The End Records - Fortune Small Business article

They need to reissue as many classic cds as possible, that's definitely easier money than finding and supporting new talent.
anyways, thanks for the article.

Speaking of the end records. Is there any band from them (other than agalloch) that is worth my time?

Heaps:

Estradasphere
Subterranean Masquerade
Antimatter
Novembers Doom
Green Carnation
Virgin Black
Age of Silence
Frantic Bleep
Crisis
Giant Squid
Head Contro System
Winds
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Interesting article, I just hope they don't start offering exclusives via digital download.

More vinyl and special editions, please.l

Some of the advice given didn't seem too great to me, but I think The End handled the suggestions well. Overall I thought they had a good thing going, but the costs of that move to New York were pretty surprising. I still think they have a solid foundation as they are one of the first places I look to when buying albums.

Thanks for the article Deron... I'm always interested in such articles since im in the process of trying to start a indie label with a partner and such... or something music related...

Metal fans are just as willing to buy a cd from 1991 as 2007. Time is pretty irrelevant, so buying up oop albums is sure to make money. That seems a better investment than new talent. Look at what Relapse has done. I'm sure they've made a killing off of the Atheist and Disembowelment rereleases. The special packages and extra content are great ways to make fans happy and make a buck. And when Relapse bands get big (Mastodon), they leave, so it's good to have all those old reissues.

^ i was really suprised by the cd buying comment. suprised in a good way though. i know i buy all my music, and alot of it comes from the end.

i think that shows that metalheads care about the scene and the music. it proves there is a tight knit community willing to pay money to keep it alive
~gR~

I don't understand why The larger corporations doesn't take notice of this lesser known record companys. Wouldn't they get more profits? I dunno how the music market is wired, but somone forgot a few plugs.

I don't understand why The larger corporations doesn't take notice of this lesser known record companys. Wouldn't they get more profits? I dunno how the music market is wired, but somone forgot a few plugs.

Alot majors do distribution for the indie labels... the majors run their own big distribution companys such as WEA, RED etc...

a lot of those bands listed are pretty worthless IMO. i liken the term Starbucks Metal to The End.

it disturbs me that The End is bringing in big time mainstream types to give advice. is this the same label that released Goat Horns?

sidenote, lose the hipster scarf thing, Andreas

a lot of those bands listed are pretty worthless IMO. i liken the term Starbucks Metal to The End.

it disturbs me that The End is bringing in big time mainstream types to give advice. is this the same label that released Goat Horns?

sidenote, lose the hipster scarf thing, Andreas

they have bills to pay and need to make a profit to survive... like he said expenses in NY are much higher then in other places... so I see nothing wrong with getting advice from business types from the mainstream as long as they do not compromise their original vision... but as far as marketing, distribution etc advice from these mainstream types i see nothing wrong like i said.... can't be troo all the time and go broke... if you do then all the indie labels will crash and burn and either A. The majors will release the bands or B. No one will release the bands and we won't hear bands we like.... for the labels whether its a big or small label it's first and foremost a business... yes they do it for the love of the music but to keep releasing albums they have to survive and that means turning a profit to do so...

they have bills to pay and need to make a profit to survive... like he said expenses in NY are much higher then in other places... so I see nothing wrong with getting advice from business types from the mainstream as long as they do not compromise their original vision... but as far as marketing, distribution etc advice from these mainstream types i see nothing wrong like i said.... can't be troo all the time and go broke... if you do then all the indie labels will crash and burn and either A. The majors will release the bands or B. No one will release the bands and we won't hear bands we like....

umm this is fucking bullshit

umm this is fucking bullshit

how is it bullshit?

lets face it. money makes the world go round. without money, music would not exist. unless we started hand making our instruments from materials we found in the wilderness again. money is inherently linked to EVERYTHING. buying the instruments, buying the recording equipment, buy the pot that amde you write the cool riffs in the first place, buying the twinkies and hot pockets required after getting baked....
~gR~