The Fitness Thread

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
To get these recurring conversations out of other threads and also because why the hell not, this might be a useful thread. Although I suspect it'll create more contextually generated ads from gay bodybuilding forums.

Whatever.

My fitness routine is pretty basic. Every night around 8 I jog 2 miles. I have a bench press in my attic and do probably 3 sets of 10 a day at about 90, which yes, is kind of pathetic. I also do curls, 6 sets of 10, with 20 pounders. My goal is to gain a little muscle and basically stay relatively fit and not have a heart attack.

To get these recurring conversations out of other threads and also because why the hell not, this might be a useful thread. Although I suspect it'll create more contextually generated ads from gay bodybuilding forums.

Whatever.

My fitness routine is pretty basic. Every night around 8 I jog 2 miles. I have a bench press in my attic and do probably 3 sets of 10 a day at about 90, which yes, is kind of pathetic. I also do curls, 6 sets of 10, with 20 pounders. My goal is to gain a little muscle and basically stay relatively fit and not have a heart attack.

It's not pathetic if gaining mass is not your goal. You'll just have defined muscles as opposed to ripped popping muscles. Staying relatively fit is a good idea, then you can destroy everyone at concerts HAHAHA! :kickass:

You ever trying pushing yourself on jogging? I did 6.4 miles earlier this week or last week and i felt like death, but i could have gone a few more miles.

The only way to break in a killer workout thread...

BigDave.jpg

id tell everyone my workout but I have no idea the name for half the exercises. I do about 2-3 exercises for each upper body part 3 days a week and then I do 3 sets of 15 of this ab-chair thing where I bring my legs up from a l (that position) to a L. Then I run on an elliptical(but not using the arm part), currently at lvl 11 resistance for 10 minutes. I sprint for as long as I can once I hit the mile mark.

I do a different workout each day. Today I did back and bi's. Tomorrow will probably be shoulders and legs.

It's not pathetic if gaining mass is not your goal. You'll just have defined muscles as opposed to ripped popping muscles. Staying relatively fit is a good idea, then you can destroy everyone at concerts HAHAHA! :kickass:

You ever trying pushing yourself on jogging? I did 6.4 miles earlier this week or last week and i felt like death, but i could have gone a few more miles.

My goal is to be able to do the entire 2 miles without stopping for breath. Then I plan to ramp it up. I'm hoping that next week I can eliminate one of the sections that I walk (it's only a couple blocks, but it'd be nice if I could just run all the way). The main problem is that the area all around me is a hill, so as I'm starting out I'm going downhill and then as I get tired it's uphill. But I hope to be jogging 3 miles fairly soon. My main goal with the jogging is to improve my breathing; i.e. I can run up 3 flights of stairs and not be breathing hard. In my gym class today I actually really felt the results, as when we went running I was one of two people (the other guy is on the soccer team) who wasn't dying and then we did some weight training and stuff and I benched more than the other dudes. Felt pretty good.

But yeah, concerts was a definite motivator. I like to be up front and you gotta be fit to survive up there. Family history of heart attacks in men was another motivator.

My goal is to be able to do the entire 2 miles without stopping for breath. Then I plan to ramp it up. I'm hoping that next week I can eliminate one of the sections that I walk (it's only a couple blocks, but it'd be nice if I could just run all the way). The main problem is that the area all around me is a hill, so as I'm starting out I'm going downhill and then as I get tired it's uphill. But I hope to be jogging 3 miles fairly soon. My main goal with the jogging is to improve my breathing; i.e. I can run up 3 flights of stairs and not be breathing hard. In my gym class today I actually really felt the results, as when we went running I was one of two people (the other guy is on the soccer team) who wasn't dying and then we did some weight training and stuff and I benched more than the other dudes. Felt pretty good.

But yeah, concerts was a definite motivator. I like to be up front and you gotta be fit to survive up there. Family history of heart attacks in men was another motivator.

How do you breathe because breathing is very important. Should breathe through the nose out the mouth and try to maintain the same breathing level as when you're in-active. I don't stop when i'm jogging, just a matter of mind over matter. Force your body to work through the pain. Same goes with lifting haha. The more burn the better you'll feel.

My maxes (3+ reps):

flat bench: 275
incline: 225
decline: 290
squat: 650
deadlift: 600ish
push press: 175

I also do a lot of core exercises

How do you breathe because breathing is very important. Should breathe through the nose out the mouth and try to maintain the same breathing level as when you're in-active. I don't stop when i'm jogging, just a matter of mind over matter. Force your body to work through the pain. Same goes with lifting haha. The more burn the better you'll feel.

You have to have a consistent breath pattern. I breath through my mouth most of the time. Also, music helps make shit go by a lot faster.

fair enough.
I kinda gasp like a fish flopping around in the boat. I've never been trained with regard to jogging, but I learned today that I was going about stretching completely wrong.

There's no way in hell I can maintain the same breathing levels as when I'm inactive, but yeah. Fuck it. Tomorrow I'm running the whole stretch (probably 1.5 miles).
I don't know whether to call it running or jogging, actually. It's kinda in between.

EDIT: yeah, music helps a ton, I used to run with nothing (since I had nothing) and it was a bitch, now I have music and it's awesome. Amon Amarth are particularly good. Victorious March is a fantastic jogging song (up until the solo).

Mathiäs;7602356 said:
You have to have a consistent breath pattern. I breath through my mouth most of the time. Also, music helps make shit go by a lot faster.

Yes, consistency is utmost importance, i maintain the same breath as when i'm walking and definitely blaring the ipod helps. I might try for 8-10 miles straight on Saturday. Like to push to see how far i can jog each week.

Not trying to "one-up" you Mathias or anything...

maxes:

flat bench: 375
incline: 350
decline: 395
shoulders(above head w/ dumbbells) 120's

im sure theres more but...

Not trying to "one-up" you Mathias or anything...

maxes:

flat bench: 375
incline: 350
decline: 395
shoulders(above head w/ dumbbells) 120's

im sure theres more but...

Killer incline, incline tears me up. The thing i dread most, and we don't do the top incline either.

What supplements do you all take? I drink 2-3 whey shakes a day, 2-4 tablets of 1500 mg L-Glutamine, 2 1000 mg Fish Oil pills, 1 multi-vitamin, 2 500 mg L-Lysine, 2 2,000 mg Glucosamine pills and soon will start taking Creatine. I was taking Nitrous Oxide but that just made me feel very strange.

We already had a workout thread. Let's just resurrect that and merge this one in with it.