Should Fredrik use the slide during the lead in The Drapery Falls?

Should Fredrik use the slide during the Drapery Falls lead?

• Yes

Votes: 37 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 39.3%

• Total voters
He should use the slide and play it in tune!

Watch the vid. It is in tune. He played the notes differently in the first part of the vid, but the rest is spot on to the album minus the added flourish at the end. Peter used to cheat and not use a slide for convenience sake. I can't beleive people are bitching because Akeson isn't doing the same. That riff is one of my favorite Opeth moments.

Check 2:08
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ASwqPPNLck&feature=related[/ame]

The riff on the album version sounds smooth and produced and i find it hard to distinguisgh the use of a slide there but if mike says so then theres not going to be a more reliable source than that, i just thought the slide in a live performance was to harsh sounding and 'petes' way sounded smooth and delicate, im sure fred could do it the same way but if he fancys the slide then fair play.

well, I'm not a professional musician or something like that but I think that sometimes things that sound good on the record don't sound so good live but anyway it's all a matter of taste.

The only reason I thought of starting this thread is because I know that Mike and Fred appreciate the thoughts of the fans.
That's exactly why I love you guys!
Skål! :)

Yeah, that's something I thought about when I was watching some recent live shit from them. I thought Peter's way was better, and I'm with you - Fredrik is awesome.

I think I actually prefer the edge on the sound when slide is used. The way Peter did it was smoother, yes, but also less exciting.

And thanks to Mike for clearing it up.

Watch the vid. It is in tune. He played the notes differently in the first part of the vid, but the rest is spot on to the album minus the added flourish at the end. Peter used to cheat and not use a slide for convenience sake. I can't beleive people are bitching because Akeson isn't doing the same. That riff is one of my favorite Opeth moments.

In that case, then yes he should play it with the slide. And dude, Vivören got owned up there.

well the problem with the way they use it isn't whether or not they use the slide, but how its used.

in the album version of the song the slide and the distortion were both there...
but it was quiet, almost like a faint sound thats off in the distance.

the way they use it live, its put in the foreground, and therefore it sounds like a dying cat.

argue about that

The riff on the album version sounds smooth and produced and i find it hard to distinguisgh the use of a slide there but if mike says so then theres not going to be a more reliable source than that, i just thought the slide in a live performance was to harsh sounding and 'petes' way sounded smooth and delicate, im sure fred could do it the same way but if he fancys the slide then fair play.

Well dude, you also gotta remember that when peter played it on the album they had the power to do as many takes as they wanted to and then smooth it out using Logic. Fred's in a live environment, headbanging and throwing his guitar around and shit. If you screw up in a live show...well....shit, you live with it. I'm sure he's probably used the slide more times than in that video and made it sound just as good if not better than peter's part.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7536589 said:
Yes, we did use a slide on the actual recording. It's difficult to use so we've never used it before playing the song. I siggested to Fred to do it like we recorded it...

Cheers
Mike

FOR FUCKS SAKE LEARN TO SPELL...!!!!....Hahahahaha....jsut kiddin m8....pullin yer leg....hahahaha.......Keep rockin my hard rockin amigo..........PEAC EOUT