The Football Thread!

Yeah, the game was disappointing but it proved me right in my assessment of Inter being a more balanced team. For disarming Bayern, you have to take Robben out of the game. And Inter did just that. With Ribery missing, Bayern's offence was just too harmless and unimaginative.

Problem is in the Dutch squad we also have, Sneijder, van der Vaart & van Persie who need the same treatment as Robben. Very close on defense, and atleast 1 backup behind him..

Inter constantly had 3 guys following Robben..but for our national squad we have more guys with the same quality as Robben..so doing that is pretty much impossible on 4 forwards.

On the contrary, our defensive line-up isn't that strong....:(
Defense:
v.d. Wiel (ajax)
Mathijssen (HSV hamburg)
Heitinga (Everton)
van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord)

Problem is in the Dutch squad we also have, Sneijder, van der Vaart & van Persie who need the same treatment as Robben. Very close on defense, and atleast 1 backup behind him..

Inter constantly had 3 guys following Robben..but for our national squad we have more guys with the same quality as Robben..so doing that is pretty much impossible on 4 forwards.

On the contrary, our defensive line-up isn't that strong....:(
Defense:
v.d. Wiel (ajax)
Mathijssen (HSV hamburg)
Heitinga (Everton)
van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord)

Slash was talking about the Champion's league final and how Robben is played in Bayern, I don't think he tried to say that the dutch team will be easily defeated without Robben, who will be missing at least the first matches and Iguess that's why you though he meant that

Slash was talking about the Champion's league final and how Robben is played in Bayern, I don't think he tried to say that the dutch team will be easily defeated without Robben, who will be missing at least the first matches and Iguess that's why you though he meant that

I actually just tried to move from CL finals > WC 2010 :)...and Robben was a great example to take in account..

Anyhow, I think he'll be missing the first 2 matches for sure. We shouldn't take any risk with him, we've got enough great players that could fill his shoes. The only thing that makes him stronger then some of his competitors is the speed he has.. which forces the opponents defense allready 2 -5 meters further back on their own half alone..

Yeah, Robben has quite a different role and status in the Dutch national team. He creates danger with fast runs over the wings but he's not the sole creative backbone of the team as he was with Bayern when there was no Ribery (which was quite often).

FINALLY! It's been 5 years since we've played in the Champions League! The past 8/10 years all the talent left to early. Now for the first time in 5 year Ajax managed to keep on to their top players for another year, and we finally managed to get to the Champions League again. We even gained a few great players!

I seriously hope we finally can climb out of the weak period that we had over the last 10 years, and go forward again from now. I don't see us winning any european prices, but the money involved in the champions league is important to keep the club on a certain level.

FINALLY! It's been 5 years since we've played in the Champions League! The past 8/10 years all the talent left to early. Now for the first time in 5 year Ajax managed to keep on to their top players for another year, and we finally managed to get to the Champions League again. We even gained a few great players!

I seriously hope we finally can climb out of the weak period that we had over the last 10 years, and go forward again from now. I don't see us winning any european prices, but the money involved in the champions league is important to keep the club on a certain level.

Just saw their goals today. The second one is amazing ( check below at 0:28). Such a beautiful team play!

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on Chelsea ! Not a bad draw , tough but we have had worse .
Fingers crossed we get a bit of luck this time and go all the way .
The season feels properly under way once the CL starts . Never been to
an away leg in europe but had plenty of good times at the bridge , nice to
avoid Jose for the mo as well .

I so missed having to hunt down Arabian live-streams to see my team facing off Azerbaijan's champ. <3

Off-season is torture, even with WCs or ECs.

Ah man...first time in 5 years we play Champions League again and we're up against AC Milan, Real Madrid & Auxerre.
Saturday tickets will go on sale. I'll by a ticket for all 3 games! I need to be there.

I think that never in the Champions League history there has been a group that has 3 teams in there with a total of 20 Champions League cups on their tophy list.

Just saw their goals today. The second one is amazing ( check below at 0:28). Such a beautiful team play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8zYXcoTj0g

It seriously was a joy to be there and see that happen. First half we didn't play at the top of our game. Second half we did.

Come on Chelsea ! Not a bad draw , tough but we have had worse .
Fingers crossed we get a bit of luck this time and go all the way .
The season feels properly under way once the CL starts . Never been to
an away leg in europe but had plenty of good times at the bridge , nice to
avoid Jose for the mo as well .

ah good to see someone else who's chelsea on here

season definitely feels like its started now, what with the first away out the way. december is going to be a long wait to hit europe, might look into doing moscow, just not sure if many people will be going.

i dont think we'll ever win the champs league......sods law that if we do it will be at wembley which will be shit (although id still accept winning it anywhere).

you go down chelsea much?

Yeah I try to get to as many home games as poss went to a couple away last year too . I dont have a season ticket and year after year it gets harder to get the tickets . I know what you mean about not winning the CL it has felt like we are jinxed at times . I think we have as good a shot this year as any and hopefully Jose does not pull off another miracle , no doubt we will play Madrid before it's all said and done .

This is ridiculous!! Just want to order tickets for the champions league games...prices have gone up with 200% with champions league 5 years ago and regular tickets for any season game now! THIS IS INSANE!!!!!! The tickets I bought last year for the Europe League cost me 54,50 per ticket..now I have to pay 110,50!!!!!!!!!!!!

image-132550-galleryV9-wpsu.jpg

:D:D:tickled::worship::worship:

I did the live broadcast of the halftime and final results today and I'll openly admit my professional distance and neutrality just went straight to hell-I-don't-care.

And I was just about to wrap up the show in great spirits and then the news of the shooting came in...