The end for The End?

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
I was looking to fill out my Nightingale collection as well as pick up a couple other albums (new Pagan's Mind, Circus Maximus, Ayreon, etc.). Everything I searched on at The End is out of stock. Is this normal, or are they about to go under? I know they were struggling a while back, but haven't heard anything lately.

BTW, any other suggestions on good online stores? Laser's Edge doesn't carry much of that stuff, nor does Impulse (at least no Nightingale).

The Answer - it's normal.

The site has been like that for a long time, since they started allowing back-orders last fall. Meaning they'll list everything on the website, allowing you to order whatever the hell you want. If it's in-stock, they'll ship. If it's Out of Stock, you wait until they re-stock the title.

You are not charged for any item until it is shipped.

Prior to this, they only listed items that they had in-stock at that particular time. Usually, you just have to keep checking to see if the title you want is in-stock.

I use iTunes now and save between 50%-70%. But in the past, TER was my primary source for music. Wish they had a digital download service.

Some of us still like CDs and the ability to actually own the music we purchase.

I'm a gatherer too. Need to be able to put my mits on stuff I buy.

Thanks for the info and the recommendations. I bought most of what I was looking for from CD Inzane. I guess I'll order the rest from The End and get it when they get it.

I will never understand how someone can be satisfied only owning a download of an album.
I mean, should bands not even bother with an image, a logo, or cover art for an album?

How can you truly get into the feeling of an album without possessing the cover art?

I understand the convenience of MP3 players, etc. They are great.
Still though, I NEED to own the actual product of the bands I love.

Not at all interested in owning digital content. I want artwork, lyrics, a CD... something to put on the shelves of my CD case. If I got rid of my CDs in favor of all digital content, what would I display in my living room... a picture of my hard drive?

Zod

Some of us still like CDs and the ability to actually own the music we purchase.

And some of us work in locations where the only way to listen to music is with a CD player and factory burned CDs.

To be honest, tho, I prefer CDs, with artwork, lyrics and uncompressed audio.

Jason

And some of us work in locations where the only way to listen to music is with a CD player and factory burned CDs.

Where do you work... RIAA headquarters!? NARC!!!! :lol: :lol:

To be honest, tho, I prefer CDs, with artwork, lyrics and uncompressed audio.

Agreed on the audio. I used to be very much in the camp of wanting to physically own something. But I have been having mixed feelings about CD's lately, simply because having about 1100 CD's is not exactly an easy thing to deal with when moving, and for me this is more of an issue than for some people, as I moved last year, and may well move again a couple more times in the next few years. And I know several people here have many more CD's than I do. The idea of having all that music in one compact, easily accessible location is certainly attractive, as is not having to haul boxes of CD's around while moving. Or having to haul several CD's with me in the car whenever I'm driving in general. But I also am not willing to accept lossy, compressed audio. Even if I'm listening to sound files, I don't like using something like mp3's, and certainly would not pay for it. If I rip my CD's for archiving, I would definitely do it in a lossless format, and I would only consider buying digital downloads that were lossless. Fortunately, hard drive space is cheap enough these days for this to be feasible. I could save my entire collection in lossless CD-quality audio in maybe 400 GB of drive space... which is not all that expensive these days, and is getting cheaper by the moment.

It's interesting... many parallels can be drawn from this discussion to the arguments people were having 20 years ago about not being interested in some lame, tiny disc, and wanting a real vinyl LP, with full packaging and full-size artwork.