The Fitness Thread

Used to be out of shape as fuck before joining the military. Started working out on my own couple of years ago but due to training can never work out consistently for more than 2-3 months straight. Right now my average #s are

Height 5'5
Weight 160

Flat Bench: 225 (10-12 reps/3 sets)
Hammer Curl: 50s (Same)
Lat Pulldown: 160 (Same)
Deadlifts: 305 (Same)
Squat: 245 (Same)

I do more workouts than that but those are some of the big ones. I try to balance weight and reps. 2 out of 3 meals during the week are Protein shakes (NOW Foods sells 10lb bags of chocolate whey isolate for around 80$ shipped, lasts a long time.) Then I just eat a balanced meal at the chow hall for lunch.

I run/bike a lot too. 5 mins mandatory on a bike before every workout + morning cardio 3 days a week. My best run time right now is 3 miles in 19:57. Trying to get that time down to 18 minutes but its difficult.

Edit: To those talking about improving your running, breathing is definitely HUGE. If you are trying to push your speed up, you actually have to think about your breathing more than anything. If you can get your breathing to rhythm match your strides it helps a lot. One misconception is that just jogging will improve your overall speed over time. Not by much. Your body will improve to the demands you require of it. You gotta make it hurt to get gains. Easy workouts just sustain.

To those talking about improving your running, breathing is definitely HUGE. If you are trying to push your speed up, you actually have to think about your breathing more than anything. If you can get your breathing to rhythm match your strides it helps a lot. One misconception is that just jogging will improve your overall speed over time. Not by much. Your body will improve to the demands you require of it. You gotta make it hurt to get gains. Easy workouts just sustain.

I always wondered what people meant by that?? I have to take deep breaths when I run. I can't breathe to match my stride, or it's difficult... I take it you would have breath very fast to get your breaths to match your stride?? Dude, I'm slow as shit when it comes to running. I can only do a mile in about 11.3 minutes. My chins give out like crazy, I usually have to massage my chins after running. I did 7 around the lake one time about a year ago & my knees hurt for like 10 days, may have been longer...

Just go at a comfortable pace man, it's not about getting there fast just getting there period. Build the endurance first, then the speed later.
Actually, I need speed :erk:. During the week I get home from school at around 3:30. I need to do all my homework, eat dinner, play guitar for 2 hours, and go for a 45 minute run between then and 11:00, any time left over being used for actual fun. So speed is of the essence.

I walk/run 10-15 miles a week. I've lost a lot of weight by eating one meal a day.
That's not healthy. You'll lose weight, but at some point you'll have to start eating healthily again and when that happens unless you do an intense fitness routine you'll probably gain most of it back.

My chins give out like crazy, I usually have to massage my chins after running.

I hope you mean shins.
Because I'm seeing a fat guy rubbing his chins.

What are some exercises to work the upper arms and shoulders? My bicep workout is fine, but I'm not really getting anywhere with the bench press. I'm chiefly interested in gaining bulk in this regard, though not gorilla arms like Belligerent.

What are some exercises to work the upper arms and shoulders? My bicep workout is fine, but I'm not really getting anywhere with the bench press. I'm chiefly interested in gaining bulk in this regard, though not gorilla arms like Belligerent.

Gorilla arms FTMFW! Try some of these: shrugs, military presses, bavarian deadlift, barbell dead lifts, dumbbell raises over head, ect., ect. Most of these work your entire upper torso, so have at it. And most of them burn like the aftermath of the hooker you stuck your dip stick in last night. :headbang:

Also there is what me and a friend call 'ews and ahs' it's a military press where you start behind your head on your shoulders (like a squat), raise the curl bar over your head then lower the curl bar in front of your face down below your chin. Do those and you'll be feeling the fire of desire!

Not trying to "one-up" you Mathias or anything...

maxes:

flat bench: 375
incline: 350
decline: 395
shoulders(above head w/ dumbbells) 120's

im sure theres more but...

Yeah well I'm not 6'5 300 lbs, and I don't use creatine :lol:

Also, I left out my power clean max, which is 200 lbs.

I am one of the biggest dudes here in terms of size and I seem to be one of the weakest.

Whatever.

I do cardio though, so I'm not about getting insanely big. I just want to gain some muscle tone and be healthier.

i work out 3-4 times a week. 3 of the 4 are work things, and we have a loose program that usually involves running and a little muscle work. it can range from 5 mile runs top ultimate frisbee (w/ push up penalties). the 4th night is dance stuff, which is more of a workout than the mandatory stuff hehe
~gR~

I watch TV and eat leftovers from meetings at work.

I was working out about 2 years ago and enjoying it. I had a torn rotator cuff that limited my ability to push my workouts, so I got shoulder surgery. Haven't worked out since.

I also enjoy movies and popcorn.

I watch TV and eat leftovers from meetings at work.

I was working out about 2 years ago and enjoying it. I had a torn rotator cuff that limited my ability to push my workouts, so I got shoulder surgery. Haven't worked out since.

I also enjoy movies and popcorn.

Getting plenty of exercise lifting the fork/popcorn to your mouth!

When I say your breathing needs to match your strides I dont mean a an inha;e/exhale per stride.
Personal example, I inhale per 2 foot-falls, IE: Left/Right one breath in. Then I exhale in two short bursts on the next two footfalls, helps keep it in rhythm.
Also,doing sprint workouts on seperate days is really good for expanding your lung capacity/quick oxygen processing.