The End All To Auto Tune Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't care less about the use of Autotune or related software, so long as it's pretty much undetectable. I want to believe that the vocalist is indeed that good.

I guess there is a place for it as an obvious effect as well, my disdain for that is just a personal taste thing.

To be clear, Joey, I think what everyone hates on is the Cher-style "autotune as an effect" thing, which is just an artistic choice (so a person disliking it is the same as a person disliking breakdowns ( :wave: ) or pig squeals or something). To me, that's not at all autotune for the sake of it's original purpose (tuning) so of course it shouldn't be transparent; if a person doesn't like it, they should blame the band for writing it, not the producer! (I actually don't really mind it tbh)

On the other hand, if it is for the sake of tuning a performance, then of course it should be transparent, but I don't think I've seen anyone ragging you for that!

This.

I couldn't say it any better.

i dont like the fact that you use a shitton of autotune joey, but i will also realize that you basically have to, because you have to deal with vocalists that either cant sing or want the effect
so until you end up working with bigger, more talented artists, theres not much you can do
so youre excused bro

i need to stress that im pretty much excluding all "vocoder" parts

im strictly talking about using auto tune to make a normal singing part intonated with the recording

to be honest, i've only recorded like 5 parts in my entire life that were supposed to have auto tune for the "effect". im excluding attack attack because thats a part of their sound.

To be clear, Joey, I think what everyone hates on is the Cher-style "autotune as an effect" thing, which is just an artistic choice (so a person disliking it is the same as a person disliking breakdowns ( :wave: ) or pig squeals or something). To me, that's not at all autotune for the sake of it's original purpose (tuning) so of course it shouldn't be transparent; if a person doesn't like it, they should blame the band for writing it, not the producer! (I actually don't really mind it tbh)

On the other hand, if it is for the sake of tuning a performance, then of course it should be transparent, but I don't think I've seen anyone ragging you for that!

yeah but im getting ranked on for singing parts that arent cher sounding but people percieve as cher sounding? i guess? because the people are writing singing parts that dont have any movement in pitch. like a note per sylable

Shit Joey. Just do your thing and fuck what people say on the internet. Make your money, make the bands happy and make sick productions like you already do.

this

what's wrong with this forum lately?
who cares if there's click bleed or a vocal glitch or a bad edit on a CD?
nothing to get moist over.....this forum used to be about learning about production, not about finding flaws in other people's productions to feel better.

yeah but im getting ranked on for singing parts that arent cher sounding but people percieve as cher sounding? i guess? because the people are writing singing parts that dont have any movement in pitch. like a note per sylable

Hmm, never really noticed - but fuck it, only you can decide whether the autotune is too much or not, so screw what anyone else says if you think it's right!

IMO using autotune is pretty much the same as using beat detective or samples. What I really don't understand is this general attitude that these tools make good performances sound "truly pro". If I really hear autotune on a production or the drums are just too robotic, to me it sounds like the performance could have been done by anyone and then pretty much anyone could have just edited it in his bedroom studio with his little pro tools rig.

I do like Joeys latest productions and I think his productions as a whole sound very pro and "fit" the music he produces, but to me the PERFORMANCES of the artists don't necessarily sound pro at all. If you know what I mean... However, to an average listener the performances might sound "truly pro", but then again they probably wouldn't notice if the drums weren't edited 100% to grid either or if the vocals weren't 100% in tune either...

Shit Joey. Just do your thing and fuck what people say on the internet. Make your money, make the bands happy and make sick productions like you already do.

Exactly. Joey, more than likely most of the people criticizing you and your work are just "arm chair engineers" that aren't doing anything at your level...if doing anything at all. Don't pay any attention to them and just keep doing your thing.

+1 to Joey not messing with his recipe!!!

You have made a name for yourself doing what you do, don't worry what some fags complain about - keep doing what you do and laugh all the way to the bank :)

Status
Not open for further replies.