Workout routines

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Alright, jumping off the "jocks and metal" thread, here's my dilemma - I've been lifting weights regularly for the past ~3 years now, and I fucking bust my ass in the gym like you wouldn't believe - seriously, low reps, lifting until complete rep failure, borderline shitting my intestines out (not really, but you know), and I just can't put on any sizable mass. My current routine is:

Monday: Back/biceps
Wednesday: Chest/Delts/Tris
Friday: Quads/Hams/Abs (fuck calves, too much effort :D)

And every week I do a different excercise for each muscle group, varying on a 4 week cycle (so for chest, for example, week 1 dumbbell presses, week 2 flyes, week 3 incline, week 4 bench), and like I said, I do 4 sets of reps, starting semi-light with 6 reps as a warm up, then upping the weight for each set (so with the dumbbell chest presses, 6x@35 lbs. per hand, then 5x 40, another 5x 40, and then 4x 45). This may not seem like much weight, but I'm telling you, I give it my absolute all to make that amount of reps, and if I find I can do more, then I up the weight.

So really, I kinda feel like genetically my body type is that of a pretty skinny dude with not much muscle definition, and no amount of exercise is gonna drastically change that (pics in my myspace in my sig, and note the dates of them in the captions, cuz I have improved a bit over the years ;)). However, I'm open to suggestions!

And, I eat A LOT, good god - I've tried the protein powders (I still take 'em), the high-calorie protein powders, and just eating a fuckload of protein/calories in general, and I find all it really does is just add a bit more fat, not much more muscle. So...suggestions? (Tony? You're the one going to college for this crap after all :D)

I suggest you google the very old threads where CJ and guys where still posting in. Helped me a lot.
Afaik there is 2 different types of those who burn fat. The slow burner and the fast burner or whatever the terms are in your language.
Anyways, sounds like you are the former, like I am. Also it depends on what TYPE of calories you're eating and such.
I'm sure others can give a more in-depth take on this so I'll just stop here :D

Hmm, I don't suppose you could dig 'em up Bernhard? ;) Cuz I have no idea what to look for

And I don't think I'm a slow-burner if I understand the term, cuz my metabolism is a fucking blast furnace, I'm 5'11" 155 lbs., and would be even lighter if I didn't touch a weight

It's hard to say really with limited info, but here's some suggestions I can give you cause I've been there.

I started at 6'2 160 ~13%BF
~2 years later I'm 6'2 217 at about 11%BF
My goal is 230 ~9-10 BF

Now, I probably have different fitness goals than you do, but a few common threads run through this.

Your split looks legit for a three day, but honestly I've never done a 3x a week routine. I've always done a 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off routine at about 45 minutes -i hour each time.

If you wanna keep it 3 days that'll still work you just gotta up the intensity.
So here's what I'd do.

For each primary group (Back, Chest, Legs)
I'd do 2-3 exercises with 6-15 reps. Now , each week I'd go a different route. So week 1 High rep ~12-15 week two 8-12 rep etc. etc
I'd start each workout with a compound movement (press etc)
So Incline Press, Fly, maybe a flat press or dips or something for the third. You get the picture

Each smaller muscle group (Shoulders, Arms, etc)
I'd do these following the bigger groups and I'd do about 2 sets. Same thing alter the rep scheme every week. It sounds like it's confusing but it's really not.
These you can get creative with super sets, and drop sets if you wish to up the intensity.
Db curls super setted or Stagger setted with lying triceps extensions for instance.

Lat raises with seated db shouler presses etc.

The diet is critical.
After your workout drink a shake, and have a fast acting carb (simple carb) This will spike your insulin level and drive the nutrients into the muscles.

You already know about consuming every three hours, so I'd just make sure that you are getting enough carbohydrates and fats aS the unsaturated fats raise different hormones in your body optimal for muscle building.
Protein consumption is a no brainer.

I'd keep a small notebook with your workout in it and write down the weights and reps

EX
BARBELL ROW
135X15 185X12 225X8

ya know?

This really helped me keep track and try harder to get stronger every workout.

It's a bitch but it's up to what you want to achieve personally that makes it hard for me to explain.

Damn, you guys are making me feel like a fatty lol.

I've been saying for the past year or so that I will join the gym, start running, etc. etc. but it never seems to happen. I lack motivation like a motherfucker.

Granted, I'm not hideusly overweight or anything, but could stand to lose 20lbs or so. Also I have zero definition which I'd love to change.

Someone, psych me up...go!

-Joe

Damn, you guys are making me feel like a fatty lol.

I've been saying for the past year or so that I will join the gym, start running, etc. etc. but it never seems to happen. I lack motivation like a motherfucker.

Granted, I'm not hideusly overweight or anything, but could stand to lose 20lbs or so. Also I have zero definition which I'd love to change.

Someone, psych me up...go!

-Joe

Funny... I was reading this, thinking the same thing.

Tony, thanks dude, much appreciated - I've already got the notebook thing down (and the post-workout shake), and I definitely do wanna keep it to three times a week (that's all my sanity will afford me :D), but I should've figured upping the intensity in the form of more than one exercise per muscle group each workout would be the ticket; I'll have more questions I'm sure as I start to really formulate it, but that's a great start, thanks man! :headbang:

And Joe...motivation, eh? Umm....

DO IT NOW!!!!!! GIRLY MAHN!! :D

Tony, thanks dude, much appreciated - I've already got the notebook thing down (and the post-workout shake), and I definitely do wanna keep it to three times a week (that's all my sanity will afford me :D), but I should've figured upping the intensity in the form of more than one exercise per muscle group each workout would be the ticket; I'll have more questions I'm sure as I start to really formulate it, but that's a great start, thanks man! :headbang:
Sure thing.

If there's anything I know, it's this shit.
I get the three day a week thing too. We can't all be insane haha.

You got any more questions and I'll for sure help out.

:cool:

Best advice I can give is to change it up drastically. I was working out with a dude (at 16 he was 6' 4", 215 lbs. and benching 200 lbs.) who had me a 12 rep 3 set heavy weight schedule which worked great for him, but not so much for me. On my days when I wasn't working out with him I started doing lighter weight but more sets, and instantly I knew it was doing me better. Unfortunately he decided to be a prick about things and has since dissolved our friendship (versely the working out too), so I'm back to getting away with what ever I can by myself.

Vary it like crazy until you find something that works best. Then at random times throw in a power set to keep yourself from plateauing. (Power set squat days SUCK but man do they bulk up those quads...)

Well fuck you guys I drink and smoke like its going out of fashion, live on nothing but pizza and salad, drink at least 2 liters of coke every day and spend most of my time sat down either on the computer or monged out watching some david lynch shit.

I LOVE MY LIFE MORE THAN YOU GUYS EVER WILL :D:D:D:kickass:

Right now I'm cutting, so my routine adds in a shit ton of extra cardio.

I lift 3x a week and am doing cardio 6x per week. Sunday, I rest.

I switch up my routine every 4 weeks. I'm looking to be as balanced as I can as far as strength, flexibility, coordination, size, etc.

For me, size has been the hardest thing for me to obtain. So, my goal is to get down to where I was late last year... 6'3, 174 with about 9% BF and cut, just too skinny!

After that, I want to slowly do a body recomp and eat slightly above my maintenance calories for a long period of time. This way, I can slowly gain weight while (hopefully) keep at or near my same BF%.

But really, get a solid routine, a solid diet and you're on the right path.

Google ripptoes "Starting Strength" for a really good routine for beginners. This should put some mass on you with the proper diet :)

Hope it helps..

And I don't think I'm a slow-burner if I understand the term, cuz my metabolism is a fucking blast furnace, I'm 5'11" 155 lbs., and would be even lighter if I didn't touch a weight

Tell me about it, I'm 5'8" and 134.

I can eat shedloads and not put on any weight.

If your looking to build mass, I suggest less reps and higher weight. More reps build higher definition. More weight builds muscle.

Alternate in between your routine. Do a Max-out set. (where you start out low weight/high rep and keep adding weight while lowering your reps and then take it back down again.) I heavily suggest a spotter while attempting this. The point is to get the weight as high as you can and push it up about 2-3 times. Then keep taking weight off and increasing your reps on the way down.

Bench press is always a good application for this along with the leg press.

I'm 5'11" 155 lbs., and would be even lighter if I didn't touch a weight

gayg.jpg