessed.
I voted for TDF.
3 songs? hmm, I would say, along with TDF, The Moor and April Ethereal.
I know we've all heard TDF one billion times but you're talking canonical here. The other two were played on the last tour and they are great songs - full of energy and great to hear live. These three songs also are a good cross-section of Opeth's sound I think.

I've just heard TDF way too many times. There is really no need to continue playing live, even though it is probably one of their best known songs. They have 50-odd killer songs they can play live, TDF doesn't have to always be one of them.

Oh yeah and Deliverance fucking SLAYS!!! RAAAA!

I chose The Drapery Falls because of it's more progressive style. Three other songs that would express "Opeth's" sound would be The Moor, April Ethereal and maybe a clean one such as Face of Melinda. I think Face of Melinda shows their original acoustic sound, opposed to the tracks from Damnation which are more prog-like.

dorian gray said:
Yeeha! first person to vote besides Demoke. I'm blessed.
I voted for TDF.
3 songs? hmm, I would say, along with TDF, The Moor and April Ethereal.
I know we've all heard TDF one billion times but you're talking canonical here. The other two were played on the last tour and they are great songs - full of energy and great to hear live. These three songs also are a good cross-section of Opeth's sound I think.

I totally agree. These three songs combined define Opeth pretty well in my opinion, and I also think that they are respectively the best songs of their best three albums.

Evil Ernie said:
I totally agree. These three songs combined define Opeth pretty well in my opinion, and I also think that they are respectively the best songs of their best three albums.

The Leper Affinity > The Drapery Falls
When > April Ethereal

Yes, The Moor rules.

Godhead's lament needs to be played more (I've only heard it once). Along with that I would want to hear Moonlapse vertigo instead of Drapery and When a shitload of times.

Spydaman_69_2001 said:
I kinda grew outta The Drapery Falls. So Deliverance.

Grew ouf of TDF, thats what I was thinking for myself too.

Deliverance by far gets my vote.

I've seen TDF, Deliverance, Godheads lament and April Ethereal in the same (and so far only) Opeth gig I've been to, quite a show.
Moonlapse Vertigo and When is what I want to see, of Opeth's "canonicals" next time. And Wreath.

The Drapery Falls is probably my favourite song of all time by any band,the way the music changes and becomes more and more intense,then gets caught just as it's about to spiral out of control is unbelievable,i'll never forget the cold sweat it put me in the 1st time i heard it. :OMG:

Dhalaren said:
I chose The Drapery Falls because of it's more progressive style.

Are you nuts? I think the drapery falls next to deliverance is the far less interesting/progressive/diverse and mature song.

Both songs are wonderful, no doubt about it...but i think the drapery falls is long, but quite predictable and lacking in variance compared to deliverance which easily embodies every element opeth has used to date in some way or another, with tons of twists, and even some stuff you wouldnt think Opeth would normally do.

Interesting thread indeed :)

Here's my take on this ...

The three songs Mikael is referring to as "must have" are "Drapery Falls", "Deliverance" and "Demon of the Fall" ...

I would personnaly give a break to "Drapery Falls" and "Demon of the Fall".

I was so blasted away on the last tour by the song "Blackwater Park" that from now on, this one must be performed on every show as the last song of the set before the "encore". So "Blackwater Park" is my first "must have song".

In my opinion, "Deliverance" should be the new "closer" for Opeth shows. "Demon of the Fall" is nice but I think I had enough.

So "Deliverance" is my second "must have" song. So fucking powerful song ... I think I would walk back to my car with goose bumps.

For the third "must have", they should alternate shows by playing back to back "The Moor" and "Godhead's Lament" on one show and "April Ethereal" and "When" on the other show. This would boost up their attendance with fans driving hundreds of miles to hear both sets .... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

So those are my third "must have" songs.

Finally, I think an Opeth show is not an Opeth show if at least one song from Orchid / Morningrise era is not performed.

I would really like to see songs like "The Twilight Is My Robe" or "Black Rose Immortal" sneak in the next set list.

Cheers! :kickass:

Rahan said:
Interesting thread indeed :)

Here's my take on this ...

The three songs Mikael is referring to as "must have" are "Drapery Falls", "Deliverance" and "Demon of the Fall" ...

I would personnaly give a break to "Drapery Falls" and "Demon of the Fall".

I was so blasted away on the last tour by the song "Blackwater Park" that from now on, this one must be performed on every show as the last song of the set before the "encore". So "Blackwater Park" is my first "must have song".

In my opinion, "Deliverance" should be the new "closer" for Opeth shows. "Demon of the Fall" is nice but I think I had enough.

So "Deliverance" is my second "must have" song. So fucking powerful song ... I think I would walk back to my car with goose bumps.

For the third "must have", they should alternate shows by playing back to back "The Moor" and "Godhead's Lament" on one show and "April Ethereal" and "When" on the other show. This would boost up their attendance with fans driving hundreds of miles to hear both sets .... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

So those are my third "must have" songs.

Finally, I think an Opeth show is not an Opeth show if at least one song from Orchid / Morningrise era is not performed.

I would really like to see songs like "The Twilight Is My Robe" or "Black Rose Immortal" sneak in the next set list.

Cheers! :kickass:
This is exactly how it should be. You my friend, are a wise one. :headbang: