Workout routines

My workout routine is something like this...

Day 1: Upper Body
DB Bench Press - 6-7 sets, usually something like 12 x 80lb, 10 x 100lb, 8 x 120lb, 5 x 150lb, 8 x 100lb, 80lb to failure
Pushups - As many as I can crank out in 30s, rest 30s, repeat for a total of 3 sets
Pullups/Rear Delt Flyes supersetted - 5 pullups/12 x 10lb flyes, repeat for 3 sets
DB Curls/Overhead Tricep extensions - 12 x 25lb curl (my biceps are already dead from pullups at this point), 12 x 35lb tricep extension (one DB held with both hands), 3 sets total
Shrugs - As many as possible in 30s using 60-70lb per hand, rest, repeat for 3 sets

Day 2: Cardio
20min run

Day 3: Lower Body + Abs
Bulgarian Split Squats - 12 reps x 50lb total, 3 sets
DB Squats - 12 reps x 150lb, 3 sets
DB step ups onto bench - 12 reps x 40lb, 3 sets
Situps - 100 total in as little time as possible, resting minimal time whenever I hit failure

Day 4: Repeat Upper Body workout

Day 5: Cardio
20min run

Day 6: Endurance full body workout
All these in minimal time with minimal rest when hitting failure
50 pullups
100 leg raises
100 pushups
100 body weight squats
100 situps

Day 7: Cardio
20min run

That's what I have as the plan anyways, I always manage to fuck it up in one way or another though. I'd love to find a way to stick to this + a strict nutrition plan for a month just to see the results, someone motivate my ass! :lol:

Some good advice here, especially from mr Chryst Krispies. But a few pointers I would suggest or re-iterate:

Do quicker reps on the way "up" (but still with good form), and controlled slower movements on the way down. The fast twitch muscle fibres have the most room for growth, but it's also the duration of tension in your muscles that add growth. Try aiming for 1 second up, 3 seconds down so ten reps take 40 seconds.

Change your workout routine so you're not doing the same 'comfort zone' exercises.

Also, gradually lift heavier weights. Like with above, you need to shock your muscles with something new to encourage growth.

Perform more compound muscle moves (deadlifts, pull ups, squats seated rows) which engage more muscle groups.

In slight contrast to what someone else said, fewer reps (4-8) improves strength rather than muscle growth. You want to be doing 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps for muscle size growth.

Lift heavier weights e.g. compound moves at the start of your workout.

Eggs on brown toast for breakfast. Salmon/Cod/Tuna and veg for dinner!

HEY MARCUS. I LIEK YOU. I LIEK YOUR FACE.... IZ NIICE!

marcus.jpg

chryst krispies pretty much laid it all out there. stick to the simple compound movements. If you are going to do isolated exercises in between or after the big exercises, then hit them hard and do high reps. I haven't been able to work out for the past 2 months due to a broken wrist but here is my basic routine...
monday - bench press, dumbell flies, dips, standing military press, dumbbell side lateral raises (make sure to keep your hands lower than your delts), front raises, 2-3 sets of tricep work.
tuesday - yates row, one arm dumbbell row, pullups, shrugs, hammer curl, some kind of preacher or concentration curl, forearm work (my favorite is standing with dumbbells at my side and curling them upward, inside and outside)
skip
thursday - deadlift (very important exercise, just start light and work on form), leg press (I'm no good with squats due to lower back issues), leg curl, some type of calf exercise.
skip
I usually do sit up and crunches at home so I don't bother doing abs at the gym.
saturday - start over
of course change 1 or 2 things up every now and then to keep your body guessing.

I had the same story... I can eat as much as I want (or much, much more even) without gaining any mass. 100% ectomorphic body type. I can burn all calories of a fat-oozing pizza in about 10 seconds or something.
I've done the workout thing for about 2,5 years, been on the muscle forums to learn everything I could, switched routines, tried the diets, the protein powder stuff, everything. My maintenance calory need must be higher than 6000...

I actually believe the big bang happened because somebody just like me tried to eat enough to at least once get over his maintenance calories and the hypermass in his belly decided to suddenly expand... then galaxies and stuff formed... :D

Well, after a while I decided that, except for the mass gaining effects, I had achieved my main goals... feeling fit and healthy, counteracting the bad effects of my IT office day job, having good posture. So I stopped the powder thing (only measurable effects was being able to produce menacing farts), but I continued to eat healthy and work out regularly (about twice a week). No more unsatisfaction, more time for music -> more happiness.

That's only my story, I certainly don't want to try to stop you! :)

You might be what they call a "hardgainer." I'm definitely one of them. I was the same way, doing 3 or 4 sets of excercises, the second 2 sets always to failure. I then became kinda obsessed with figuring out my problem and did lots of research. There are lots of studies that show that doing 1 set to absolute complete failure is just as good as 2+ sets, and that the extra sets can often cause too much muscle fatigue for some people and their muscles don't recover and rebuild as well. Some even lose muscle mass.

So after doing all the research, I moved to just 2 sets: one warmup set and one to complete failure. Also, I stuck to just real basic excercises: bench, shoulder press, rows, squats, deadlifts, and bicep curls...that's it. These excercises cover all the muscles. 2 workouts per week and never the same excercise more than once a week...day 1 would be chest and shoulders and deadlifts, day 2 would be squats, rows and bicep curls. Squats and deadlifts are really big mass builders as they work out more muscles than any other excercise. My workouts were literally only 15 minutes. Also, ALWAYS shoot for 1 more rep or more weight, even if it's 1 lb. on every excercise each week. I gained about 30 pounds of lean muscle in a year. Keep in mind, this type of workout is more geared for gaining mass. Now that I'm the size I want to be, I do more sets with higher reps and don't push quite as hard on the last rep of the last set.

This has some great info:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/body-building/hardgainer-faq/

Alright, jumping off the "jocks and metal" thread, here's my dilemma - I've been lifting weights regularly for the past ~3 years now, and I fucking bust my ass in the gym like you wouldn't believe - seriously, low reps, lifting until complete rep failure, borderline shitting my intestines out (not really, but you know), and I just can't put on any sizable mass.

Sounds like overtraining...
Catabolism.

My current routine is:
Monday: Back/biceps
Wednesday: Chest/Delts/Tris
Friday: Quads/Hams/Abs (fuck calves, too much effort :D)

Good.
Don't change anything here.

And every week I do a different excercise for each muscle group, varying on a 4 week cycle (so for chest, for example, week 1 dumbbell presses, week 2 flyes, week 3 incline, week 4 bench), and like I said, I do 4 sets of reps, starting semi-light with 6 reps as a warm up, then upping the weight for each set (so with the dumbbell chest presses, 6x@35 lbs. per hand, then 5x 40, another 5x 40, and then 4x 45). This may not seem like much weight, but I'm telling you, I give it my absolute all to make that amount of reps, and if I find I can do more, then I up the weight.

Hmm many different theories...
I don't agree with doing different exercises every week - your nervous system has to learn the movement to be good at doing it (so called muscle memory).
Stay away from dumbbells and limit machine use as much as possible.
Barbell is your friend.

So really, I kinda feel like genetically my body type is that of a pretty skinny dude with not much muscle definition, and no amount of exercise is gonna drastically change that (pics in my myspace in my sig, and note the dates of them in the captions, cuz I have improved a bit over the years ;)). However, I'm open to suggestions!

Don't worry :)
You may be an ectomorph but everyone CAN put on muscle.

And, I eat A LOT, good god - I've tried the protein powders (I still take 'em), the high-calorie protein powders, and just eating a fuckload of protein/calories in general, and I find all it really does is just add a bit more fat, not much more muscle. So...suggestions? (Tony? You're the one going to college for this crap after all :D)

LOL @ "eating a lot".

I heard it soooo many times just to later see some laughably low amounts of food that stuffs the guy who said "a lot".

If you are not growing even though you train like a madman it means that you are overtraining.

Overtraining is training (damaging muscle) more than you can repair by a good rest and good diet.

So...

Train less
or
Do nothing, sleep, rest more
or
Eat more protein and calories

Human body is all about biochemistry, it works the same way for everyone.
So to grow you have to not destroy it as often and supply more materials than enough to just repair it.

About training less:

Example chest training workout:

Do a quick warm up with no weight.
Ok warm up is very important but you can kinda substitute a full warm up by taking a 15 minute hot bath before the workout so your muscles are already and literally warm before you start moving them with that quick warm up.

After the warm up do few nervous system kickstarting sets with 1 rep each.

Now do the 1 rep max set.

Then few (3 to 5) 3 rep sets at about 60% to 80% of 1 rep max and finish with 1 set of about 40% 1rm as many reps as you can.

1 movement type.

Flat bench barbell press.

Now few sets for triceps and you are done.

(I can omit delts because mine grow enough from pec and back training.)

About eating more:
Weigh and count every gram of your food.
Always.
Buy some digestive enzymes and appetite increasing herbs and vitaminum b12.
Generally forget about "normal" food.
Learn how to battle with vomit reflex.
Whenever i feel like i am going to vomit i trick my brain by starting to cough... works for me (most of the time hehehe).

Thanks dude, though I actually have started a new routine since starting this thread (thanks to the help of Chryst Krispies), though I'll look over your suggestions too, I'm sure there are some good ones!

Add Kyokushin Karate to that, trust me. It'll definitely put you in shape and help a lot with legs, abs, cardio but also mental endurance (though it might not shape your muscles as much as machines would). :D
And protein powders are not necessary if you eat meat normally, it's sales gimmick. (REALLY profitable)

It's all good. You weren't being a dick at all. (And this might be off-topic but do you speak French? like Québec French? Judging by the Ta Yeule under your name...)