The Fathomless Mastery Reviews - What do you think about it?

nizzon

f.k.a Qth
Apr 14, 2004
Down Below
www.last.fm
So we have green light from BBMod to review and discuss this beast now.
What do you think about it?

I think its a great album, but the growls are not as crushing as on UTP, I guess its a trade-off, now we hear the guitars better.
There are some really twisted tunes on this album but some of the tracks feel a bit short and rushed.
Personally I think UTP has higher quality both musically and production-wise.

Devouring the Feeble is my fav so far.

I agree with Qth mostly. The album is pretty good but I find the tracks almost run into each other in a repetitive sort of way. UTP had solid tracks but I may need to "acquire" the taste for Fathomless Mastery still.

So far it's my 2nd least favourite Bloodbath album. I love the opening track and "Treasonous" bigtime. "Mock The Cross", "Hades Rising", "Earthrot", "Process of Disillumination" and "Iesous" are good. The rest of the tracks are pretty much a black hole to me. Essentially it's a good album, just not up to what I was expecting after the UTP. The songwriting is not as fluent to me, which could be an effect of the whole Morbid Angel angle.

2nd least?

Yeah, I think many of the songs lack heart and feel incomplete and almost unnoticeable. I don't mind the new sound overall but at times I find that the songs lack character and have no particularly outstanding qualities from one another. I guess part of me misses the RTC style Mikael fronted Bloodbath

I'd have to say that Anders did a fucking top notch job with his songs this time around, more-so impressive than previous ones. I'd really like for him to write more.

Behest, Treasonous, Hades are great and my 3 favorites.

Overall the album just seems very DIFFERENT for a Bloodbath release. I do hope that the next album goes in a different direction, more towards UTP (which is what I was expecting with this).

I have hardly listened to it and need time to fully digest everything. As Qth said, some things feel a bit rushed.

Really trying to wait till I get the real CD to give it many good listens. But right now it is my least favorite release.

Also for those who didn't know, you can PREVIEW teasers for each track at Amazon.com. Click the link below for the page with the samples on it.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/The-Fathomless-Mastery/dp/B001FMSRAC/ref=mb_oe_o[/ame]

2nd least?

Yeah, I think many of the songs lack heart and feel incomplete and almost unnoticeable. I don't mind the new sound overall but at times I find that the songs lack character and have no particularly outstanding qualities from one another. I guess part of me misses the RTC style Mikael fronted Bloodbath

Well I still like it more than NMF.

Yup, you're definitely closing in on the main issues here. Hopefully some of the tunes are growers though. It's hard to tell the exact quality so early.

Well, I seem to be the only one here to absolutely love it from the first to the last second. I had hopes/expectations after UTP, but I never could have hoped it would be this awesome.

The little that lacked on UTP is made up for on this album, an even better mix/production, Mikael's vocals are possibly even more sick and evil than on the EP, the overal quality is pulled up, the performance/playing is fantastic with a special mention for Mr. Axenrot on the drums, he absolutely annihilates.

Except for the obvious Morbid Angel influences, there are also more old-school Stockholm sounds again (Wretched Human Mirror could have been on an old Dismember album, ending melodic lead in Hades Rising).

Apart from the overwhelming power and brutality of the entire album, each song on the album has at least some riff/break/vocal line/melody that I like and look forward to when the song starts. There is not a song on the album I would even remotely consider skipping. I must say that indeed Anders' songs are standouts, but saying that is pretty much automatically an injustice towards the other songs.

I think it's amazing that these guys with their project/'fun' band that they are doing in the scarce free time that they have outside their main priority bands, produce an album of a quality that 99,9% of the dedicated Death Metal bands out there can't even dream of creating. This is without doubt and by far my favourite Bloodbath release so far.

Well, I seem to be the only one here to absolutely love it from the first to the last second. I had hopes/expectations after UTP, but I never could have hoped it would be this awesome.

The little that lacked on UTP is made up for on this album, an even better mix/production, Mikael's vocals are possibly even more sick and evil than on the EP, the overal quality is pulled up, the performance/playing is fantastic with a special mention for Mr. Axenrot on the drums, he absolutely annihilates.

Except for the obvious Morbid Angel influences, there are also more old-school Stockholm sounds again (Wretched Human Mirror could have been on an old Dismember album, ending melodic lead in Hades Rising).

Apart from the overwhelming power and brutality of the entire album, each song on the album has at least some riff/break/vocal line/melody that I like and look forward to when the song starts. There is not a song on the album I would even remotely consider skipping. I must say that indeed Anders' songs are standouts, but saying that is pretty much automatically an injustice towards the other songs.

I think it's amazing that these guys with their project/'fun' band that they are doing in the scarce free time that they have outside their main priority bands, produce an album of a quality that 99,9% of the dedicated Death Metal bands out there can't even dream of creating. This is without doubt and by far my favourite Bloodbath release so far.

I agree with you, except this is not my favourite album from them. But it's definately very good. My favourite songs so far are Sodomizers.

To me the album feels sequensed, like computer-death. Why, I don't know.

The only song that feels right to me is "Wretched Human Mirror", which is nothing short of amazing being a Breeding Death like song but with the fat energy of late bloodbath.

On top of that one there are three songs worth mentioning. Mock the Cross with the Slime-death feeling, Iesous with a slightly technical approach that actually works and on finally Earthrot, a nice little tune, even some techno-death there, haha.

These are the four songs I find interesting and worth listening to, definately better than UTP.

However, the rest of this album feels uninspired, sequensed and just plain out boring to the max. A pitty. I think it could've stood a much better chance with 4-5 Swanö songs thrown in, the dynamics between swanö/nyström/renkse material used to make every bloodbath release more interesting than most death metal bands.

Sure its on topic, but it would be nice to hear some more in depth views before we get 50 pages of oneliners from you and your adapted minions.
I hate to sound like a thread-police but its just no considence that topics get derailed after you get started. Sorry.